[ROOT][CWM][ROM]Pantech Discover P9090 (Magnus) Root & Modification Guide

OP sandnap

2nd November 2013, 05:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 114

154 posts
Pantech Discover P9090 (Magnus) Root & Modification Guide

This thread is intended as an updated version of the original Ultimate Pantech Discover/Magnus/P9090 Rooting & Modding Thread thread. I created this thread to bring the latest knowledge and tutorials to the top. If you are interested in the evolution of Discover rooting and modding pour yourself a cup of coffee, tea, or ??? and review the posts in that thread and when you are ready to modify your Discover come back here.

Available Mods
  • Root access
  • ClockworkMod Recovery
  • TWRP Recovery
  • Restore unlocked bootloader for Jellybean devices
  • CWM flashable ROM/partition updates

Warning/Disclaimer

The tutorials posted in this thread at the time of this writing have been tested and should do what they claim to do without causing harm to your phone, however, if for any reason things go awry when doing any kind of update or modification to your phone the authors of these tutorials or thread posts are not responsible. There is always a chance that modifying your phone can cause damage or a loss of features. Proceed at your own risk. I suggest you read the procedure you intend to implement thoroughly and if necessary ask questions before you proceed. Also, installing mods may make it so you cannot receive or install updates from Pantech/AT&T.

Modification Procedure Order
  1. Determine if your device is running Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) or Jellybean (JB)
    • Open the Settings app and tap on "About phone"
    • If the "Android version" is 4.0.4 you are running ICS, if it is 4.1.2 you are running JB
  2. Set up and ensure you have ADB access to the phone
    • For now you will have to find an ADB installation tutorial elsewhere
  3. Root your device
    • Follow the tutorial here.
  4. Jellybean (JB) users should revert back to the unlocked (ICS) bootloader to increase the chance of brick recovery
  5. Install ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP
  6. (Optional) Install custom ROM(s)

Useful links

Thanks to everyone who helped test and provide feedback for these advancements. A big thanks to @Unjustified Dev & @mifl for their continued development help and porting TWRP (Unjustified Dev) and to @ShotSkydiver for creating the original Pantech Discover mod thread.
Last edited by sandnap; 23rd April 2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added link to TWRP
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sandnap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2013, 05:44 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
Root
Rooting the Pantech Discover P9090

WARNING: Please review the Warning/Disclaimer in the original post before following this procedure!

Click "CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT" to proceed.

Users running ICS
  1. Download recovery-magnus.img, su, and SuperSU_1.65.apk and move them to a directory of your choosing hereafter known as <install-directory>
  2. Boot the phone in fastboot (bootloader) mode by holding down both volume buttons and the power button, once the menu appears use the volume buttons to select "fastboot", then hit the power button
  3. Attach your phone to your computer
  4. Open a cmd window (Windows) or terminal/shell (unix flavors) and type the following command (hit enter after each):
    Code:
    cd <install-directory>
  5. Now boot to the magnus recovery by typing:
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery-magnus.img
  6. The phone should be booted to CWM, now type:
    Code:
    adb push su /sdcard/
    adb push SuperSU_1.65.apk /sdcard/
    adb shell
  7. You should now be in an adb terminal on the phone, type the following:
    Code:
    mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 /system
    cd /sdcard
    cp SuperSU_1.65.apk /system/app/
    cp su /system/xbin/
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    exit
  8. If all goes well you should be back in your computer's terminal, reboot the phone with
    Code:
    adb reboot
  9. Enjoy!

Users running Jellybean
  1. Download and install the Framaroot app (version 1.6.1 or later) from here.
  2. Install and open the app
  3. Select "Gandalf"
  4. Reboot the phone for good measure
  5. Enjoy!
Last edited by sandnap; 13th November 2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Added links
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sandnap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2013, 05:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
Bootloader
Reverting to the Unlocked (ICS) Bootloader from the JB Bootloader

WARNING: Please review the Warning/Disclaimer in the original post before following this procedure!

