Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

[Q] Will the Bootloader Guide work for 2013 8.9"

29th January 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I read through the guide and a lot of the comments but I was wondering if anyone has successfully rooted their device with the 2013 model. My guess it that it wouldn't work since I think the operating systems are different.

Also, if anyone has done so on Ubuntu or Linux? How do you deal with drivers? In order to root my Kindle I had to use a super old Toshiba running Vista because I was having driver issues.

Thanks in advance.
30th January 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 608

2,215 posts
Donate to Me
More
Linux has the drivers built in typically. The boot loader process doesn't work on the new ones, they will hard brick if you try. There is root access available, I believe it's in the 7" general section.

Edit: looking for link, don't think root exploit works between devices a, think it's specific per model, and I only see the 7" one offhand. They really need to separate the new kindle from the last one so this info is easier to find...

Edit2: in my confusion (still awk confused) I thought the xzecond gen HD was only available in a 7" model because of how the device is listed under support on their site. I'm kinda sleepy don't feel like remembering tonight.
Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
Last edited by stunts513; 30th January 2014 at 08:30 AM.
30th January 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Cheers for the help.

I ended doing more research and even though I bought my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" in late 2013, I think when people say the 2013 Kindle Fire, they're referring to the HDX. Anyways, I went for it (after using ADB to confirm my device) and got the bootloader and cm11 (4.4) running on my Kindle!
30th January 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 608

2,215 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ah OK in that case you have a 2012 kindle fire hd so everything's good, that could have ended horribly if it hadn't been the case. Also there is a second gen HD kindle fire that we call the 2013 model and it isn't the hdx, unlike the kf2 that was a bit better then the kf1, the second gen hd's are kinda the opposite, the are the same except they took the camera out... And they are unflashable because we don't have a boot loader exploit for them.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
16th February 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

10 posts
WOW
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

Ah OK in that case you have a 2012 kindle fire hd so everything's good, that could have ended horribly if it hadn't been the case. Also there is a second gen HD kindle fire that we call the 2013 model and it isn't the hdx, unlike the kf2 that was a bit better then the kf1, the second gen hd's are kinda the opposite, the are the same except they took the camera out... And they are unflashable because we don't have a boot loader exploit for them.

I did not know that!! My Kindle Fire HD 8.9 has a camera. So it is a 2012 first generation. I have been looking all over the internet for this information.

Thank You!!
16th February 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #6  

8 posts
A KFHD 2nd gen brick victim here
Hello all,

I have unfortunately learned too late that I have the 2nd gen device
So I own a brick now. But I want to try the usbboot aboot *abootloader* trick I found in the web.
Unfortunately I have backup of my system and forgot to pull the boot0block.img file from the pad
So I am serching a stock 8.4.6 bootloader for flashing it back if possible. But I didn't find any file yet, I am reading and serching till friday evening every page on xda and more
Can someone give me a link or even a freshly extraced loader???
I thank you in advance.
I will give a response of my try in the thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2010353&page=4

Have a nice day

giderBey
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread