Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Question [SE Live with Walkman] Installing MESA Kernel over Extended Stock Kernel

OP Drifter2410

7th February 2013, 06:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Dehradun
Thanks Meter: 2
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
Hello

I am a newbie Android user though I flashed Real ICS r6 and Extended Stock kernel a few months back. The ROM is great, the kernel works fine. But I wanted to Overclock and use Swap File which isn't enabled in extended stock so, I wanted to install MESA which is compatible with Real ICS as well as my phone. But I have no idea how to flash a NEW kernel.

If I flash a new kernel does my ROM get erased too?

I need a detailed step by step tutorial about flashing MESA and replacing Extended Stock with it, without removing Real ICS r6. Any help is appreciated guys. Also, please take note that I cannot brick the phone as I won't get a new one for years if that happens.

Thank you in advance.
7th February 2013, 07:17 PM   |  #2  
mihahn's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,201
 
3,245 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
AW: [SE Live with Walkman] Installing MESA Kernel over Extended Stock Kernel
No it won't erase the ROM

See my "how to install a custom kernel/rom", there you can see how to flash the boot.img using flashtool

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.1
The Following User Says Thank You to mihahn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 11:30 PM   |  #3  
Mysteryagr's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 341
 
1,154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Re: [SE Live with Walkman] Installing MESA Kernel over Extended Stock Kernel
The steps is so easy,
1-Download the kernel, extcract if it is a zip file
2-Get boot.img
3-And put it in your fastboot folder
4-Open cmd and navigate to fastboot folder,
Or simply click on start search for cmd and drag it in fastboot folder then open it
5-shutdown your phone
6-hold on volume up and connect the usb from the phone to pc
7-it will ask you for drivers ( skip if you already done so)
8- in cmd run the following commands
Fastboot devices
Fastboot flash boot directorytoboot boot.img
Replace directorytoboot with actual directory

It will not earse your rom.
And btw xperia 2011 is hard to be bricked
Click thanks if I helped you

Sent from my Xperia Mini using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Mysteryagr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th February 2013, 08:13 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Dehradun
Thanks Meter: 2
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
Thank You
Thank you to the both of you, I have successfully flashed MESA 3.2 on my Live with Walkman. So far so good.
8th February 2013, 02:36 PM   |  #5  
Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 24
 
94 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Try MESA Hybrid v3.6 kernel. It's better. Flash kernel via Fastboot and then flash mesa-hybrid-stock.zip via CWM.
4th March 2013, 09:18 AM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
only recovery and mesa kernel
live with walkman
i am only left with mesa kernel and its recovery..
i accidently wiped system while trying to install real ics ir6 yesterday..
now when i tried to flash ics r6 through recovery it i flashed but restarts and shuts down.
i read in a post that i need to have preinstalled stock rom in order to flash custom rom..
is this true??
if yes kindly help me, what should i do now,
can i fastboot flash the stock rom .ftf or whatever be the method please please some1 help me.
4th March 2013, 09:24 AM   |  #7  
Abhinav2's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 4,656
 
2,319 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Re: [SE Live with Walkman] Installing MESA Kernel over Extended Stock Kernel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballackcool

live with walkman
i am only left with mesa kernel and its recovery..
i accidently wiped system while trying to install real ics ir6 yesterday..
now when i tried to flash ics r6 through recovery it i flashed but restarts and shuts down.
i read in a post that i need to have preinstalled stock rom in order to flash custom rom..
is this true??
if yes kindly help me, what should i do now,
can i fastboot flash the stock rom .ftf or whatever be the method please please some1 help me.

Firstly flash stock ftf using flashtool in flashmode or just place any rom.in ur sdcard which can run in this situation for e.g. my rom xperia nexus and flash it

Press THANKS if I helped,
Best Regards,
AJ
The Following User Says Thank You to Abhinav2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2013, 08:55 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbina

Firstly flash stock ftf using flashtool in flashmode or just place any rom.in ur sdcard which can run in this situation for e.g. my rom xperia nexus and flash it

Press THANKS if I helped,
Best Regards,
AJ

Thanx for the reply
i wanna tell u the exact situation
there is no os in my phone just mesa kernel and recovery,
yesterdayas u said i tried to flash .ftf stock but it showed me header error
so do i need to switch back to stock kernel first in order to flash stock rom ..
thanx inadvance..
5th March 2013, 09:13 AM   |  #9  
Abhinav2's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 4,656
 
2,319 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Re: [SE Live with Walkman] Installing MESA Kernel over Extended Stock Kernel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballackcool

Thanx for the reply
i wanna tell u the exact situation
there is no os in my phone just mesa kernel and recovery,
yesterdayas u said i tried to flash .ftf stock but it showed me header error
so do i need to switch back to stock kernel first in order to flash stock rom ..
thanx inadvance..

Nopes flashtool automatically flashes the stock kernel with it anyways did u try installing any other rom on the mesa kernel?

Press THANKS if I helped,
Best Regards,
AJ
14th February 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Cool
hi. if you encounter header error ,
you must install (fastboot, ...)driver correctly
then go ahead.(its right)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
extended stock, live with walkman, mesa, real ics
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes