Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,079 Members 54,503 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] is the us 8.4 bootloader unlocked by default?

Tip us?

k.electron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default [q] is the us 8.4 bootloader unlocked by default?

is the us wifi versions bootloader unlocked by default?

i'd like to get cm on it asap.
Device: HTC One M8 | Carrier: VZW 4G | ROM: CleanROM | Kernel: Stock | Radio: Stock | Recovery: TWRP

Dropbox is a great place to store files that you need on the go. Android apps like TiBu can leverage Dropbox. Sign up using http://db.tt/OGvqdBCp and we both get more space.

blulite
Old
Thanks Meter 154

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.electron View Post
is the us wifi versions bootloader unlocked by default?

i'd like to get cm on it asap.
How can I tell?

Class_of_punk26
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Like most or all devices when you boot it up it would show a unlock icon on the bottom of the screen if the lock is closed its not unlocked

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

blulite
Old
Thanks Meter 154

DONATE TO ME
There is no lock symbol on the boot screen.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Class_of_punk26
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Then its prolly locked I know the past 3 devices I've had when I unlocked the boot loader it would show it every time I booted it up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

krazylary
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Default It is locked

Just went Into bootloader mode (odin) and Knox is there. So yes It is locked

roustabout
Old
Thanks Meter 199
very locked.

for those who like to tamper: there's a recovery firmware intended for the gtpab 8.4 for Ukraine available for download. Don't know if Kies works on this device yet.

But if you blow your device off the rails, this will get it booting again:

http://nasirtech.blogspot.com/2014/0...42-kitkat.html

Oh, my, this is better than I expected - it recovered /system but didn't blow out my personalization. Freaking wonderful!

If your device "recovery bootloops," by which I mean:

you try a Chainfire root from the snapdragon note 8 on the tab pro 8.4
your device boots and tells you that you're bad, that Samsung knows your bad, and then displays something like

"RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING...
Set Warranty bit : recovery"

and reboots you, here's the fix:

take your a slim object and starting at the USB port, pry the backing loose one snap at a time, working left to right along the bottom and around the lower corners on each side.

Now, gently, start to pry down each side.

You'll feel central resistance. That's because there's adhesive holding the backplate to an internal frame that laps over the USB connector. Gently pry that up.

Once you're about halfway down each side, you can see the battery connector - six wires, two each black, blue, red. Keep going; there is another point of resistance at the camera housing. Gently finesse that last after you have all the other snaps off.

Free the battery from the mainboard by prying up the connector, or unscrew the 4 screws holding it in place and use the battery's weight to free it from the mainboard.

Let the device sit about 30 seconds.

Reconnect the battery.

Hold the home, volume down and power buttons simultaneously to bring the device into download mode and recover using Odin or your tool of choice.

Once you've recovered, button it back up.

stevedw
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Well, if it's not unlocked it's very free about what it accepts. I did blow the Knox flag but I was able to upload modified system.img, recovery.img and cache.img without any problems. And I now have a persistent root.

roustabout
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Good point - the OS is locked to void warranty, but if the flashable system images are that simple to load, that's great. The onboard recovery won't load them and I don't think Kies will, either

But I think it's reasonable to say that the upgrade mode on the samsung devices is analogous to an unlocked bootloader.

CAR1977
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedw View Post
Well, if it's not unlocked it's very free about what it accepts. I did blow the Knox flag but I was able to upload modified system.img, recovery.img and cache.img without any problems. And I now have a persistent root.
Can you share with us how you got root on your tab 8.4? I just bought one and I love it but without root it feels weird.... Thank you

sent from my Nexus 7 with CM11
Current Devices:
Asus Transformer running Katkiss Kitkat
Samsung Galaxy S3 running CM11 M6 (my backup Phone)
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Running CM11
HTC One M8 Stock- Unrooted (My daily driver)