Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,819 Members 40,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Refurbished vs New HD+

Tip us?

mogators1
Old
(Last edited by mogators1; 7th November 2013 at 01:45 AM.) Reason: update
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Refurbished vs New HD+

So I haven't been able to find a good deal on a new HD+. Is there any real advantage to going new vs. the refurbished ones? I've read some things about bad eMMC chips and was wondering if maybe the refurbs have already been fixed of this issue and might actually be the better option. Either way they have the 1 year warranty. I've thought about going through this seller, link Not the cheapest I've seen, but not 1SaleaDay either. This would still end up being about $50 cheaper than new since their would be no tax or shipping.
Was also looking at BlueProton seller but they just raised their price $5 today

zvnkt
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogators1 View Post
So I haven't been able to find a good deal on a new HD+. Is there any real advantage to going new vs. the refurbished ones? I've read some things about bad eMMC chips and was wondering if maybe the refurbs have already been fixed of this issue and might actually be the better option. Either way they have the 1 year warranty. I've thought about going through this seller, Not the cheapest I've seen, but not 1SaleaDay either. This would still end up being about $50 cheaper than new since their would be no tax or shipping.
Was also looking at BlueProton seller but they just raised their price $5 today
I have also purchased one from BlurProton yesterday and have the same question. Really appreciated any answers.

oppy
Old
Thanks Meter 25
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb. My Nook Color was refurbished, and it seemed 100% new to me.

frydroid
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
...and it seemed 100% new to me.
They definitly are!

channeledbymodem
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I have always had good luck with refurbs including the HD+ I just bought. If you're really paranoid you could buy a Square Trade warranty. They are very inexpensive. Note that the price on ST's website is higher because it includes accident protection as well as defective coverage. I would call them and ask if you can just get defective coverage. It costs about 10% of retail. Of course most major credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty also.

Sent from my Nook HD running CM 10.1 using Tapatalk HD.

mogators1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvnkt View Post
I have also purchased one from BlurProton yesterday and have the same question. Really appreciated any answers.
Let me know how your order goes with them. It looks like they have sold a ton of them. I'm starting to think if there are any good deals on the new ones for Black Friday it might be on the 32GB ones. Almost everyone seems to be out or low on stock of the 16GB's of the new variety.

channeledbymodem
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ 32GB 9" Tablet Deal of the Day | Groupon $129

http://is.gd/kox1Du

I don't see where it says explicitly that it's a refurb but it must be since it has a 90 day warranty.

No expiration. Limited to 3 per person.
The Following User Says Thank You to channeledbymodem For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mogators1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by channeledbymodem View Post
http://is.gd/kox1Du

I don't see where it says explicitly that it's a refurb but it must be since it has a 90 day warranty.

No expiration. Limited to 3 per person.
Under condition is states Manufacturer refurbished so I assume they would still have the standard 1 year warranty that B&N gives to refurbs. I don't really need the 32GB version since they have a uSD slot and I already have an extra 32GB card laying around at home, but I still might bite on this.

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3571

DONATE TO ME
B&N does not always give a 1 year warranty on refurbished units anymore.

And you may re-think that 32GB vs 16GB unit decision. The external SD is not very usable unless you install my SD swap zip from my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using XDA Premium
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here

mogators1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
B&N does not always give a 1 year warranty on refurbished units anymore.

And you may re-think that 32GB vs 16GB unit decision. The external SD is not very usable unless you install my SD swap zip from my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using XDA Premium
Thanks leapinlar, I didn't realize that about the warranty. When you say the external SD is not very usable, are you referring to storing apps and app data not working well with the external SD? I mostly use the external SD on my current Nook Tablet for storage of things like movies, music, books, etc. Does that still work fine without having to use the swap zip?