Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

AT&T Push to Talk on Note 2

OP ercave1

14th February 2014, 06:29 AM   |  #1  
ercave1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Vallejo
Thanks Meter: 1
 
133 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2006
For those who may find this useful...
I added the PTT service on my phone not thinking that my device may not yet be compatible with the app from AT&T. I found out the hard way but figured out how to get it going on my device.
1. After adding the service online I got a text a half hour later that it was active on the account.
2. I then rooted my Note 2 on the latest stock 4.3 rom.
3. Downloaded the app: Device Spoofer from the Play Store.
4. Backed up the device's current information in Device Spoofer
5. Changed the device's ID to that of the Galaxy S4 (i.e. sgh-i337)
6. Restart the device.
7.Launch At&t EPTT app and activate.
8. Once activated you can run spoofer again and restore your device's I'D and restart and the app will still work.

Just guessing but I would think this should work on the Note 3 as well. Everyone uses this at work so I thought it was worth looking into.

***EDIT: I used the Helium app to backup the At&t EPTT app and data to my Google Drive account and restored it on my At&t Note 3 and can confirm it works. I did not root my note 3 due to the Knox issues discussed here on XDA, so if anyone has another device that is rooted this is an easy way to get the PTT app working on a non rooted one.***

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by ercave1; 16th February 2014 at 12:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ercave1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
THANKS!!
This is awesome. Was thinking about trying this with a Nexus 5. Currently stuck with a Rugby Pro and it is BRUTAL. Glad to know there's a way around AT&T's BS.
2nd July 2014, 12:55 AM   |  #3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercave1

For those who may find this useful...
I added the PTT service on my phone not thinking that my device may not yet be compatible with the app from AT&T. I found out the hard way but figured out how to get it going on my device.
1. After adding the service online I got a text a half hour later that it was active on the account.
2. I then rooted my Note 2 on the latest stock 4.3 rom.
3. Downloaded the app: Device Spoofer from the Play Store.
4. Backed up the device's current information in Device Spoofer
5. Changed the device's ID to that of the Galaxy S4 (i.e. sgh-i337)
6. Restart the device.
7.Launch At&t EPTT app and activate.
8. Once activated you can run spoofer again and restore your device's I'D and restart and the app will still work.

Just guessing but I would think this should work on the Note 3 as well. Everyone uses this at work so I thought it was worth looking into.

***EDIT: I used the Helium app to backup the At&t EPTT app and data to my Google Drive account and restored it on my At&t Note 3 and can confirm it works. I did not root my note 3 due to the Knox issues discussed here on XDA, so if anyone has another device that is rooted this is an easy way to get the PTT app working on a non rooted one.***

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app



I have a rooted S3 and used helium to backup and transfer to my new S5 and it doesn't work. It tries to activate and then fails saying i dont have a supported device. I must be doing something wrong?

EDIT: Rooted my S5 and tried your first method and still no dice. Hmmmm this is interesting. If I cant get this figured out I guess I will have to return the phone. Are you using your old sim or the new one that comes with the phone?
Last edited by ProStreetCamaro; 2nd July 2014 at 03:38 AM.
17th July 2014, 08:26 AM   |  #4  
ercave1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Vallejo
Thanks Meter: 1
 
133 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro

I have a rooted S3 and used helium to backup and transfer to my new S5 and it doesn't work. It tries to activate and then fails saying i dont have a supported device. I must be doing something wrong?

EDIT: Rooted my S5 and tried your first method and still no dice. Hmmmm this is interesting. If I cant get this figured out I guess I will have to return the phone. Are you using your old sim or the new one that comes with the phone?

It seems that my original method no longer works since they updated the PTT app. I was able to Spoof My Note 1's (sold my Note 2) device ID to that of an S4 and the app activates that way. I was hoping I could back it up again with Helium and Restore to my Note 3 but it tries to reactivate on the Note 3 and detects the current device ID. So at this point I believe my only option is to root my Note 3, spoof the device ID, and activate. Not something I want to do.

I also found that if I enable airplane mode then enable WIFI and you launch the app, after a minute or two it asks if you want to try to activate over WIFI, and then asks to enter an code provided by an administrator. I wonder if ATT would be willing to provide a code to users that already have the feature on the account and want to try the app on a newer device...It's a shot in the dark but couldn't hurt to ask.

EDIT: By ID, I mean model number.
Last edited by ercave1; 17th July 2014 at 08:32 AM.
17th July 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercave1

It seems that my original method no longer works since they updated the PTT app. I was able to Spoof My Note 1's (sold my Note 2) device ID to that of an S4 and the app activates that way. I was hoping I could back it up again with Helium and Restore to my Note 3 but it tries to reactivate on the Note 3 and detects the current device ID. So at this point I believe my only option is to root my Note 3, spoof the device ID, and activate. Not something I want to do.

I also found that if I enable airplane mode then enable WIFI and you launch the app, after a minute or two it asks if you want to try to activate over WIFI, and then asks to enter an code provided by an administrator. I wonder if ATT would be willing to provide a code to users that already have the feature on the account and want to try the app on a newer device...It's a shot in the dark but couldn't hurt to ask.

EDIT: By ID, I mean model number.



I got it working. The app now looks at the phones model number. I simply changed the model number to that of an S4. It activated right away once i did that. When I go to about device my S5 shows as SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 which is an S4.
25th July 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #6  
ercave1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Vallejo
Thanks Meter: 1
 
133 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2006
Changing the ID appears to screw up NFC until you change it back to the original, at least on my Note 3. Changing back to the original kills the activation. Att seems to have caught on because the app, even the older version now activates on reboot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th July 2014, 04:58 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercave1

Changing the ID appears to screw up NFC until you change it back to the original, at least on my Note 3. Changing back to the original kills the activation. Att seems to have caught on because the app, even the older version now activates on reboot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app



Hmmm interesting on the NFC. I dont use it so im not sure how the S5 reacts to the change. The eptt app has been working flawless though and the manager at the store called corporate and they told him they would be updating the app in the near future to support the S5.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes