5,814,633 Members 53,469 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

BBC iPlayer Working on Kindle Fire HD in USA!

Tip us?

bbanghyung
Old
(Last edited by bbanghyung; 9th January 2013 at 09:14 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Default BBC iPlayer Working on Kindle Fire HD in USA!

After much struggling I have finally managed to put together all the info from different websites and found a working solution to get BBC's iPlayer working on my Kindle Fire HD in the USA. I will lay it out for you. (This is one of my first tutorial's so go easy on me)

I used a rooted Kindle Fire HD but apparently there is a way to do it with sideloading BBC iPlayer and orbot but I believe this requires a developers kit. I'll put those instructions on the bottom. **

Rooted way ->

1. Root Kindle Fire HD
2. Download http://www.torproject.org/dist/andro...bot-latest.apk
3. Install and grant super user access. Then set it up to be applied to the application you want.
4. You need to set the Exit Node correctly. Many places say just use {GB} as your exit node. However, this does not work for me. First, go to this site -> http://proxy.org/tor.shtml and find the Server Name of a United Kingdom server with an Exit Node. Copy down the name of the server.
5. In Orbot go to Node Configuration, in Exit Nodes type in the exit nodes separated by a comma. For example if the server names are bigUk1 and Doctorwho then enter in: bigUk1,Doctorwho
6. Select Strict Nodes only (This is important, it should only use the specified nodes)
7. start orbot then restart the device. (restarting is important, this is what enabled it to work for me.)
8. Install Flash Player - nice tutorial and updated links here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1774336
9. Download BBC iPlayer apk. http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/36125579/file.html
10. Once everything is installed Restart your device.
11. Wait for boot processes to load and open Orbot before doing anything. Make sure it is on and working and verify your exit nodes and options are still there.
12. Check to see if Orbot is working with this link. http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/index.php (open in your favorite Kindle Browser, I use Dolphin Beta, also if you are using dolphin it is flash friendly and you can even just go to BBC iPlayer and check to see if that is working too, make sure Dolphin is in Desktop mode in User Agent settings)
At this step you should see "Your IP is identified to be a Tor-EXIT. with Your Geolocation as GB. If this is the case then it should work!
13. Next Run BBC iPlayer and Enjoy! (I recommend watching Ripper Street and Doctor Who)

Note: Following a website recommendation, (you may not need this) After installing Orbot I changed the torcc file in /data/data/org.torproject.android/app_bin/torrc to have this at the very last lines. (not sure if this is necessary)
StrictExitNodes 1
exitnodes <list of the names you found in step 2 separated by commas>
An example of the second line above would be:
exitnodes anonion,anotherlink,colinwillsdorkyahoo
Save the file and exit notepad.

**Non-Rooted Kindle version (much easier to just use rooted version, FYI) I have not verified this works, but this makes sense. I thought I would provide the information as I found it during my search and it could be helpful to someone.

I figured out how to deploy Orbot with a custom torrc file, without having to rebuild Orbot from source, and without needing a rooted phone:
1. Download the latest Orbot apk file.
2. Open/extract the apk (it's really just a zip file with a different file extension) with your favorite zip utility.
3. Remove the META-INF folder from the apk.
4. Open the torrc file in the assets/ folder and modify it as you like.
5. Zip it all back up again.
6. Sign the .apk file using keytool and jarsigner according to the instructions at this URL: http://developer.android.com/guide/p...ning.html#cert
7. Copy to phone and install.
Works like a charm. Tested by specifying strict exitnodes and am now successfully watching the BBC iPlayer on my phone even though I'm in the UK.
You can't edit the torrc on the fly or without reinstalling Orbot using this method, but you don't need a rooted phone and you don't risk getting your torrc file overwritten by the old "default" one by Orbot.
Found here: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-android

Update #1: This tutorial can also be used for many things besides BBC iPlayer. I forget most people don't live in the USA. Probably better than BBC iPlayer for most people is free Hulu Access. Just install Orbot and search for USA with an exit node, note the server names of those then input them. Download Flash and Dolphin browser, then use Hulu from the Dolphin Browser. Untested as of yet because I live in the USA but I can more or less guarantee this will work, seeing as it worked for me with the picky BBC iPlayer. I am sure there are many more cool things like Hulu that can only be seen inside the USA so let me know what you find!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bbanghyung For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prokennexusa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 954