Context: The Jelly Bean update for the Pantech Discover flashes a locked bootloader over the unlocked Ice Cream Sandwich bootloader. The result is that you can no longer use fastboot to flash images or boot to external bootloaders. If you are on ICS this tutorial does not apply.

You can test to see if you have the locked bootloader by booting into fastboot (power off device, power on devices holding both volume keys, select fastboot), connect the device to your PC, and run the following command from a command terminal.

Code:
NOTE: If you don't already have the magnus recovery image download it from here.

If your output looks like the message below you have the locked bootloader and this guide applies to you.

Code:
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.538s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Not Support !!)
finished. total time: 0.543s
Procedure: If you have the locked bootloader, you would prefer not be locked, and you are willing to take the risk you can follow the procedure below.

Prerequisites
  • Phone must be rooted
  • ADB access
  1. Download the ICS bootloader image (aboot.img) from here.
  2. Connect your phone to your PC and from a command window in the download directory type:

Code:
    adb push aboot.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
  3. If you are connected to your device at this point type:
    Code:
    su
    cd /sdcard
    md5sum aboot.img
    The output should be:

Code:
    7f55c5ab321cf20e595b841371f45cda  aboot.img
    The MD5 checksum should be the hex number above (beginning in 7f and ending in cda). If it does match download it again and make sure the checksum matches before proceeding. If no matter what you do you can't get a match then don't proceed.
  4. If you are here then you have the ICS bootloader and it's ready to be flashed, before we do this you should check the checksum for the bootloader partition with the command:

Code:
    md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    output:
    Code:
    8b6fa6881c7f155858243e94490d0a29  /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    If you are on JB the checksum should match mine.
  5. Now you are ready to flash the ICS image. If you are feeling confident and risk adverse run the command below:

Code:
    dd if=aboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    You should get the output:

Code:
    5120+0 records in
    5120+0 records out
    2621440 bytes transferred in 0.458 secs (5723668 bytes/sec)
    Don't be concerned if the transfer time is not precise.
  6. Now confirm that our checksum is updated to the new image:

Code:
    md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    Code:
    7f55c5ab321cf20e595b841371f45cda  /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
  7. If not follow the bail out procedure outlined after this procedure, otherwise get back to your PC command window with:

Code:
    exit
    exit
  8. Reboot into the ICS bootloader with:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  9. Once you are in fastboot verify it worked with:

Code:
    You should be rewarded with the following output:

Code:
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [  0.544s]
    booting...
    OKAY [  0.020s]
    finished. total time: 0.565s

You are done!!!!!

Invalid checksum: If the checksum you show does not match the checksum above you can reflash the JB bootloader and if all goes well you will be back where you started.
  1. Download the JB bootloader (jb-aboot.img) from here.
  2. Follow the procedure above to push the bootloader to the device and validate that the checksum matches the original JB checksum you copied on step above.
  3. Flash the JB bootloader as per the guide above replacing aboot.img with jb-aboot.img.

If you have problems I strongly suggest you refrain from rebooting your phone and ask for help.
Last edited by sandnap; 13th November 2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Fixed typo... replaced "evita" with "magnus"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandnap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2013, 05:46 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
CWM
Installing ClockworkMod 6.0.2.8 on your Pantech Discover

Prerequisites
  • You must have adb and fastboot installed and working on your computer. There are literally hundreds of tutorials on this so I won't go into it here.
  • Your phone must be rooted

Optional but recommended
  • If you are on Jellybean and you haven't already done so I recommend reverting to the unlocked (ICS) booloader. An unlocked bootloader will increase the ability to restore a "brick" substantially.

Ready, set, go!

Option 1 (Do this if you have the unlocked ICS bootloader this is much faster)
  1. Download update_magnus_clockworkmod-6.0.2.8.zip and recovery-magnus.img and move them to a directory of your choosing hereafter known as <install-directory>
  2. Turn off the phone, copy update_magnus_clockworkmod-6.0.2.8.zip to a micro sdcard and install it in the phone
  3. Boot the phone in fastboot (bootloader) mode by holding down both volume buttons and power, once the menu appears use the volume keys to select fastboot, then hit power
  4. Attach your phone to your computer
  5. Open a cmd window (Windows) or terminal/shell (unix flavors) and type the following command (hit enter after each):
    Code:
    cd <install-directory>
  6. Now boot to the magnus recovery by typing:
    Code:
  7. The phone should be booted to CWM, now select the menu options:
    install zip from sdcard > choose zip from external sdcard
  8. Select update_magnus_clockworkmod-6.0.2.8.zip then hit power and confirm by choosing
    Yes - Install update_magnus_clockworkmod-6.0.2.8.zip
  9. Once the install is finished choose
    Go Back > reboot system now
  10. Enjoy!

Option 2 (Do this if you have the locked Jellybean bootloader and do not wish to revert it):
  1. Attach your phone to your computer and make sure it is booted to Android
  2. Download recovery-magnus.img and move it to a directory of your choosing hereafter known as <install-directory>
  3. Open a cmd window (Windows) or terminal/shell (unix flavors) and type the following command (hit enter after each):
    Code:
    cd <install-directory>
    adb push recovery-magnus.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
  4. In the adb terminal type:
    Code:
    cd /sdcard
    ls
  5. Verify that the recovery-magnus.img file is there and if so type:
    Code:
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    dd if=recovery-magnus.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p20
  6. You should see output indicating that the image was flashed (I'll try to update this with the exact text). If you get an error don't continue and when you reboot to Android the original recovery should be restored. Otherwise type:
    Code:
    mv /system/recovery_from_boot.p /system/recovery_from_boot.p.bak
    exit
    exit
  7. You should be back in your computers terminal, type:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
You should be in CWM 6.0.2.8 after a minute or so. The first time you reboot CWM will ask if you want to prevent recovery from being overwritten, go ahead and say yes.

You can use the backup feature to backup your ROM.

What works
  • Backup/restore from sdcard and external sdcard (including advanced restore)
  • Delete backup (sdcard and external sdcard)
  • Choose default backup method
  • Install zip from sdcard (external)
  • Wipe cache
  • Wipe dalvik-cache
  • Wipe data/factory reset
  • Mounts - mounting and unmounting partitions
  • Key test
  • Show log
  • Fix permissions (I ran this and it completed and the phone boots but I haven't done exhaustive testing so I don't recommend it, shouldn't need this feature at this point)

What hasn't been tested yet
  • Install zip from sideload
  • Format partitions (not recommended)
  • Partition external sdcard
  • Report error

Bugs
  • Backups do not reflect the correct date (common issue that can be resolved eventually)
Last edited by sandnap; 13th November 2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Initial content
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandnap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2013, 05:46 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
ROM
Flashing a Custom ROM

WARNING: If you downloaded the ROM that was originally linked to in this guide (magnus-jb-4.1.2-cwm-unlocked_bootloader-rooted-all_partitions.zip) please do not flash it!! While this has worked on most phones the original IMEI on a couple of phones was wiped out.

WARNING 2 (Untested fix uploaded on 11/29, see below) : A couple of users have reported that this update failed on their phones but they were able to restore from a nandroid backup. If you still want to try this ROM please backup your current ROM in CWM first! If you try this please let me know if this works or does not work on your phone and which Android version you were on prior to flashing it. Thanks!

UPDATE 11/29/2013 Newly uploaded file will most likely fix the issues mentioned in warning 2 above, however, I still strongly encourage that you do a backup in CWM before flashing. Please respond with the results indicating which version of Android you flashed this over.

This guide covers the procedure to flash a specific, JB ROM as discussed below, however, the basic procedure can be used to flash different ROMs as they become available.

