Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 41,808 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wont connect to PC through USB

Tip us?

jarared
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Wont connect to PC through USB

Okay so my Sprint HTC One Max will not connect to my PC - Windows 7 x64. It will however charge while connected but it never prompts that its "installing drivers" when connected. The USB notifications never appear in the notifications bar on my HTC. I've downloaded the latest HTC Sync, uninstalled, re installed, several times. I have enabled and disabled USB debugging several times. Restarted PC and phone several times. The phone is not rooted. Fastboot is not enabled on the phone. My LG G2 connects through MTP with no problems. I've tried all USB ports on my PC.

I'm not sure what else to do. Please help!

neodiver
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarared View Post
Okay so my Sprint HTC One Max will not connect to my PC - Windows 7 x64. It will however charge while connected but it never prompts that its "installing drivers" when connected. The USB notifications never appear in the notifications bar on my HTC. I've downloaded the latest HTC Sync, uninstalled, re installed, several times. I have enabled and disabled USB debugging several times. Restarted PC and phone several times. The phone is not rooted. Fastboot is not enabled on the phone. My LG G2 connects through MTP with no problems. I've tried all USB ports on my PC.

I'm not sure what else to do. Please help!
You need to install HTC Drivers for Win7 64 prior to plugging in your phone. A quick google search landed me this:
HTC Driver Installer x86 and x64 - Filename: HTCDriver 4.1.0.001.exe Size: 14.81 MB (15528968 bytes).

It shouldn't be too difficult for you to hunt this file down yourself. It is probably a good idea to make sure HTCSync is completely uninstalled from your machine. Once you've installed the driver exe, plug in your phone and wait for it to appear in device manager (I kept device manager open through the entire process). At this point you should see debugging messages on your phone.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is but after a handful of headaches, I was able to use the win7 64 machine that I had at my disposal to successfully run the rumrunner tool and ultimately achieve S-Off! Good Luck!
Sprint HTC One Max - ViperMax 2.0.0 - Android KK 4.4.2 - Sense 5.5 - FlyKernel 2.3 - Rooted - S-Off - Locked

jarared
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodiver View Post
You need to install HTC Drivers for Win7 64 prior to plugging in your phone. A quick google search landed me this:
HTC Driver Installer x86 and x64 - Filename: HTCDriver 4.1.0.001.exe Size: 14.81 MB (15528968 bytes).

It shouldn't be too difficult for you to hunt this file down yourself. It is probably a good idea to make sure HTCSync is completely uninstalled from your machine. Once you've installed the driver exe, plug in your phone and wait for it to appear in device manager (I kept device manager open through the entire process). At this point you should see debugging messages on your phone.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is but after a handful of headaches, I was able to use the win7 64 machine that I had at my disposal to successfully run the rumrunner tool and ultimately achieve S-Off! Good Luck!
Still no luck. I completely removed HTC Sync and anything HTC related. Installed the HTC Driver Installer 4.1.0.001.exe and connected my phone but still nothing happens.

neodiver
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Still no luck. I completely removed HTC Sync and anything HTC related. Installed the HTC Driver Installer 4.1.0.001.exe and connected my phone but still nothing happens.
Did the HTC drivers install correctly?
Driver or not, SOMETHING should happen when you plug your phone into your pc like new hardware notification. Is anything reflected in device manager when you're plugged in? Successful attachment you should see HTC, or HTC phone, or Android phone, or a yellow exclamation point saying no driver or driver incorrectly installed.
Most definitely a Windows issue. Windows PCs are a PITA. No driver headaches with Mac or Linux. Have another machine around you can try it out on?
Sprint HTC One Max - ViperMax 2.0.0 - Android KK 4.4.2 - Sense 5.5 - FlyKernel 2.3 - Rooted - S-Off - Locked

jarared
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Did the HTC drivers install correctly?
Driver or not, SOMETHING should happen when you plug your phone into your pc like new hardware notification. Is anything reflected in device manager when you're plugged in? Successful attachment you should see HTC, or HTC phone, or Android phone, or a yellow exclamation point saying no driver or driver incorrectly installed.
Most definitely a Windows issue. Windows PCs are a PITA. No driver headaches with Mac or Linux. Have another machine around you can try it out on?
Yes they installed correctly. I'm not seeing anything appear in the device manager. I also tried it on my wife desktop and I get the same result. I've tried 4 different USB cables that I have laying around the house.
I'm starting to believe it might just be something wrong with this particular phone.

neodiver
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Yes they installed correctly. I'm not seeing anything appear in the device manager. I also tried it on my wife desktop and I get the same result. I've tried 4 different USB cables that I have laying around the house.
I'm starting to believe it might just be something wrong with this particular phone.
It's seeming like you may have a bit of tinkering around to do. You DO have USB debugging enabled while you're trying to connect right?
Troubleshooting Windows drivers is a pain. Check out this post I stumbled over, may help you out:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2217396

Here's a couple links to newer versions of HTC Drivers in case you want to try them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98sp7bkrck...04.0.1.002.exe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eq..._4.2.0.001.exe
The Following User Says Thank You to neodiver For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jarared
Old
(Last edited by jarared; 11th February 2014 at 02:33 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
It's seeming like you may have a bit of tinkering around to do. You DO have USB debugging enabled while you're trying to connect right?
Troubleshooting Windows drivers is a pain. Check out this post I stumbled over, may help you out:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2217396

Here's a couple links to newer versions of HTC Drivers in case you want to try them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98sp7bkrck...04.0.1.002.exe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eq..._4.2.0.001.exe
Yeah I came across that page as well. I've tried with Debuf off and on.
I came across this page where he seems to be having the same problem, only thing is my device is stock, not rooted, no roms, or backups.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541464
Anyway I can work off of that?

The only thing I've done to my phone that could of possibly affected it was when I attempted a bootloader unlock from HTCDev.com.
I followed the steps up to step 5 and entered "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" into the cmd and got the message "waiting for device.." which is when I discovered my phone wasnt connecting though USB.
When connected the USB in fastboot it says "FASTBOOT AC" instead of USB

Not sure if something could of happened in between that.

jwhood
Old
Thanks Meter 153
I was having issues with htc drivers today and finally found the right drivers after countless install/remove attempts,im running xp and it is a pita hope you find the right ones!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
"Word to live by in life...."what dont kill you,will make you stronger"......

Jiggity Janx
Old
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhood View Post
I was having issues with htc drivers today and finally found the right drivers after countless install/remove attempts,im running xp and it is a pita hope you find the right ones!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
You mean this?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49045175

Sorry OP not having issues with win7 so no thoughts on what it could be.
2 Verizon G3 io-rooted stock 2 Verizon One MAX rumrunner.us s-off Note 8.0 & 3 2 OG Nexus 7 w/ CM11

japodude
Old
Thanks Meter 61
ibhave uk version and when i plug my phone to pc, it shows my one max and it also shows a cd drive and when i open it, it automatically installs drivers and htc sync. seems my one max has drivers and htc sync build in.