XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(SOLVED)Lost IMEI/empty efs folder

Tip us?

jamesd1085
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Default (SOLVED)Lost IMEI/empty efs folder

I had some major issues after flashing a new rom with latest version of philz advanced recovery...I lost my efs data and all data connectivity... After doing some reading I saw posts saying that flashing stock in Odin would fix my problem quickly and easily...went through that whole process and it fixed my connection...I was then stuck in factory mode and did more reading...according to everything I read I could fix this easily with a file edit...it stated That all I needed to do was navigate with a root explorer app to efs/FactoryApp/factory mode and change off to on...and then to efs/FactoryApp/keystr and also change off to on...easy right...wrong...my efs folder was completely empty...I searched and searched for an answer to my problems for 2 weeks...no luck...I came across many people with jflte and same issue...none ever found successful fix or just never posted it...I did try backing up my efs when I first rooted...but the app I used backed up mmcblk0p3...our efs is located at mmcblk0p10...so my backup was actually for sbl1...awesome...after countless hours of tinkering and reading I came across an old post from a gs2 forum and it did lead me to believe that my efs partition had been formatted to the wrong format to be mountable...after trying every tool I could find to reformat it to ext4...I gave up...I called a Samsung service center and was sending it in to be fixed...they said it would be updated when I got it back...I'm on mdk and was heartbroken to hear this...got a case of the f its and started tinkering more...went back to gs2 thread and someone has posted about an app on play store called gs2_repair...it works...it mounts the partition correctly in ext4 and from there I had to fix permissions or it would unmount on reboot...just following the 2 file edits I talked about previously got me out of factory mode and I was good to go...hope this helps somebody else!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesd1085 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Surge1223
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2157

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd1085 View Post
I had some major issues after flashing a new rom with latest version of philz advanced recovery...I lost my efs data and all data connectivity... After doing some reading I saw posts saying that flashing stock in Odin would fix my problem quickly and easily...went through that whole process and it fixed my connection...I was then stuck in factory mode and did more reading...according to everything I read I could fix this easily with a file edit...it stated That all I needed to do was navigate with a root explorer app to efs/FactoryApp/factory mode and change off to on...and then to efs/FactoryApp/keystr and also change off to on...easy right...wrong...my efs folder was completely empty...I searched and searched for an answer to my problems for 2 weeks...no luck...I came across many people with jflte and same issue...none ever found successful fix or just never posted it...I did try backing up my efs when I first rooted...but the app I used backed up mmcblk0p3...our efs is located at mmcblk0p10...so my backup was actually for sbl1...awesome...after countless hours of tinkering and reading I came across an old post from a gs2 forum and it did lead me to believe that my efs partition had been formatted to the wrong format to be mountable...after trying every tool I could find to reformat it to ext4...I gave up...I called a Samsung service center and was sending it in to be fixed...they said it would be updated when I got it back...I'm on mdk and was heartbroken to hear this...got a case of the f its and started tinkering more...went back to gs2 thread and someone has posted about an app on play store called gs2_repair...it works...it mounts the partition correctly in ext4 and from there I had to fix permissions or it would unmount on reboot...just following the 2 file edits I talked about previously got me out of factory mode and I was good to go...hope this helps somebody else!
This is actually really useful information. Im glad you figured this out, a lot of people have this issue and they usually dont ever find a solution (or post it if they did). Using the info you provided perhaps one of us on xda can create an all-in-one solution for this? If I have time ill explore doing this. Good to see people posting things that actually help the community for once.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jamesd1085
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge1223 View Post
This is actually really useful information. Im glad you figured this out, a lot of people have this issue and they usually dont ever find a solution (or post it if they did). Using the info you provided perhaps one of us on xda can create an all-in-one solution for this? If I have time ill explore doing this. Good to see people posting things that actually help the community for once.
Great!...I had hoped so...that's why I posted because it took two weeks of searching to figure out because there was no fix for our s4 so I tried a combo of many different fixes and lucked into something that actually worked...lol
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesd1085 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]