Features
  • Jellybean 4.1.2 stock (other than noted below)
  • Rooted with /system/xbin/su
  • SuperSU installed as a system app
  • Magnus CWM recovery
  • ICS unlocked bootloader (aboot)

This update is intended to install the unlocked bootloader for all users; provide a restore point going forward; and serve as a basis for future ROMs and enhancements.

This update does not flash the cache or data partitions so your installed apps and data will remain.

NOTE FOR ICS USERS: The AT&T/Pantech OTA JB Update (from ICS) provides patches to several partitions that are not patched as part of this update. If you are able to run the OTA update I recommend it, if not and you don’t mind having a “hybrid” ROM go for it at your own risk.

Since this flashes the bootloader I strongly recommend checking the MD5 Checksum as per the guide below before executing the update. Make sure the device has enough power, and don't unplug, wiggle, or otherwise mess with the device until the update is complete.

Prerequisites
  • Magnus CWM installed per the guide above (see OP)
  • Jellbean or ICS (see notes above before flashing over ICS)
  • ADB installed and functional
  • Make sure the battery level of the device is adequate

Flash from the internal sdcard
  1. Download the update from here.
  2. Boot into CWM recovery by holding down the volume up button and power button
  3. Do a CWM nandroid backup
  4. Select "mounts and storage > mount /sdcard > +++++Go Back+++++"
  5. Select "wipe cache partition"
  6. Select "advanced > wipe dalvik cache > +++++Go Back+++++"
  7. OPTIONAL: Select "wipe data/factory reset". WARNING: This will remove your personal apps and data!
  8. Once the download from step 1 is complete, plug the phone into your computer, open a command window, navigate to the download directory, and push the update to the sdcard with:
    Code:
    adb push magnus-jb-4.1.2-cwm-unlocked_bootloader-rooted2.zip /sdcard/
  9. Check the md5 checksum to ensure you don't have a corrupt download (IMPORTANT!)
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd /sdcard
    md5sum magnus-jb-4.1.2-cwm-unlocked_bootloader-rooted2.zip
    Should result in:
    Code:
    3dca0555f81cef97e304c17515c807fa magnus-jb-4.1.2-cwm-unlocked_bootloader-rooted2.zip
    If not, download the update and try again. Do not proceed if your checksum doesn't match!
  10. Exit adb shell:
    Code:
    exit
  11. On the phone, select "install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard", select the update file, and confirm
  12. Wait patiently and do not unplug the device or disrupt the process!
  13. When the update is finished select "+++++Go Back+++++" followed by "reboot system now", if you are prompted to "Fix root" select "Yes" to prevent it from warning again
  14. Wait patiently while it boots, configures the apps, compiles & caches, and connects to your carrier. This can take a few minutes.
  15. Enjoy!
Last edited by sandnap; 29th November 2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Modified for new version
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sandnap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2013, 10:09 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Memphis , TN
Thanks Meter: 5,032

4,844 posts
Nice guide. Can't wait till this phone comes if I'm not mistaken cogency sent it again

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Unjustified Dev For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2013, 10:27 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unjustified Dev

Nice guide. Can't wait till this phone comes if I'm not mistaken cogency sent it again

Thanks! I have been pretty swamped at work so I haven't been able to pull your kernel updates but I am anxious to get back to it. I am glad you have a phone on the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandnap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2013, 11:37 PM   |  #8  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 85

219 posts
More
Great detailed guide, that provides easy to follow instructions.....nice work, again.
The Following User Says Thank You to gj23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2013, 10:28 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 10

123 posts
CM11.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj23

Great detailed guide, that provides easy to follow instructions.....nice work, again.

I predict that on 2 months we will get CM11.0 (kitkat) for the p9090
3rd November 2013, 10:54 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Memphis , TN
Thanks Meter: 5,032

4,844 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeter

I predict that on 2 months we will get CM11.0 (kitkat) for the p9090

I predict less than one month when my Discover comes in

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unjustified Dev For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
discover, p9090, pantech, rom, root
Previous Thread Next Thread