[Q] Black screen and no booting.

Search This thread

nrock2256

Jul 15, 2012
Los Angeles
So the other day I let my n7 die completely, which has happened in the past. Today I went to charge it with my computer and turn it on, so I plugged it into my laptop's USB port. For reference, I just installed Windows 8 and there are no android drivers on my laptop. Anyway, I plug it in and hold the power button and it shows me the google screen, then it goes to a black screen annnndddddddd.... Nothing. It stayed there until I did a hard kill. I can get to the bootloader as well as TWRP. Within TWRP I cleared the caches, and ran a fix permissions. Nothing. I've backed up in TWRP and have yet to wipe my data because that's a last resort for me at this point. Right now its sitting on the charger. When I plug it in I get the battery thing as well as the battery charging thing, however after the battery charging thing goes away I can't call it back up. (usually it'll go away but you can hit the power button and it will come back).

This appears to be a hard brick but I'm not sure. I was running 4.4.2 stock, rooted, bootloader unlocked, with Gravity Box, but that's it. Otherwise I've been running normal user stuff and it has been (up until now) just fine, normal battery life and everything.

nrock2256

Jul 15, 2012
Los Angeles
So the other day I let my n7 die completely, which has happened in the past. Today I went to charge it with my computer and turn it on, so I plugged it into my laptop's USB port. For reference, I just installed Windows 8 and there are no android drivers on my laptop. Anyway, I plug it in and hold the power button and it shows me the google screen, then it goes to a black screen annnndddddddd.... Nothing. It stayed there until I did a hard kill. I can get to the bootloader as well as TWRP. Within TWRP I cleared the caches, and ran a fix permissions. Nothing. I've backed up in TWRP and have yet to wipe my data because that's a last resort for me at this point. Right now its sitting on the charger. When I plug it in I get the battery thing as well as the battery charging thing, however after the battery charging thing goes away I can't call it back up. (usually it'll go away but you can hit the power button and it will come back).

This appears to be a hard brick but I'm not sure. I was running 4.4.2 stock, rooted, bootloader unlocked, with Gravity Box, but that's it. Otherwise I've been running normal user stuff and it has been (up until now) just fine, normal battery life and everything.

I fixed it. Something happened between the battery draining completely and me trying to turn it on that was causing a /system mount failure, thus the black screen after the bootloader. Here's how I fixed it:

I downloaded the full restore zip from Google (Mine was KOT49H at the time of posting this).
Then I opened the package, and the second package within the first one. I extraced the system.img file to my desktop.
After extracting the system.img file, I used fastboot on my computer to flash the system in my bootloader, and now its back to normal. No data was lost, nothing broken. I re rooted and everything seems to be in working order.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good job! I know none of my 1st gen N7's liked to be drained completely so I make a big effort not to. Phones don't seem to have issues like these tablets sometimes do. ;)