5,595,918 Members 30,562 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Sound on F240 on CM11 E980 rom

Tip us?

notohp
Old
(Last edited by notohp; 7th February 2014 at 08:21 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Thumbs up [Guide] Sound on F240 on CM11 E980 rom

Issue: You flash e980 CM11 rom on F240 devices and get absolutely no sound.

Solution: I remember reading and trying somewhere that skvalex' Alsamixer app brings back sound with e980 rom on F240. Problem was, same app did not work with 4.4.2.

1. So I grabbed the files introduced by that app and copied them in their respective places.
2. chmod -R 755 /system/xbin/alsa* (Change permissions of alsa_ctl, alsa_aplay, alsa_mixer to rwxw-xr-x). I did that from adb. I guess it can be done through root-explorer too.
3. Open terminal:
$> su
#> alsa_amixer
It throws some error but It's okay.

And voila! let there be sound...

Why this works: It was obvious that alsa driver for the sound card was not being loaded by default in CM11_e980. skvalex' alsamixer enables this for lot more devices because he wants his app CallRecorder to work on all those devices.
I am sure there's a more convenient method of doing this by editing alsa cards list for your device or something instead of dirty hack. If you know, please share.

Issues:
- This is not persistent. Every time you reboot your device, you got to run alsa_amixer again (or you can do it through some init scripts).
- I have only tested music and notifications. Not sure about calls.
- Not sure about compatibility issues as I just picked these files and copied them to 4.4.2 tree.
- You tell me...

I have attached the files here.

skvalex is the one deserving credit for all the work. I just used his work to our convenience.

EDIT:

I just replaced the original with a flashable zip. After flashing this, you still need to run step 3 as root after every reboot. I tried on CM11 rom and SlimKat. Works fine,
Attached Files
File Type: zip alsamixer.zip - [Click for QR Code] (591.5 KB, 46 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to notohp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kenkie
Old
Thanks Meter 3
nice catch man...anybody with f240 already tested this?
will try to download cm11 roms and definitely going to try this one...
...see you when I see you!

esaintor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notohp View Post
Issue: You flash e980 CM11 rom on F240 devices and get absolutely no sound.

Solution: I remember reading and trying somewhere that skvalex' Alsamixer app brings back sound with e980 rom on F240. Problem was, same app did not work with 4.4.2.

1. So I grabbed the files introduced by that app and copied them in their respective places.
2. chmod -R 755 /system/xbin/alsa* (Change permissions of alsa_ctl, alsa_aplay, alsa_mixer to rwxw-xr-x). I did that from adb. I guess it can be done through root-explorer too.
3. Open terminal:
prompt> alsa_amixer
It throws some error about module not found or something. It's okay.

And voila! let there be sound...

Why this works: It was obvious that alsa driver for the sound card was not being loaded by default in CM11_e980. skvalex' alsamixer enables this for lot more devices because he wants his app CallRecorder to work on all those devices.
I am sure there's a more convenient method of doing this by editing alsa cards list for your device or something instead of dirty hack. If you know, please share.

Issues:
- This is not persistent. Every time you reboot your device, you got to run alsa_amixer again (or you can do it through some init scripts).
- I have only tested music and notifications. Not sure about calls.
- Not sure about compatibility issues as I just picked these files and copied them to 4.4.2 tree.
- You tell me...

I have attached the files here.

skvalex is the one deserving credit for all the work. I just used his work to our convenience.

EDIT:

I just replaced the original with a flashable zip. After flashing this, you still need to run step 3 as root after every reboot. I tried on CM11 rom and SlimKat. Works fine,

That is what I wanted. I was searching this for few weeks. I will test it today! oolay... by the way did you mean that Step 3 by this "Open terminal: prompt> alsa_amixer" ??? Can we just flash it after flashing ROMs? Thank you!

notohp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaintor View Post
That is what I wanted. I was searching this for few weeks. I will test it today! oolay... by the way did you mean that Step 3 by this "Open terminal: prompt> alsa_amixer" ??? Can we just flash it after flashing ROMs? Thank you!
Yes just that. You can flash it right after flashing roms.

esaintor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default no luck.

Quote:
Yes just that. You can flash it right after flashing roms.
I flashed it after flashing omni. And wrote on terminal as you suggest " alsa_amixer ". But it shows me error amixer: mixer attach default error. No such file or directory. So I rebooted my phone. Still no sound? What do I do now?

notohp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
I flashed it after flashing omni. And wrote on terminal as you suggest " alsa_amixer ". But it shows me error amixer: mixer attach default error. No such file or directory. So I rebooted my phone. Still no sound? What do I do now?
Ignore that error. You should have sound soon after you execute that command. Don't reboot. Just check it in settings > sound. Let me know how it goes.

esaintor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Still...

Quote:
Ignore that error. You should have sound soon after you execute that command. Don't reboot. Just check it in settings > sound. Let me know how it goes.
I wrote the command. I waited so long. 30mins. No sound comes to me. I replaced all files to flashable ROM. And flash it from CWM. Now I am waiting the sound. :P Could you upload the ROM you had installed successfully?

mudi12
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
I tried on omni but no success
I executed this command didn't restart still no sound

notohp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
I wrote the command. I waited so long. 30mins. No sound comes to me. I replaced all files to flashable ROM. And flash it from CWM. Now I am waiting the sound. :P Could you upload the ROM you had installed successfully?
Okay I will test it with omni rom once I am back home. Could you point me to the link?

esaintor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default here is the link

Quote:
Okay I will test it with omni rom once I am back home. Could you point me to the link?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2562998

Tags
alsamixer, f240, sound