MotoX 4.4 Dalvik Libs Increase Performance

21st November 2013, 09:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Beating up dumbbells
Thanks Meter: 597

1,960 posts
Check this thread out and read the remaining discussion (four pages)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...67843&page=197

Some peoples Antutu increased by 3k. Anyone willing to try it out? Can these libs be merged into ROM builds?

Here is the link to the separate bionic and dalvik libraries, instead of the original file which contains both. This link also contains a very nice FAQ.

Also, the new files were modded so it works on CM!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...87&postcount=1

More info. According to this it should work on any rooted android. Maybe because it's 4.4 related we need the latest tarp or clockwork to successfully flash it

http://www.androidbeat.com/2013/11/o...chmark-scores/

Quote:

Qualcomm optimized Dalvik libraries boost benchmark scores of Nexus devices
By Rajesh Pandey 7 hours ago.

Google is all set to replace Dalvik with ART (Android Run Time) in the next version of Android. Whatever lag issues that are present in Android currently can be blamed on the use of Dalvik, which compiles app when they are launched compared to ART pre-compiling apps. Comparisons between ART and Dalvik have shown that the former provides much superior performance in apps including lower load times and smoother animations etc.*

Android SoC vendors like Qualcomm have constantly used some proprietary tweaks to speed up Dalvik runtime on their SoCs, which have helped increase scores in benchmarks dramatically. However, since these optimizations are proprietary (closed source), they are not included in the Nexus devices and cannot be used by developers in custom ROMs, because of variations of OEM skins from stock Android. The lack of Dalvik optimizations is also the key reason why the Nexus devices always scored lower in benchmarks compared to offerings from other OEMs.

However, thanks to the Android 4.4 update for the Moto X, Nexus owners can now also enjoy the goodness of these closed source Dalvik optimizations. A senior XDA member, kszaq, has extracted the Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik libraries from the Moto X KitKat update, and repacked it into a CWM flashable ZIP file for Nexus devices.

Initial reports show that post the installation of the optimized Dalvik libraries, the benchmark scores of the Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7 jumps up by a pretty huge margin. The improvements in day to day usage, at least on my Nexus 5, are tough to say. The optimized Dalvik libraries should work on any rooted Android device, that is powered by Qualcomm’s Krait processor. Head over to this XDA thread for the download link.

Last edited by orangechoochoo; 28th November 2013 at 04:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to orangechoochoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2013, 09:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 775

1,780 posts
Donate to Me
Woah... I'm gonna have to try this later. Maybe this will keep me from having to switch back and forth between gpe and aosp.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk Pro
21st November 2013, 09:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Beating up dumbbells

1,960 posts
I was being adventurous because the libraries are for 4.4 but I'm on Carbon 4.3. Kept my fingers crossed after flashing and it stopped at the boot animation. I restored my nandroid and I'm back to normal.

Edit: I quoted an article in the op saying it should work. Will try again later.

Edit 2: tried with latest twrp, still hung at boot animation. I don't feel like trying clockwork, maybe someone else can.
Last edited by orangechoochoo; 21st November 2013 at 11:52 PM.
22nd November 2013, 12:28 AM   |  #4  

1,780 posts
Donate to Me
Oops, I didn't realize it was for 4.4. I was about to flash it on carbon too.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk Pro
22nd November 2013, 12:32 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 11

64 posts
I'm on cm11...I'll try

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd November 2013, 03:48 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Beating up dumbbells

1,960 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djelement1

I'm on cm11...I'll try

What happened?
22nd November 2013, 05:41 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 71

266 posts
Just tried on cm11 and crazy FC's had to reboot and restore

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

Finished that android upgrading screen and locked up with FC's

22nd November 2013, 11:10 AM   |  #8  

1,780 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswickedtoys

Just tried on cm11 and crazy FC's had to reboot and restore

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

Finished that android upgrading screen and locked up with FC's

That's unfortunate I hope we can get this working somehow... From what I'm reading it's an actual performance increase and not just for benchmarks. Maybe because how difficult it was to get our device working it's just not compatible?

Also I don't know if cm11 is deodexed or not but I would assume it is... You're using dalvik and not ART right?

Perhaps I'll flash a Kit Kat ROM this weekend, a different one that's closer to stock aosp and see if out works. I think everyone that's been using it has been on stock deodexed Kit Kat.

Edit: BTW if you have issues you shouldn't need to restore the whole ROM, just either restore the system partition or wipe system and reinstall the ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Last edited by jamiethemorris; 22nd November 2013 at 11:16 AM.
22nd November 2013, 12:49 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 71

266 posts
No I'm not using ART

22nd November 2013, 04:36 PM   |  #10  
Flag Erie
Thanks Meter: 40

133 posts
More
It appears it doesn't work with the CM11 Nightlies. It's supposed to be for deodexed roms.

Edit:
These libs appear to for Qualcomm Krait processors, which the DNA has. In theory devs should be able to get these libs to work.
Last edited by warpurlgis; 22nd November 2013 at 05:07 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.4, dalvik, dna, performance
Previous Thread Next Thread