Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,276 Members 44,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Extreme Battery Drain after Update

Tip us?

edbro9
Old
(Last edited by edbro9; 23rd February 2014 at 09:17 PM.) Reason: Solved problem
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [SOLVED] Extreme Battery Drain after Update

After the 10.4.1.B.0.101 firmware update my battery has been draining extremely quickly. Today it went from 100% to 25% in 6 hours with the device in airplane mode. When I look at the battery usage in Settings it says that Google Play Services used 63% of the battery. I Googled this and I saw that there was an battery drain issue with Play Services that was fixed with ver 4.1. Well, I have ver 4.2. The other high item in battery usage is labeled Media using 27%. I did not use the phone for anything, it sat idle in airplane mode.

I'm also getting random vibrations. Sometimes when I'm holding the phone it will give a quick vibration notification. I don't know where that is coming from.

I initially did the OTA with the device rooted that resulted in some severe problems. So, I unrooted and reflashed it with SEUSS. So, that should have totally wiped the device and put a fresh image on it. I have no other problems other than this extreme battery drain.

Anybody have any clues? Anybody else seeing this?

scifan
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro9 View Post
After the 10.4.1.B.0.101 firmware update my battery has been draining extremely quickly. Today it went from 100% to 25% in 6 hours with the device in airplane mode. When I look at the battery usage in Settings it says that Google Play Services used 63% of the battery. I Googled this and I saw that there was an battery drain issue with Play Services that was fixed with ver 4.1. Well, I have ver 4.2. The other high item in battery usage is labeled Media using 27%. I did not use the phone for anything, it sat idle in airplane mode.

I'm also getting random vibrations. Sometimes when I'm holding the phone it will give a quick vibration notification. I don't know where that is coming from.

I initially did the OTA with the device rooted that resulted in some severe problems. So, I unrooted and reflashed it with SEUSS. So, that should have totally wiped the device and put a fresh image on it. I have no other problems other than this extreme battery drain.

Install better battery stats and look at what's consuming your battery?

I used my phone pretty heavily today and still have 11% left... I plugged it in about 2 hours ago long enough to grab some pictures off of it...

I'm unsure why Google services went nuts... oh and I had my screen on full brightness for an hour or more while working on a project outdoors in bright sunlight...Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1392350420735.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	2578245Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1392350438649.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	2578246

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1392350265774.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	2578244  

ATRIXXIRTA
Old
Thanks Meter 722
Turn off GPS

Sent from my Xperia ZL using Tapatalk
Phones: Motorola Atrix 4G ---> Samsung Galaxy Nexus (temporarily) ---> LG Optimus 3d ---> Samsung Galaxy SII LTE Skyrocket ---> LG Optimus G ---> Sony Xperia ZL ---> Motorola Moto G
My Roms/Ports: CarbonRom/CarbonClash (port): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2181390
Thanks: XDA and all its members. Without you I'd still be an uneducated bumpkin complaining about my shi**y phone.

bhavstech
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:

this is sometimes due to the update did u callibrate your battery ,try a factory reset bcoz after update sometimes factory reset helps to remove he bugs if you still face the problem contct service centre ,check wich app is drainig your battery
If i helped you ,you know where the Thanks button is!

melvinrobertson
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:

Download tegra overclock from google play link https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...verclock&hl=en
you must be rooted, then underclock to the minimum frequency of your cell in tegra overclock, then minimize your cells screens brightness, it will increase yours ncell battery backup much much higher than before ! hit like if i had helped you, as i am new in xda and want to become senior member !

ren2008
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Huh this is not a battery drain issue.

Wipe the batterystats.bin and charge again to 100% without disconnecting the phone. Use it and voilà. (You can use Battery Calibration from NéMa in the Play store)

This will calibrate your battery. I suggest you do it after ant ROM flash or OTA update.

Root required to wipe stats.

edbro9
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Wow, I thought I had this problem licked but it resurfaced again today. Since my first complaint I factory reset the phone and reinstalled everything again. I have been running fine for days since then. But, then today.... same problems. With the phone in airplane mode most of the time I get the following:

edbro9
Old
(Last edited by edbro9; 23rd February 2014 at 09:19 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I think I figured out the problem. I have a 64GB Micro SD that I had pretty full with music. I've used it without problems for at least 6 months in my Xperia before the update. After the update I noticed an extreme battery drain and it reported that "Media" was using an unusually high amount of resources. So, I removed the card and now I get phenomenal battery life using Stamina. If I don't actively use the device it will only drain less than 1%/hour. Not bad under heavy use also.

I've been out of town since all this started and I haven't had a chance to reformat my MicroSD. I am hoping that if I reformat and slowly add back in some media that it might not reoccur.

Cookie Ninja
Old
Thanks Meter 433
I disabled Google crap (plus, maps, play services, magazines, books, movie studio, sync adapters for contacts, calendar, Chrome browser etc). Both me and my wife get approx 5 hrs of screen time (1day + from 100% to 15%) with moderate usage, (WiFi always on, 3g/WCDMA preferred, no sync). It's Google services that run in the background, cause wakelocks and drain battery.

Dead Cookies leave no trails...
PAST
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomp...=3974&id7=2863

PRESENT
Xperia Z C 6603; Stock LB, Root (101 F/W) (Son's)
Xperia Z C 6602; Stock LB, Root (101 F/W) (Wife's)
Moto E XT1022; Stock (Mine)
Nexus 7 (2012); EHNDROIX-V, Root (Son's)
Dell Venue 7 (2013); Stock 4.3, Root (Ours)
Asus TF 101; ARHD, Root (Mom's)

FUTURE
Flip Phone?
KitKat FAIL! Stick with Jellybean!

danieldp1990
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Ninja View Post
I disabled Google crap (plus, maps, play services, magazines, books, movie studio, sync adapters for contacts, calendar, Chrome browser etc). Both me and my wife get approx 5 hrs of screen time (1day + from 100% to 15%) with moderate usage, (WiFi always on, 3g/WCDMA preferred, no sync). It's Google services that run in the background, cause wakelocks and drain battery.

Dead Cookies leave no trails...
update .101 its draining to fast my battery also....... I decided to go back to 569... and disable all does apps. I'll wa8 fot 4.4 kitkat

Tags
battery