5,599,033 Members 32,177 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO]return to stock (gingerbread) from revolutionary or normal hboot(11/2/11)

Tip us?

scotty1223
Old
(Last edited by scotty1223; 24th May 2012 at 10:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1903
Default [HOW TO]return to stock (gingerbread) from revolutionary or normal hboot(11/2/11)

READ THIS:
i have removed the dead multiupload links that have for some reason been causing an extreme amount of confusion. i thot the "mirror" following each link was self explanitory,but apparently not.

from this point forward,i will no longer respond to "links are dead" posts or PMs if i check them and find them to be working.

in other words,yes,the links are working.
__________________________________________________ _________________
the return to stock thread from 5/17 is outdated. it still works,but afterward youll need to allow your phone to OTA to mr2 if you want to be on the current firmware.

between the newer firmware,and having to execute extra steps if rotoed with revolutionary,the old thread seems to be causing some confusuion. i thot maybe it would help if i threw it up here as well

its geared toward a revolutionary rooter who doesnt have adb set up,so sorry if its a little insulting to more advanced users

last and not least,if you rooted old skool,and just need to flash mr2 files,just skip the part detailing getting the old 1.04.2000 eng hboot back. go directly to: Putting current stock firmware and s-on back onto the phone

as soon as the GB OTA hits for real() i will update this with those files.

*please read all directions first. post up any questions you have before doing anythingyou are messing with your bootloader,wich is a vital part of your phones operation. screwing it up WILL make your phone an expensive paperweight.

how to unroot
the revolutionary method of rooting uses a sneeky hboot exploit,and replaces your stock 1.04.0000 or 1.05.0000 bootloader with a modified permanent hboot. it not only gives you all the same fashboot flash abilities as the original engineering bootloader,but it very effectively blocks other hboots for overwriting it. its good,as you will remain s-off if you accidentally flash a full RUU,or accept an OTA,but makes it a little trickier to remove.

for the time being, removal requires ADB to be set up and running and some commands entered in "fastboot" to to allow the permanent hboot to be overwritten. once an "s-on" tool is release,ill take th is part of this guide down.

if you rooted the old skool manual way and have adb setup and working,you can use this guide to remove the permanent hboot.

with Revolutionary,will come a new wave of rooters that have no clue what adb,or fastboot even are. for you folks, Sele and the crew in the "rescue sguad" at HTC Thunderbolt Forum have come up with a really clever way to get the adb basics,and the eng bootloader to flash,with minimal setup and confusion. with their permission,im borrowing it for our guide here.

*WARNING* no siginture or file checks will be done flashing the new bootloader in hboot or fastboot.fastboot will literally flash "lets golf" as a bootloader if you tell it to. DO NOT mess with your hboot unless absolutely neccessary to return to stock for warranty purposes. if youre just tired of being rooted,flash the gingerbread ruu to get back to unrooted firmware and factory recovery. leaving the revolutionary s-off bootloader in place is the safest,and best option,and will not affect your ability to recieve OTAs.

*AGAIN- if youre just following this procedure because youre tired of being rooted,skip this next section and leave the permanent hboot in place. jump to "Putting current stock firmware and s-on back onto the phone" and flash only the first "PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.9" file(you can flash the 2nd file too if you want,but the permanent hboot will block it )

Setting up adb and removing the permanent hboot if youve never used adb before
1)if you no longer have the htc drivers that you installed when rooting with revolutionary,download them again from here on revolutionarys website.
2)next download *link removed (mirror)to somewhere convenient that youll be able to find it,like your desktop,or a "downloads" folder. it contains the old eng 1.40.2000 s-off hboot,and the bare minumum tools to install it.
3)the following directions were using windows 7 and chrome browser. other OS may be slightly different-the end result is you want unzipped,inside tbolt folder to be on the root of your C: drive.
-find the tbolt.zipdownload
-click on tbolt.zip download and open it.
-inside tbolt.zip,there is a folder labled tbolt. drag it to the root of C:. inside tbolt is the unpermanent hboot and some adb tools.
4) charge your Thunderbolt to 100%
5)click on then "start" bubble in the lower left corner of your screen. type "command" in the search window and hit enter. this will open a small black command window.
6)enter the following command(by typing or copy/paste):
Code:
cd c:\tbolt
you should see your promt in the window change to: c:\tbolt>
7)enter the follwing command:
Code:
md5sums hbooteng.nb0
check the output on the command window. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. the command must equal exactly 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb if it does not,STOP!. delete the tbolt.zip download,and the unzipped tbolt folder from C:,re download and try it again. again,do not procede if the output in your command number does not equal it exactly.
8)once the number matches,you can continue. copy and paste the following codes into the command window:
Code:
adb devices
the output should be your phones serial number

now enter:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
this will cause your phone to boot into FASTBOOT mode,wich is a white screen with colored letters.

now enter:
Code:
fastboot devices
the result again,should be your phones serial number.

9) now youre ready to enter the command to unlock the permanent hboot and flash the new,non permanent one.
to unlock,enter:
Code:
fastboot oem mw 8d08ac54 1 31302E30
write the new hboot:
Code:
fastboot flash hboot hbooteng.nb0
if you select bootloader at this point from the fastboot menu, youll still see the permanent s-off hboot,so select reboot with the volume rocker and power button and let the phone reboot. after it boots,you can adb reboot bootloader again,or power off, then power on/vol down and check that your pink "UNLOCKED" or "REVOLUTIONARY" is gone and you have the old 1.49.2000 bootloader.

here is what you should see in the command window,the red are my inputs:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>cd c:\tbolt

c:\tbolt>md5sums hbooteng.nb0

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[c:\tbolt\]
hbooteng.nb0                                   6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb

c:\tbolt>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HT126S005970    device

c:\tbolt>adb reboot bootloader

c:\tbolt>fastboot devices
HT126S005970    fastboot
c:\tbolt>fastboot oem mw 8d08ac54 1 31302E30
OKAY [  0.006s]
finished. total time: 0.006s

c:\tbolt>fastboot flash hboot hbooteng.nb0
sending 'hboot' (1024 KB)...
OKAY [  0.183s]
writing 'hboot'...
OKAY [  0.219s]
finished. total time: 0.403s

c:\tbolt>
Putting current stock firmware and s-on back onto the phone

after getting the bootloader back to the original s-off,engineering 1.04.2000 hboot download these 2 files:
1) PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.19.zip
mirror: https://rapidshare.com/files/2718678....11.605.19.zip
md5: 334909756073760b3d7316e51a4ce837
2) *link removedPG05IMG_hboot_ONLY_2.11.605.19.zip
mirror:http://www.mediafire.com/?0z0rlzh9lrnh0qs
md5: d26b3253358407d459c654e6729a39ca

rename PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.19.zip to "PG05IMG",move to your sd card,and flash in hboot.

this is important! you must flash the PG05IMG_no_hboot_2.11.605.19.zip first

after successfully flashing that,you will be on unrooted gingerbread with an eng s-off bootloader. delete the PG05IMG file from your sd card. now place the PG05IMG_hboot_ONLY_2.11.605.19.zip on your sd card. check the md5. once youve verified it matches,you can rename PG05IMG and flash it.

again, only flash the hboot file after you have successfully flashed the rom.

now you are 100% stock on latest firmware. unrooted gingerbread 2.11.605.19 with *locked* 1.05.0000 s-on bootloader.

as always,be as cautious as possible doing hboot flashes,and follow directions in the http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt...rminology.html to flash these files if youre unfamiliar with hboot flashing.

*please start a new thread before attempting this if any part of this confuses you. without a bootloader your phone is a paperweight,so we want to help you prior to making any mistakes

last and not least: if you have non working hard buttons,or no screen,see the directions in this thread on AF
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to scotty1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ellis90009
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Nice

Awesome Found that there is also another way you can use the same method from the original root instructions.

adb push yourhbootfilenamehere /data/local/

adb shell

dd if=/data/local/yourhbootfilenamehere of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

Then just put the stock image on your sd card and use

adb reboot bootloader

and flash your stock firmware

Hope this helps anyone looking for a slightly quicker way
The Following User Says Thank You to ellis90009 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MkVsTheWorld
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Default Not sure if this is a problem but...

