Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,167 Members 44,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] advice on using ADB and fastboot for backups?

Tip us?

Bob Simons
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Default [Q] advice on using ADB and fastboot for backups?

I'm trying to backup my phone before making any substantial changes to it. I've done the de la Vega root and made the AT&T APN changes and that's about it. I wanted to use the ADB fastboot commands to load CWM temporarily to do a backup. So I've installed the sdk and downloaded the CWM 6.0.4.5 to the platform tools folder. I found an article on androidcentral which explains how to do this on a GN (which looks a lot like an S3) which instructs on how to use the fastboot boot xxxxxx.img command. I'm stuck before that trying to download the CWM to the phone.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. the instructions suggest booting into the bootloader by using the ADB reboot bootloader command. That puts it in a "downloading... Do not turn off target" screen which is captioned Odin Mode and on the bottom of the text it says Write Protection Enabled. Did I miss a step with Sudo?

the next step is described as running fastboot devices to see if the computer sees it. This gets no response but the prior reboot command would still work. Finally it ignore the fastboot boot command as it did the fastboot devices command.

Can anyone tell me where I've dropped the ball and what to do?

Bob Simons
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
bump

nijel8
Old
(Last edited by nijel8; 18th February 2014 at 05:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 254
You can't use fastboot with Note 3. It's not supported. But you can run adb backup I guess. Also you can image partitions with dd but not familiar with it. Just search the forum...

ecs87
Old
Thanks Meter 401
YOURE LOOKING UP DIRECTIONS FOR THE WRONG PHONE!!! STOP NOW! Never...ever use directions meant for another phone unless it's been confirmed by others that it works; or unless you like being a pioneer.

What exactly are you trying to backup? Your EFS, FSG, modemst1 and modemst2 should be the only backups you need. Everything else is "rebuildable" yourself. If you killed the bootloader msmercy42 started a N900T hard brick unbrick thread. If you have a soft brick you can always Odin the stock firmware.

CAREFUL when playing around in adb. One wrong number means a hard brick. Meaning if you meant to type mmcblk0p3 in a "dd if" command and instead typed mmcblk0p2 you might end up with a device upon reboot shows a completely black screen (hard brick).

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!
If I or others have helped you out, don't forget to hit the Thanks button for us!

panitsos
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Help! Please

I have rooted my phone thru odin mode, downloaded a rom to install and it wont let me it says on my screen downloading do not turn off target, what can i do? nothings happening to the phone its been stuck on this screen for an hour.

ecs87
Old
Thanks Meter 401
As far as I know, you install a ROM through a custom recovery, not through Odin.

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!
If I or others have helped you out, don't forget to hit the Thanks button for us!