[Guide] Sound on F240 on CM11 E980 rom
Issue: You flash e980 CM11 rom on F240 devices and get absolutely no sound.
Solution: I remember reading and trying somewhere that skvalex' Alsamixer app brings back sound with e980 rom on F240. Problem was, same app did not work with 4.4.2.
1. So I grabbed the files introduced by that app and copied them in their respective places.
2. chmod -R 755 /system/xbin/alsa* (Change permissions of alsa_ctl, alsa_aplay, alsa_mixer to rwxw-xr-x). I did that from adb. I guess it can be done through root-explorer too.
3. Open terminal:
It throws some error but It's okay.
And voila! let there be sound...
Why this works: It was obvious that alsa driver for the sound card was not being loaded by default in CM11_e980. skvalex' alsamixer enables this for lot more devices because he wants his app CallRecorder to work on all those devices.
I am sure there's a more convenient method of doing this by editing alsa cards list for your device or something instead of dirty hack. If you know, please share.
- This is not persistent. Every time you reboot your device, you got to run alsa_amixer again (or you can do it through some init scripts).
- I have only tested music and notifications. Not sure about calls.
- Not sure about compatibility issues as I just picked these files and copied them to 4.4.2 tree.
- You tell me...
I have attached the files here.
skvalex is the one deserving credit for all the work. I just used his work to our convenience.
I just replaced the original with a flashable zip. After flashing this, you still need to run step 3 as root after every reboot. I tried on CM11 rom and SlimKat. Works fine,