After I un-rooted last night and ran the 2.11.605.5 RUU, I now get a bright pink message at the bootloader saying *** LOCKED ***. Anyways, the device now states S-ON and I am running stock. Is the LOCKED message something to be concerned about?

ellis90009
Old
Thanks Meter 1
no the locked message is just something new they put into it some people think it means they might put it in the list of officially unlockable devices soon check it out here htcdev.com/bootloader

scotty1223
Old
(Last edited by scotty1223; 21st October 2011 at 10:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis90009 View Post
Awesome Found that there is also another way you can use the same method from the original root instructions.

adb push yourhbootfilenamehere /data/local/

adb shell

Then just put the stock image on your sd card and use

adb reboot bootloader

and flash your stock firmware

Hope this helps anyone looking for a slightly quicker way
while i dont know that youll save any time doing it this way, this is certainly anotehr way to skin the cat if you have adb set up,and are fairly savy at using it,as there are alot of small details youre leaving out.

also i need to add a couple of things:
1)you will need to reboot your phone between
Code:
and
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
as,rebooting imediately to bootloader will take you back to the revolutionary one. the new hboot is written on reboot.

2)be extremely careful with this. if you choose to flash a stock hboot rather than the engineering one,you risk a security warning if you flash the wrong hboot overtop of the wrong custom firmware. youll then be stuck with an s-on hboot and only be able to run newer RUUs to try and fix it.

if you really want to use this method,the safest way would be to run the RUU first. youll have to get a temp root shell(zergRush prolly will work),then run the command to replace the hboot that matches the firmware that you flashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStrange View Post
Is the LOCKED message something to be concerned about?
as was said,this is just the new hboot. it does contain htcdev unlocksupport. thos that doesnt neccessarily mean they will ever give us a key not that it matters anyway,htcs "official unlock"only unlocks system,boot,and recovery,and is still an s-on hboot. better than nothing i guess,but since we have revolutionary and other root methods,theres no advantage to using the official unlock fomr htc.
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scotty1223
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1903
updated OP for unroot to GB 2.11.605.5

bond32
Old
Thanks Meter 115
This should be stickied. Thanks Scotty
The Following User Says Thank You to bond32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrjinglesusa
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Thanks for this. I am going to be upgrading my TB to a Droid RAZR and wanted to revert to complete stock, S-ON, unrooted for selling it on eBay. This worked perfectly.

Jesushasadroid
Old
Thanks Meter 35
just to be cleared to just go back to unrooted stock to receive future ota's is just follow this: will this take my s-off off..also can I reroot with revolutionary later..
the reason i want to go back to stock is the ota update notifications are getting annoying and persistent..

Putting current stock firmware and s-on back onto the phone

after getting the bootloader back to the original s-off,engineering 1.04.2000 hboot download these 2 files:
1)PG05IMG_2.11.605.5_no_hboot.zip
md5: b7ebb0b208f704c84f1224de16e61a8e
2)PG05IMG_2.11.605.5_hboot_ONLY
md5: e6df3ae14523508868dc811ecc5d4b07

rename PG05IMG_2.11.605.5_no_hboot.zip to "PG05IMG",move to your sd card,and flash in hboot.

this is important! you must flash the PG05IMG_2.11.605.5_no_hboot.zip first

after successfully flashing that,you will be on unrooted gingerbread with an eng s-off bootloader. delete the PG05IMG file from your sd card. now place the PG05IMG_2.11.605.5_hboot_ONLY on your sd card. check the md5. once youve verified it matches,you can rename PG05IMG and flash it.

again, only flash the hboot file after you have successfully flashed the rom.

now you are 100% stock on latest firmware. unrooted gingerbread 2.11.605.5 with *locked* 1.05.000 s-on bootloader.

as always,be as cautious as possible doing hboot flashes. again,please post any questions before doing anything
Rocking the White Nexus 4...
The Android Stud

scotty1223
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1903
Did you root with revolutionary? If you currently have the 1.04.2000 Eng hboot,then yes. That will get you to stock unrooted gb. If you plan to re-root,there are stock,rooted roms you can flash in recovery,that will also stop the ota notices.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers(<-this means do not PM me questions)
donate to my device fund

Tags
unrooted