Battery drain after 4.4 OTA...

1st December 2013, 03:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

103 posts
More
Hey guys, so before, when I was on 4.3, overnight I would only lose about 2 to 4 percent battery life. I would charge my Nexus 7 until 100 percent during the evening. Then I'd unplug it but not use it. I'd fall asleep and wake up about 8 hours later and the battery will be about 98 percent. This kind of battery life is outstanding and I would love for my Nexus 7 to reach this benchmark again. Last evening , I fully charged my nexus 7 (now on 4.4) and unplugged it and didn't use it. When I woke up 8 hours later, the battery was at 82 percent. I was surprised (this is the first time I noticed it. (I've been busy because I just took up driving, and it's Thanksgiving break... Plus I just received the OTA update on Thursday). Anyways I went to settings and tapped on battery, and noticed that Android OS was the culprit. I saw a forum where people stated that a factory reset would take care of the issue. I do not want to lose my app data and go through downloading and installing every single app again. Are there any troubleshooting steps I could go through to resolve my battery issue or should I just reset my Nexus 7? Thank you guys.
1st December 2013, 03:36 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 41

301 posts
Been struggling with the same issue. I have recently been using an app called App Ops --

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....apppermission

It helps you find apps using wakelocks and then gives you the ability to set/clear permissions (like wakelock) on an app-by-app basis. Though I have disabled wakelock on a large number of apps and turned off synch for most things, I am still seeing occasions where battery use drops at about 3%/hour while supposedly in sleep mode. Making progress but not there yet.

Dave
1st December 2013, 04:14 AM   |  #3  
Flag Surrey, BC
Thanks Meter: 146

237 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahura999

Hey guys, so before, when I was on 4.3, overnight I would only lose about 2 to 4 percent battery life. I would charge my Nexus 7 until 100 percent during the evening. Then I'd unplug it but not use it. I'd fall asleep and wake up about 8 hours later and the battery will be about 98 percent. This kind of battery life is outstanding and I would love for my Nexus 7 to reach this benchmark again. Last evening , I fully charged my nexus 7 (now on 4.4) and unplugged it and didn't use it. When I woke up 8 hours later, the battery was at 82 percent. I was surprised (this is the first time I noticed it. (I've been busy because I just took up driving, and it's Thanksgiving break... Plus I just received the OTA update on Thursday). Anyways I went to settings and tapped on battery, and noticed that Android OS was the culprit. I saw a forum where people stated that a factory reset would take care of the issue. I do not want to lose my app data and go through downloading and installing every single app again. Are there any troubleshooting steps I could go through to resolve my battery issue or should I just reset my Nexus 7? Thank you guys.

I've been noticing similar issues and it's not consistent... I can leave it overnight and lose a few percent.. then after a day of light use - it's down to 22% whereas before that would barely get it down to 80%. Then the next day it'll be ok and stay up around 80% by the end of the day.
1st December 2013, 06:15 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 497

2,470 posts
Its probably the wifi wakelock that a lot of us have been having on Kit Kat. My router or devices on my network are waking up my tablet and phone roughly a few hundred times an hour, not allowing the devices to sleep at all. Use the beta Better Battery Stats to see what your wakelock is.
1st December 2013, 06:47 AM   |  #5  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 102

1,828 posts
More
Can't believe Google messed this up. Every update is another battery drama. I'm having the same issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso

Its probably the wifi wakelock that a lot of us have been having on Kit Kat. My router or devices on my network are waking up my tablet and phone roughly a few hundred times an hour, not allowing the devices to sleep at all. Use the beta Better Battery Stats to see what your wakelock is.

Does it need root?
1st December 2013, 08:15 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

103 posts
More
What exactly could we do to solve this... I mean, you'd expect the update do upgrade performance not downgrade it... Do you guys think there will ever be a fix (for non rooted users like me)... And would a factory reset help? (if any of you go ahead with the factory reset, please let me know ) thanks guys

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
1st December 2013, 10:56 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 166

1,632 posts
For those that are unhappy with KitKat, just go back to Jellybean (At least for the time being), or do what I did and install CM10.2.

IMO KitKat has too much of Google's thumbprint on it for my liking, and I've yet to see anything positive - including performance. Even the emoji keyboard is useless to me since I already use a 3rd party keyboard.

On top of that, I was having too many 3rd party app issues as well. (I know that's not Google's fault)

Yesterday I decided that I had enough of KK, installed CM10.2, and now everything works perfectly.

IDK IMO KitKat might be the latest, but it's not the greatest...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by ccrows; 1st December 2013 at 10:59 AM.
1st December 2013, 05:30 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 95

528 posts
No root needed for app ops, its not really an app, more of a shortcut to the feature which Google don't want to make official yet. But it's a part of android and with 4.4 they have included the ability to disable keep awake for almost every app. It does wonders for battery life. I got 3,5 days with 11 hours screen on time. The development of android has become too fragmented so there's no consistency any longer, that's why most battery drainage nowadays is caused by Google's own apps. And if you disable keep awake for eg Facebook messenger you will still get notifications, even if the tablet is in deep sleep. So i honestly don't understand what the keep awake function is for. I have disabled it for all apps, Google services, Google play store + the sub stores like play books, games etc and android system. I haven't had any problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
2nd December 2013, 01:39 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

103 posts
More
The idea of the ota is to update and upgrade performance without you having to tweak anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
2nd December 2013, 05:11 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

103 posts
More
Is this normal? (brightness is maintained at half) what exactly is "Android os"... Obviously it's kit kat but what uses it? And what can I turn off via app Ops to reduce android os like it was on 4.3?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1385961074358.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2427709  

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Nexus 7 (2013) Q&A by ThreadRank