[Q] Htc mini appears to be totally dead ?

Search This thread

pure.by

Jan 23, 2010
Having the same issue. Im not on CM11 but on Candyrom (!). Installed bubba kernel and within a few hours it died. Im thinking about sending it To htc, but I dont no if They will repair it within my warrenty. Has anybody got suggestions how To boot it up or something, tell me!
Try leaving your phone on power supply for extended period of time (several hours), then try switching it on. If not working, try holding VolumeDown+Power button for like half a minute. If nothing happens, I'm afraid I've got bad news for you.

I have no idea what HTC will do if you send them the phone, but since it's is totally dead (=useless for you) and it can't be switched on (not easy to determine that you have modded it), you can try your luck.

I personally tested Candy Rom days before release and have been using it since without any issue so I have 100‰ confidence in this slim based Rom, I was also tester for bubba kernel....
The fact that it did not happen to you within a limited period of time does not mean the problem does not exist. "100.0% confidence" looks very ironic next to that statement.
A lot of people got their phone bricked only after several months. Developer of CM, for instance, has been developing CM on M4 for nearly half a year untill that happened to him; I got lucky and my phone died within first half an hour; all other reports are ranged somehwere inbetween those two numbers, randomly.

[IMHO]
I'm not sure specifically about CandyRom, or bubba kernel, but this is much more likely to have cause this issue rather then an Xposed module you are suggesting.

The only configuration for M4 known to be safe is a Sense-based ROM + Sense-based kernel. Anything CM-based = ticking time bomb, everything else = lottery.
[/IMHO]

Last edited:

HTcOneV

Dec 2, 2012
Try leaving your phone on power supply for extended period of time (several hours), then try switching it on. If not working, try holding VolumeDown+Power button for like half a minute. If nothing happens, I'm afraid I've got bad news for you.

I have no idea what HTC will do if you send them the phone, but since it's is totally dead (=useless for you) and it can't be switched on (not easy to determine that you have modded it), you can try your luck.

The fact that it did not happen to you within a limited period of time does not mean the problem does not exist. "100.0% confidence" looks very ironic next to that statement.
A lot of people got their phone bricked only after several months. Developer of CM, for instance, has been developing CM on M4 for half a year untill that happened to him; I got lucky and my phone died within first half an hour; all the other reports are ranged somehwere inbetween these two numbers randomly.
I'm not sure specifically about CandyRom, or bubba kernel, but this is much more likely to have cause this issue rather then an Xposed module you are suggesting.

IMHO, the only configuration for M4 known to be safe is a Sense-based ROM + Sense-based kernel. Anything CM-based = ticking time bomb, everything else = lottery. (/IMHO)

Alright guys, last hope. I will leave the phone on the wall charger for the whole night, and will try To boot it up tomorrow. To be honnest I think the motherboard Is broken, but you never know.

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
The fact that it did not happen to you within a limited period of time does not mean the problem does not exist.

Hmm approx ³ months on same Rom, I would say that's a substantial amount of time! There has been no records of "sudden death" or "bricked devices" on Candyrom (slim based) despite an overwhelming amount of downloads

"100.0% confidence" looks very ironic next to that statement.

Not at all and i cant see how you would come to that conclusion?

A lot of people got their phone bricked only after several months. Developer of CM, for instance, has been developing CM on M4 for nearly half a year untill that happened to him; I got lucky and my phone died within first half an hour; all other reports are ranged somehwere inbetween those two numbers, randomly.

Yeah im aware of this! as you can see i done the OP on this.and folloow the M4 Thread daily

Firstly i wasn't suggesting anything! merely asking the question to rule out any xposed module conflicts! as , as you will know that certain modules can have conflicts with the behaviour of certain roms, causing things to fail etc etc. also you may have noticed that i asked about modded hboots and scripts etc! These were initial questions that were leading up to further questions about there phone setup as I was trying to gain further info

[IMHO]The only configuration for M4 known to be safe is a Sense-based ROM + Sense-based kernel.

Thats your opinion! But Im pretty sure there was 1 brick incident on bilals sense rom! ive also found on the GPE edition there is no incall volume (no dial tone etc). Edit in call sound fix available

Anything CM-based = ticking time bomb,

Yes its documented that cm11 has an issue, but is being worked on...still, many users that have this installed have had no issue whatsoever !

everything else = lottery

That again is your opinion, and TBH is scaremongering. No reports at all on slim based roms...(i think this has been discussed at length in other threads so im not going to go into it again, but if you knew how to compile a rom from source then i think that would give you a valuable insight)

edit: there are also alot of reports out there about unrooted, unmodified, totally stock M4s going into bootloop, wont turn on etc...... just FYI

CHEERS

Last edited:
Reactions: jenkins-84

HTcOneV

Dec 2, 2012
So I had no luck with boothing the thing up. I decided To send it for a repair. I hope they wont find out That it was rooted and stuff...
Do you guys think they will?

