Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,035 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrading from Xperia V to Xperia SP. Worth it or not?

Tip us?

cnkhanh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 138
Default Upgrading from Xperia V to Xperia SP. Worth it or not?

Hi everyone, as the title says, I'm thinking of upgrading. But people says SP has a lot of hardware problems.
Further more, do you guys think the upgrade from Xperia V worth it? Aside from the SP's horsepower, which is obviously better, how bout the camera, battery, build quality,..?

Thanks in advance and if possible, please tell me some problems SP usually have so that I can check for it carefully when I buy the phone
p/s: SP is the only one in my price range so please don't suggest any other
Phone: Xperia ZL

madhukarmohan
Old
(Last edited by madhukarmohan; 6th January 2014 at 01:01 PM.) Reason: Added problems of SP
Thanks Meter 32
Default nooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkhanh View Post
Hi everyone, as the title says, I'm thinking of upgrading. But people says SP has a lot of hardware problems.
Further more, do you guys think the upgrade from Xperia V worth it? Aside from the SP's horsepower, which is obviously better, how bout the camera, battery, build quality,..?

Thanks in advance and if possible, please tell me some problems SP usually have so that I can check for it carefully when I buy the phone
hey, SP has its own standard. But, when u r upgrading from V, it wont sound good. V has better camera, IP 57 certified, better PPI, approx almost same processor (V: Dual1.5G; SP: Dual1.7G), same chipset, same RAM, same data rates. SP have a better GPU and battery.SP has bad viewing angles, comparitively bad camera than V. Put some extra bucks and try for Nexus 5. If you prefer only SONY made product, Xperia ZR will be a better option than SP. Nexus 5 and ZR both comes under almost same price bracket. So, decide..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madhukarmohan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cnkhanh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukarmohan View Post
hey, SP has its own standard. But, when u r upgrading from V, it wont sound good. V has better camera, IP 57 certified, better PPI, approx almost same processor (V: Dual1.5G; SP: Dual1.7G), same chipset, same RAM, same data rates. SP have a better GPU and battery.SP has bad viewing angles, comparitively bad camera than V. Put some extra bucks and try for Nexus 5. If you prefer only SONY made product, Xperia ZR will be a better option than SP. Nexus 5 and ZR both comes under almost same price bracket. So, decide..
Thanks but water proof is not much use for me. And SP's chipset is wayyy better which is a big advantage over V in my opinion. Bigger batery as well.
In my country Nexus 5 and ZR are a bit overpriced so they wont be an option for me More over, I'm a Sony fan
Phone: Xperia ZL

wiidbzxt
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I would personally wait a little more for Xperia 2014 mid range phone. Xperia V is still a good device, and it will have 4.3. SP is a little more powerful and has a slightly better battery, but Sony won't support it past 4.4. If you can find ZL for cheap where you live, that would be a good option too. Xperia SP's hardware isn't better than your V, screen is worse, the power button tends to break (I already got my SP swapped twice because the power button broke), Wi-Fi reception is very bad, borderline useless. Also, V's camera is much better for sure.
Current: Moto X XT1058

Previous phones: Moto V3 -> W350 -> W910 -> Samsung S5560 -> X10 -> G Note -> Xperia Mini Pro -> Xperia Pro -> Xperia P -> Xperia SP
The Following User Says Thank You to wiidbzxt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dSERiES
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Xperia SP is way better than V imo. Bigger screen, better battery, LED strip. Camera is quite good too (way better than Nexus 4). Hardware is also better (same GPU as Nexus 4, which is very powerful: Adreno 320).
If SP is not a big improvement for you, and you're a Sony fan, I would upgrade to Xperia Z, they are not much more expensivce than SPs. Official CM10.2 is there and CM11 is quite useable for that phone. I'm planning to switch soon.

User013
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I had Arc S then i bought Xperia sp and it was big improvement for me but you have dual core phone with 1GB of ram it's not that bad. Like wiidbzxt said wait a little more Sony will probably release some new mid range phone in 2014. Maybe some phone from Z series would be better also over time price will go down.
Stick with your Xperia V and wait few months, that is my opinion :P.
The Following User Says Thank You to User013 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raziel123
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukarmohan View Post

This is incorrect, the SP has a MSM 8960 Pro Krait Chipset with 1.7 Ghz Dual core plus Adreno 320

The V has 8960 1.5 Ghz Adreno 225
Latest device :HTC One M7 MaximusHD 42 Snapdragon 600

Kernel : ElementalX 16

settings 384 mhz to 1.7 ghz, On-Demand Governor, GPU throttling off, Run cool thermal setting

Old device : Galaxy S2 sold! Xperia S Sold! Xperia SP Sold! S3 I9305 sold! Xperia Z1 sold!

cachanilla86
Old
Thanks Meter 494

DONATE TO ME
It's 2014, avoid the SP. It was a good phone, but little to no updates makes the hardware useless. I'm selling mine this month. I got tired of trying roms.

aliiahmed.20
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkhanh View Post

Seriously DUDE ?????????|
you are giving Up water proof and 13 MP camera for such a little upgrade ??
just dont man if i had the Xperia V in my country i would have bought it instead of the Xperia SP if you really want to upgrade then wait and collect more money to get an LG G2 or Nexus 5 or HTC one

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSERiES View Post
Xperia SP is way better than V imo. Bigger screen, better battery, LED strip. Camera is quite good too (way better than Nexus 4). Hardware is also better (same GPU as Nexus 4, which is very powerful: Adreno 320).
If SP is not a big improvement for you, and you're a Sony fan, I would upgrade to Xperia Z, they are not much more expensivce than SPs. Official CM10.2 is there and CM11 is quite useable for that phone. I'm planning to switch soon.
Dude can you please give me a link to official CM 10.2 and if its just a download link tell me how to flash and what are the bugs and where to get the GAPPS and stuff like that ?
Thanks in advance

madhukarmohan
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Default plz read it correctly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel123 View Post
This is incorrect, the SP has a MSM 8960 Pro Krait Chipset with 1.7 Ghz Dual core plus Adreno 320

The V has 8960 1.5 Ghz Adreno 225
Hi.. I hv not told they have same features. I have used the words (approx almost same as) which matches them closely but not equally where SP wins closely.. Kindly look into it..

The Following User Says Thank You to madhukarmohan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]