Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How can Windows Phone 8 handle AccessViolationException?

OP punwinger

14th February 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
There are many C++/CX codes in my Windows Phone 8 app so there might be many dangling pointers access which will cause AccessViolationException. Actually I know that __try & __except can catch them but I hope that my app can get notified like some callback function can get called while AccessViolationException raised that it's NOT surrounding by __try __except.
And I have tried Application.UnhandledException in C# code and ::SetUnhandledExceptionFilter(which is private API and I somehow successfully invoke it) but still failed to get called.
So is there any way to get notified while AccessViolationException is raised?
Last edited by punwinger; 14th February 2014 at 07:07 AM.
14th February 2014, 08:34 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
In case somebody has the same problem, I solve my problem by using _set_se_translator, a crt API
14th February 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,791

5,877 posts
More
Ooh, details on that would be good (OK, I should just go read the docs...) but thanks for posting the solution! C++/CX has way too many modes of memory management; it's pretty easy to get it wrong if you try doing anything even vaguely outside the standard use cases. (Example: Do not malloc an array of Platform::String and then assign to it. Any non-nulls in the array (leftover data from prior allocations) will be treated as though they are valid strings that you are assigning over, which means the "old string's" reference count will be decremented, which may lead to memory corruption. Using calloc instead works, by the way, though it's still kind of a hack.) Anyhow, debugging that stuff is annoying, especially since you can only debug native *or* managed, not both.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread