Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,614 Members 43,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Newer ROMs compatible with VOIP (Google Voice / Vonage)?

Tip us?

voxigenboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Question [Q] Newer ROMs compatible with VOIP (Google Voice / Vonage)?

I was using an older version of ViperDNA(4.1.1) and was using Vonage to make calls. I recently updated to the latest version of ViperDNA and now when I use Vonage I hear some crazy loud screeching sound. Normal calls do not do this(just data based). I also tested out the latest UnSenseSIX and it was doing the same thing.

It doesn't just do it with Vonage either... it also does the same thing with Google Voice. I found it was working fine while using TextNow, but that app assigns you a new phone # & has fees. I just want to use one that uses your existing phone # but works via voip rather then using your minutes(which is what Vonage does).

Anyone else using these apps and know what newer ROMs work fine with them?

Uzephi
Old
Thanks Meter 332

DONATE TO ME
All KitKat roms have voip issues. It is an issue with the kernel. Hopefully when we get the KitKat update, the source kernel would fix this issue. Go to an older Rom (like viperDNA 2.x) to resolve the voip issue

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Uzephi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

voxigenboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Is there one in particular that you recommend?

Uzephi
Old
Thanks Meter 332

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxigenboy View Post
Is there one in particular that you recommend?
A 4.4 Rom or 4.2? I like sense on this phone compared to AOSP, and I love the customizations viper has, so choose your poison. Check the viper 2.x.x thread. The most recent version is a rebase of the DNA ota, and the one before our is the One 4.2. The One version has Zoe and HDR, (I know the DNA one didn't have Zoe, but don't know if it has HDR.)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

voxigenboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
I was up until nearly 3am testing out different roms. I tried both JB & KK roms(aokp & aosp).

After completely wiping the phone & installing the latest 'NuSenseSIX' a long with the new radio, VOIP seems to be working "good enough" now. There's no more crazy screeching. There is however, a bit of static but it's tolerable.
The Following User Says Thank You to voxigenboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]