Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,284 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Advice on upgrading?

Tip us?
 
stamina11
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 16
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default Advice on upgrading?

Hey guys,
I apologize in advance if i am not up to speed on all the posts and news of S4 development.
My Verizon S4, is still running ME7 and i guess i keep waiting to get unlocked bootloader but it seems that probably will never happen since there are so many builds beyond that already.
Just to verify, ME7 and any of the later builds still have locked bootloader is that right?
Would you guy recommend that i do the update and switch to something newer? Hyperdrive is great, but running it through Safestrap is not ideal. At the same time i don't want just running a stock TouchWiz, which is the worst every.
Anyway, i am sorry if these are newb questions.
 
decaturbob
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 766
Posts: 2,253
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina11 View Post
Hey guys,
I apologize in advance if i am not up to speed on all the posts and news of S4 development.
My Verizon S4, is still running ME7 and i guess i keep waiting to get unlocked bootloader but it seems that probably will never happen since there are so many builds beyond that already.
Just to verify, ME7 and any of the later builds still have locked bootloader is that right?
Would you guy recommend that i do the update and switch to something newer? Hyperdrive is great, but running it through Safestrap is not ideal. At the same time i don't want just running a stock TouchWiz, which is the worst every.
Anyway, i am sorry if these are newb questions.
I really don't understand your comment on Hyperdrive and safestrap. I can go nearly 48hrs between charging my battery...I can customize to my heart content...everything works with no fcs. ..no reboots. You are definitely out of the loop

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat
 
adamklo
Old
#3  
adamklo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 519
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina11 View Post
Hey guys,
I apologize in advance if i am not up to speed on all the posts and news of S4 development.
My Verizon S4, is still running ME7 and i guess i keep waiting to get unlocked bootloader but it seems that probably will never happen since there are so many builds beyond that already.
Just to verify, ME7 and any of the later builds still have locked bootloader is that right?
Would you guy recommend that i do the update and switch to something newer? Hyperdrive is great, but running it through Safestrap is not ideal. At the same time i don't want just running a stock TouchWiz, which is the worst every.
Anyway, i am sorry if these are newb questions.
Glad I found your post, as I have been laying low for a while now and had the EXACT same question! I've been on HyperDrive RLS9.1 for a few months and, while I'm totally happy with it, I'm getting the itch to flash. I know the "ROMs that work with SS/ME7" thread is no longer updated and since 4.4.2 leaked, I'm wondering the same thing as you: would it be wise to update the OS past ME7? I'm pissed that as soon as I got my phone I let it OTA to ME7, but I had read everyone talking about NOT updating as they would likely lock out SS and such.

So, if I update (or flash) to a newer version, are there any significant benefits, or should I stick on ME7?
Samsung Galaxy S4
SS 3.72, Debloated Xposed Stock NC5
Big Red
 
Mistertac
Old
#4  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1260
Posts: 2,917
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamklo View Post
Glad I found your post, as I have been laying low for a while now and had the EXACT same question! I've been on HyperDrive RLS9.1 for a few months and, while I'm totally happy with it, I'm getting the itch to flash. I know the "ROMs that work with SS/ME7" thread is no longer updated and since 4.4.2 leaked, I'm wondering the same thing as you: would it be wise to update the OS past ME7? I'm pissed that as soon as I got my phone I let it OTA to ME7, but I had read everyone talking about NOT updating as they would likely lock out SS and such.

So, if I update (or flash) to a newer version, are there any significant benefits, or should I stick on ME7?
Right now you can still use SafeStrap with the updated bootloaders. And there are more ROM options for you too. Yes you will update your bootloader to a Knox one but people are still actively trying to find an exploit on those. If you want my opinion yea go ahead and update... But think about it in the end its your call

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
 
adamklo
Old
#5  
adamklo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 519
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta
Can you point me to a thread that can walk me through the latest update/upgrade process?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
Samsung Galaxy S4
SS 3.72, Debloated Xposed Stock NC5
Big Red
 
adamklo
Old
#6  
adamklo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 519
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta
It's been two months since I posted last. My original question still remains: can someone show/tell me the process to upgrade my VZW S4 ME7 to a more recent build and the ROMs that available for it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
Samsung Galaxy S4
SS 3.72, Debloated Xposed Stock NC5
Big Red
 
decaturbob
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 766
Posts: 2,253
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamklo View Post
It's been two months since I posted last. My original question still remains: can someone show/tell me the process to upgrade my VZW S4 ME7 to a more recent build and the ROMs that available for it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
There are threads and videos available to check out so in 2 months you haven't research anything?

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat
 
adamklo
Old
#8  
adamklo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 519
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta
There's a lot going on and it's very overwhelming.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
Samsung Galaxy S4
SS 3.72, Debloated Xposed Stock NC5
Big Red

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Run, Jump, and Shoot in Tales of Ciaxia

There are certain types of games that have become paramount of the portable gaming world. As we have … more

Samsung Gear Live Stock Firmware Image Pulled, Temp Root

Just yesterday,XDA Recognized Developer and TV ProducerAdamOutlertore apart … more