Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,466 Members 51,282 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tmo T999 No 4G

Tip us?

keeeoh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Tmo T999 No 4G

Hello,

Obviously from my posts I'm new posting, however, I've been reading the forums for a while now and have been a huge fan at the massive support of devs and other helpful people. My question, and I've tried searching hi and lo on this site and others to get an answer:

I rooted my phone about 2 months ago and kept ROM, kernel, etc. stock until about 1 month ago when I flashed CM 10.1. Everything was awesome, loved the layout and the customization of the ROM. About 2 weeks ago, I lost 4G/H+ coverage, and voice service was sometimes spottier than usual. Wifi was and is still fine, but anytime I left and wifi network, I was immediately given EDGE speeds. I ran speedtest.net and the display is accurate.

I tried searching a couple of sites and I read that flashing a different ROM could fix the issue. I flashed Wicked which again was a great layout, but didn't fix the 4G issue. Lastly, today I followed an unroot thread and unrooted my phone. I didn't reset my counter with triangle away because I didn't think that was an issue in the lack of 4G. And I didn't want to dig myself any deeper on possibly bricking my phone. So now, my phone is stock (minus the counter) with ROM, kernel, and recovery. Any tips or suggestions?

Something to note: When I tried flashing CM10.1 the very first time, I received an error 7 message on CWM recovery. After reading a couple of posts on here, it looked like the workaround was to remove the first line of code on the updater-script file in the zip. Doing so made the ROM flash without any hiccups. Or were there?

Again thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.

Da Kine
Old
Thanks Meter 1,432

DONATE TO ME
Go to settings> about phone> status

Look under imei, is it still there or is it 0.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Da Kine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keeeoh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Dakine,
Thanks for the reply. It says 0. Doesn't sound good based on the two options you said it could be.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Da Kine
Old
Thanks Meter 1,432

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeeoh View Post
Dakine,
Thanks for the reply. It says 0. Doesn't sound good based on the two options you said it could be.

Its not really bad, but its not great. It means you lost your imei, it just happens randomly when flashing a ROM (no one knows why, it just rarely happens). Its not the ROMs fault, it just happens.

If you haven't made a backup of your imei, then you'll have to restore/inject the imei so that you can use 4g again. I'll have to look for the threads that explain how to do that and I'll post them for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Da Kine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Da Kine
Old
(Last edited by Da Kine; 1st August 2013 at 08:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,432

DONATE TO ME
DELETED.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,012

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeeoh View Post
Dakine,

Check your PM's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Kine View Post
Its not really bad, but its not great. It means you lost your imei, it just happens randomly when flashing a ROM (no one knows why, it just rarely happens). Its not the ROMs fault, it just happens.

If you haven't made a backup of your imei, then you'll have to restore/inject the imei so that you can use 4g again. I'll have to look for the threads that explain how to do that and I'll post them for you.

I wouldn't worry bout it. Unless you get lucky it can take a lot of searching and piecing info together to find all that's needed. Imei restoration can still be found, but a lot isn't too clear. Data restore after imei restoration is not so easy.
Also, one or two of the important threads are gone. If you ever need help with this issue, you can just pm me.

The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keeeoh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
This video will help you restore your imei, download links are in the video description.

Huge help! Thanks for locating this. About to read up on restoring my imei. Thanks again, especially for the quick reply.

keeeoh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
Check your PM's

I wouldn't worry bout it. Unless you get lucky it can take a lot of searching and piecing info together to find all that's needed. Imei restoration can still be found, but a lot isn't too clear. Data restore after imei restoration is not so easy.
Also, one or two of the important threads are gone. If you ever need help with this issue, you can just pm me.

And thank you too Doc! I'll post my results in case anyone else has this problem. I'm certain this will work. Thanks for the future reach-out invite as well.

Da Kine
Old
(Last edited by Da Kine; 1st August 2013 at 08:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,432

DONATE TO ME
Hey Doc, does everything in the video I posted restore 4g or does it just restore the imei? If it doesn't restore 4g, could you please post here or pm what steps are needed to get 4g going again?

I would just like to have a copy of everything just in case something goes wrong with my imei backup, If I end up losing my imei.

Edit: Hey keeeoh I removed the video (thank you Doc for the heads up). If you need the link to it, just let me know and I'll pm it to you. Once again, thank you Doc for letting me know.

keeeoh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Hey Doc, does everything in the video I posted restore 4g or does it just restore the imei? If it doesn't restore 4g, could you please post here or pm what steps are needed to get 4g going again?

I would just like to have a copy of everything just in case something goes wrong with my imei backup, If I end up losing my imei.

Edit: Hey keeeoh I removed the video (thank you Doc for the heads up). If you need the link to it, just let me know and I'll pm it to you. Once again, thank you Doc for letting me know.

Well, Success!!! Needed to do a couple more things but both of you were able to get me back up and running on 4G.

Dakine - Already got the video, so thank you anyways.

Doc - Finished those steps, for some reason I can't PM you so if you can PM me again to let me know what I need to do avoid this in the future, as I'd love to go back to a rooted phone.

Thanks again guys!