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
So I had no luck with boothing the thing up. I decided To send it for a repair. I hope they wont find out That it was rooted and stuff...
Do you guys think they will?
Depends on what part of the world your from? So countries deem rooting your device as voiding warranty. (there's a link in this thread somewhere that I posted about your eu rights) Also depends on if your sending it to HTC direct or one of there 'trusted' repair centers. When you unlock bootloader at HTC Dev it's a unique code against your phones serial number ... The third party repair centre are not as thorough in there checks!

Edit- read this link (does not apply in UK as local (uk) laws take presidence ) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2666925

Last edited:

HTcOneV

Dec 2, 2012
Depends on what part of the world your from? So countries deem rooting your device as voiding warranty. (there's a link in this thread somewhere that I posted about your eu rights) Also depends on if your sending it to HTC direct or one of there 'trusted' repair centers. When you unlock bootloader at HTC Dev it's a unique code against your phones serial number ... The third party repair centre are not as thorough in there checks!

Edit- read this link (does not apply in UK as local (uk) laws take presidence ) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2666925

As i'm from the Netherlands I think That this also applies To me. I sent it To Dynafox reapair center. This morning I chatted with HTC about what happend. I told them that I rooted the device, and they answered me That my warrenty was gone (!). They told me That I should send it to Dynafox. As they say this, I guess That its not a third party repair center. I didn't tell Dynafox about the rooting thing as I hope the will not find it out ;). And yeah I unlocked it with HTC dev.

LQi

Apr 16, 2013
As i'm from the Netherlands I think That this also applies To me. I sent it To Dynafox reapair center. This morning I chatted with HTC about what happend. I told them that I rooted the device, and they answered me That my warrenty was gone (!). They told me That I should send it to Dynafox. As they say this, I guess That its not a third party repair center. I didn't tell Dynafox about the rooting thing as I hope the will not find it out ;). And yeah I unlocked it with HTC dev.

I also sent mine to dynafix, they took 2 months to repair nu phone but they fixed it for free. On the resume they said they replaced the mainboard, so I guess with your phone in this state, they arent even able to check wether it is s-off or not

Reactions: pure.by

HTcOneV

Dec 2, 2012
I also sent mine to dynafix, they took 2 months to repair nu phone but they fixed it for free. On the resume they said they replaced the mainboard, so I guess with your phone in this state, they arent even able to check wether it is s-off or not

Alright good To hear That but I dont wanna wait two months[emoji27]

LQi

Apr 16, 2013
They had to order new parts from Taiwan, thats why it took so long.

HTcOneV

Dec 2, 2012
So i got my phone back today. I think that its a new one, my old one had cracks in the plastic border, scratches on the back and on the glas. But this one has none of that! They said they did a boardswap but they actually replaced everything! It took them 2 days (!) to repair my phone. And the best thing of all is that i didnt have to pay anything.

But no rooting for me anymore, this time I was extremely lucky but i learned my lesson.

Reactions: pure.by

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi all,

i got rid of the problem by going to my carrier. (a1 - vodafone, austria)
    htc fixed it on guarantee (although i flashed a cm11-nightly)
    the problem was: a damaged mainboard, which got replaced - took about two weeks..

cheers, and good luck..
    I have the exactly same problem, my phone was rooted with CM11 nightly when it died. I sent it to my carrier, but now they want me to pay 200$ for a new motherboard, because they found it was rooted and the warranty is voided. Even when I pay 200$, i still will have no warranty. And I had more than 1 year left. Is there a problem with CM11? How comes that they replace it for some people for free, and for some not? Please, give me a tip how to proceed and do I really have any options from this point?

Hey. I sent it directly to AVARTO (service center here in Germany) they too wanted to charge me (around $ 240). Then I asked what exactly the problem was and they revised their statement. Sent it back for free within warranty. On the repair sheet it than said "not turning on. constantly".
    I have a clean twrp backup of my stock rom. If you pm me your email address, I can send you a link when uploaded.

Edit: It is 4.4.2, twrp 2.7.1.1
    Edit 2: Uploading
    Edit 3: Upload finished.
    No problem, there are so many helpful people on xda and it is good to be able to help someone back ?. My phone is also a European unlocked one so you should be fine. Hopefully the RUU:s will be available some time. I will send download link in pm, you can use it or not. Cheers!
    First do a backup of your current cm install (System, data and boot). On your internal SD-card there will be folders called TWRP\backups\phones serial number\backup name. Make a new folder where the cm backup folder is. Call it stock or something. Then it should be visible when you choose restore in twrp.

Edit: Off course you should put the files in the folder you created, and don't forget to wipe dalvik and cache after restore.