FORUMS

UPDATE: 60 fps Achieved!! 4.3

1,143 posts
Thanks Meter: 244

By KCRic, Senior Member on 28th January 2014, 03:45 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
So after a decompile I was sifting through the smali file and noticed something. First, some super odd 3K recording resolution - this is in the file dealing strictly with recording video so no, its not for still captures. Anyone have thoughts/input on this?

Also, we can record at 60 fps in 1080p. Albeit only at 14mbps (yeah, so I'm going to modify that ) but how great is that?! Now people can stop asking for it. Before anyone asks - I have no idea if this carries to 4.4 but I'm sure it does.

If anyone wants proof and doesn't want to decompile the apk on their own - say so here and I'll post the smali.

UPDATE:
Well I did it. Haven't done any extensive testing but I managed to record two videos without any issues. There may be issues so as always - be careful. I tested this on Wicked v10, it should work on any 4.3 TW ROM but only time will tell. I need to add that so far its limited to about 10 seconds. Past that it drops to 30 again, not sure why yet.

This is my modified camera. What does that mean? Recording bit rates are higher (both audio and video, 1080 and 720). Video records at 60 fps (keep reading if you don't know why that matters).

Bit rates:
1080p: 20 mbps @ 60fps

720p: 17 mbps @ 60fps

Audio: 320 kbps @ 48 KHz

For those that don't understand why 60 frames per second matters it really comes down to quality. For analyzing videos, editing them, capturing frames for a still shot, even general viewing. It allows you to slow a video down (same concept as those super slow motion cameras on TV). Videos just seem more fluid overall also, when played at normal speed.

I'm sure someone can elaborate on the above better than myself.

This is just the apk. Not a CWM installer package. So you'll have to install it manually. One you replace the stock SamsungCamera2.apk you'll have to reboot. Please be mindful of how large these video files will get. Let me know if there are any bugs (I'm sure there will be a few).

Here's the link. It's on my Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3...it?usp=sharing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_02_12_16.52.55.png
Views:	446
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	2575997  
Last edited by KCRic; 12th February 2014 at 11:56 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KCRic For This Useful Post: [ View ]

28th January 2014, 10:46 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Overland Park

More
So I modded the camera to record 1080p and 720p both at 60fps on the standard settings. Both with higher bit rates for audio and video. So far it installs and works flawless. Can't say much for recording since it's nighttime and I'm not about to disturb my pregnant wife

Will update tomorrow with results. If it all looks good I'll update with a test version in the themes and mods section.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by KCRic; 28th January 2014 at 10:52 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCRic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2014, 04:50 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
How did the camera changes go I'm interested in testing it also!
31st January 2014, 08:50 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Overland Park

More
Good, but it didn't get over 31fps so I'm doing some more edits. Hopefully I'll have it pinned down soon and post it for testing.

31st January 2014, 09:12 PM |#5  
Flag Dayton, OH
Thanks Meter: 31

More
When you get it working, can you build it into an .apk for those of us that don't use custom recovery? I'm stock 4.3 rooted, but don't want to trip KNOX flag just yet

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
1st February 2014, 10:24 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Overland Park

More
I can try. I think all you have to do us drop it right into /system/app. Though I think with your type of install it installs that to a different partition and I don't know which one.

2nd February 2014, 12:48 AM |#7  
Flag Dayton, OH
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Well I'd be happy to test it out for you, either method

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
2nd February 2014, 05:23 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
I can test it for you on TW4.3.
2nd February 2014, 06:49 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Overland Park

More
Still doing some work, just so you know I haven't dropped this.

Also I've found a couple other interesting things while digging around. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up on these two but here they are.

1: In fast mode our rear camera has two options - 60fps and 120fps. The latter is limited to 720p from what I can tell and I'm not sure if anyone would want that. Though on a higher end display (TV or whatever) it might be handy. In the real world though, I have no idea if it would be ok for the camera module. Not to mention the file sizes would kill your memory and battery even if I dropped the bit rate. We'll see I guess - That's what owning Android is about

2: UHD. 'nuff said. I'm having trouble finding the exact 4K resolution listed but UHD is listed in it as an option.

Like I said - don't get your hopes up on those two. They're a bit far fetched, though I know Sammy underused this phones camera. Battery life would be the reason for that.

If anyone with experience writing apps or any devs read this, I would appreciate the help.
4th February 2014, 01:45 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I'm subscribing to this thread. Have high hopes

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium HD app
4th February 2014, 03:27 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Way cool. I'll be following this. Will this work on any ROM?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread