Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,157 Members 42,922 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to tighten the keyboard dock?

Tip us?
 
huy_lonewolf
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 335
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore
Default [Q] How to tighten the keyboard dock?

Hi all,

I have been using my tf700 with the dock for more than a year now. I realize recently over time the connection between the dock and the tablet becomes rather loose and the tablet wobbles quite a bit back and forth (luckily everything is working properly). Since my tablet is out of warranty, I am thinking about fixing this myself, if possible. I know the issue of the dock becoming loose is quite common, but I have yet to see a DYI solution. Is this something I can fix myself?

Thanks a lot for your help.
 
sbdags
Old
#2  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12622
Posts: 11,127
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kenilworth, Coventry

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by huy_lonewolf View Post
Hi all,

I have been using my tf700 with the dock for more than a year now. I realize recently over time the connection between the dock and the tablet becomes rather loose and the tablet wobbles quite a bit back and forth (luckily everything is working properly). Since my tablet is out of warranty, I am thinking about fixing this myself, if possible. I know the issue of the dock becoming loose is quite common, but I have yet to see a DYI solution. Is this something I can fix myself?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Check if the screws under the 2 feet next to the hinge have come loose?
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10


ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701


Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!


Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development
 
Nico Stikker
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2014
On youtube I found this video describing the tear down of the dock.
Rats, I can't post a link yet. Well, search for 'Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime Dock Tear Down'
In the comments somebody is describing how to take the hinge apart.

The screws that you can see in the hinge (not the ones under the foam strip) might be worth tinkering with. The outer two seem to be sticking out a bit in my case. In fact they scrape my tablet a bit (two silver scratches just 2 cm outside the slots where the dock connects with the tablet). It might be that they could do with some tightening. Or perhaps by loosening them a bit more the fit gets more tight. I don't know, but worth trying, I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico Stikker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sbdags
Old
#4  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12622
Posts: 11,127
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kenilworth, Coventry

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Stikker View Post
On youtube I found this video describing the tear down of the dock.
Rats, I can't post a link yet. Well, search for 'Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime Dock Tear Down'
In the comments somebody is describing how to take the hinge apart.

The screws that you can see in the hinge (not the ones under the foam strip) might be worth tinkering with. The outer two seem to be sticking out a bit in my case. In fact they scrape my tablet a bit (two silver scratches just 2 cm outside the slots where the dock connects with the tablet). It might be that they could do with some tightening. Or perhaps by loosening them a bit more the fit gets more tight. I don't know, but worth trying, I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwAypkC26Cc

ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10


ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701


Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!


Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
huy_lonewolf
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 335
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore
Thanks all for your help. I guess I now have a new plan for this weekend lol.
 
graphdarnell
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 107
Posts: 501
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by huy_lonewolf View Post
Thanks all for your help. I guess I now have a new plan for this weekend lol.
I just did it myself with the help from the instructions HERE. 4 possibilities: (1) The screws holding the metal frame of the clamp to the bottom (inside); (2) the screws on the outside of the bottom that sdbags mentioned; (3) the screws along the rails inside the clamp (there are 4 on the bottom underneath the 2 plastic strips); (4) the 2 nuts at both ends of the metal frame of the clamp. I just re-tightened them all. No big deal, just be gentle with the plastic tab holding the keyboard and the bottom together. Have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to graphdarnell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
huy_lonewolf
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 335
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphdarnell View Post
I just did it myself with the help from the instructions HERE. 4 possibilities: (1) The screws holding the metal frame of the clamp to the bottom (inside); (2) the screws on the outside of the bottom that sdbags mentioned; (3) the screws along the rails inside the clamp (there are 4 on the bottom underneath the 2 plastic strips); (4) the 2 nuts at both ends of the metal frame of the clamp. I just re-tightened them all. No big deal, just be gentle with the plastic tab holding the keyboard and the bottom together. Have fun.
I did it. I followed the instructions and now the dock is like brand new. Thanks for your help.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes