OP rkanwar

3rd September 2013, 08:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag West Bromwich
Thanks Meter: 60

1,256 posts
More
Hey guys hows it going?

I just purchased one of the new smart bluetooth headsets from Sony which is the SBH50 model and I received it yesterday. Been using it for a day now. Just here to give you a review.

Now first I wasnt sure if it would work the way I assumed originally or if any of the features were compatible with the Xperia S. But bought it anyway as I mainly need it for calls.

As soon as I took it out of the box I immediately touched the headset to the back of my phone and boom. It was connected immediately. Received a notification to download the companion app. Downloaded and thats it. I was soon enough set up ready to go. So simple.

Sound quality is awesome for calls and music. Even the FM radio. The signal for the radio is also good. Unlike on the mw600 where the radio would cut out because the signal was weak.

When you receive a phone call the number pops up on screen with the name, compared to mw600 would be just the number. The notification for text to speech I still havent tested properly however so far seems to be working. I also havent checked the messaging notifications yet however I have seen the email and gmail notifications.pop up on screen.

The multipoint feature is excellent. You can select one device as a primary device and still receive notifcations from both devices and listen to music from the other.

The battery life is also amazing. Switched it on at 7 am and its still on id say about 75%. Most of thr battery has been consumed by me listening to the fm radio this morning.

Oh and there is an option to view your call log on the device too which is quite nice, especially if you want to ring back a number in the call list.

Build quality is very good I found. Feels slightly plasticy but good quality. Not the cheap plastic feel.

Theres a lot more which can be covered and I will add to this review the more I get to know the device and its features.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to rkanwar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2013, 04:53 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 471

2,027 posts
More
Got mine as well few days ago. Lost mw600. Not sure what Sony is thinking with 'smart' range as it regresses, since any bluetooth ever, had double click to redial and long press to voice dial. These, including mw1 are missing those functions. Also in comparison with mw600 now we need app to display contacts (sure not it shows names as well), but permanent ongoing notification in status bar and notifications kills this softaware for me.
As long as it does not allow me to change button options and setup, this smart bluetooth is not gonna be 'simply smart' for the foreseeable future. Opening api for Devs might help.

Also don't understand why bluetooth with basically same features, sans NFC, as mw600, is 30 percent larger in volume, while offering same talk/music times as it.
Rant over!

Basically, only reason I'm keeping it is because of possibility of firmware updates (if mw600 had this it wouldn't be obsolete yet and would buy again. Than again that company does not exist anymore) , making it somewhat future proof. This only applies if Sony keeps their end of the bargain.

Sent from my SGH-I337M
7th September 2013, 01:25 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

19 posts
I got one of these in the mail this week for my Xperia Z.

I was after a bluetooth unit with a 3.5mm output so i could hook it up to my Logitech Z2300 and control the music from my phone. Works well, only the bluetooth range is up to approx 15m line of sight. It'll do for my home entertaining.

I havent tried yet, but if i can connect my pc to it via BT as well i can play the songs off there too.

I dont really see the need for NFC since pairing with BT is simple enough.

Firmware can be updated on it via SUS.

The instruction manual included doesnt have any operating instructions. Im not 100% sure what the icons in the menu means.

Its very light if youre gonna clip it to your clothing, but to handle it is a little tricky cos it is too light.

Ive seen the Pro version of this, with usb on the end of it, so it can be used as standalone mp3 player. Wish i had seen that earlier.
10th September 2013, 09:01 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag West Bromwich
Thanks Meter: 60

1,256 posts
More
The only thing I cant get it to do is connect to skype on my nexus 7 1st gen or on my xperia s

10th September 2013, 10:28 PM   |  #5  
Flag SLC
Thanks Meter: 427

1,633 posts
MW1 is better cause of card slot. The new one is cool though.
31st October 2013, 01:18 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

47 posts
you can use it while it is connected to a power supply?
8th November 2013, 08:09 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 37

204 posts
Yes.. it works
21st November 2013, 01:09 AM   |  #8  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
More
Use with Skype
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkanwar

The only thing I cant get it to do is connect to skype on my nexus 7 1st gen or on my xperia s

I had no problems using this headset with Skype on my Xperia Z1 and Razr HD

Some phones have settings in the Skype menu to use Bluetooth. Check the settings in the Skype menu.

Hope that helps
3rd December 2013, 06:40 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Any one used the SBH52?
16th December 2013, 06:37 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
whatup
dear all

is there are app for whats up notifaction

thanks