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Follow Up

bbanghyung,

Good job, great step-by-step instructions. I think you did a great job

for your first time. Keep up the good work! Also, welcome to the XDA

Community, you will be an asset to us all.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)

The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!

bbanghyung
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Default just edited the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa View Post
bbanghyung,

Good job, great step-by-step instructions. I think you did a great job

for your first time. Keep up the good work! Also, welcome to the XDA

Community, you will be an asset to us all.
Thanks. I just edited the post.

For Mods: I believe many of the users on XDA live outside the USA. This post would be very useful for anyone who wishes to view restricted USA content such as Hulu. This post should be stickied on the forum thread but with a different title along the lines of being able to view Hulu outside the USA. People who might utilize it for non Hulu sites would catch the drift if they see Hulu I think.

BELASCO
Old
Thanks Meter 84

DONATE TO ME
Works like a charm. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to BELASCO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kstephens98
Old
Thanks Meter 312
works great, thanks

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

tamoquera
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Works flawlessly. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to tamoquera For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

undied
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Ran into a few problems. Firstly, the link to the BBC Iplayer apk is down. I found another copy (google search) and i'm fairly certain its the same copy. I was able to get Orbot up and running, tested and all. However, when i click on bbc iplayer it takes me to the browser (i'm going to assume its not a stand alone player). I used Dolphin to open it and it'd take me to the iplayer website. When I tried to open any video though, it'd tell me that I needed to download the BBC Media player from market and once I clicked okay, it'd take me to the market (not amazon's, but google play). On their, it wouldn't allow me to download the App, saying that it isn't available in my region. I'm assuming this is because i've either used a messed up copy of bbc iplayer that i'm going through all this or that market isn't running through the proxy properly. Ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to undied For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bbanghyung
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Hi undied, I'm away from my computer right now but when I get back I'll upload the bbc iplayer apk I used. Sounds like your running into some issues with the iplayer apk you used. The one I had was standalone. Although I'm confused why the website asks for the app. I think your viewing bbc's website in mobile view. You'll need to go into settings and have dolphin set as a desktop user agent. That should fix the problem of using iplayer in dolphin. Let me know if that works and when I get home I'll upload the file.
Kindle Fire HD 7" 16GB TWRP/CWM 10.1
AC!D Audio Engine + Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
Antutu: 8050

bbanghyung
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Default linky

Quote:
Originally Posted by undied View Post
Ran into a few problems. Firstly, the link to the BBC Iplayer apk is down. I found another copy (google search) and i'm fairly certain its the same copy. I was able to get Orbot up and running, tested and all. However, when i click on bbc iplayer it takes me to the browser (i'm going to assume its not a stand alone player). I used Dolphin to open it and it'd take me to the iplayer website. When I tried to open any video though, it'd tell me that I needed to download the BBC Media player from market and once I clicked okay, it'd take me to the market (not amazon's, but google play). On their, it wouldn't allow me to download the App, saying that it isn't available in my region. I'm assuming this is because i've either used a messed up copy of bbc iplayer that i'm going through all this or that market isn't running through the proxy properly. Ideas?
I updated the link to the BBC iPlayer apk in the tutorial. Also I'll drop the link her for everyone.

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/36125579/file.html
Kindle Fire HD 7" 16GB TWRP/CWM 10.1
AC!D Audio Engine + Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO
Antutu: 8050

patronanejo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Not Enough for Hulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbanghyung View Post
Untested as of yet because I live in the USA but I can more or less guarantee this will work, seeing as it worked for me with the picky BBC iPlayer.
Hulu checks more than your geolocation--they also check the user agent associated with your Flash plug-in. No matter what user agent your browser broadcasts, Hulu won't believe you're at a computer unless you mod the file libflashplayer.so.

There is a script called Flashex 2.05 (thanks to NoSudo) that re-hacks libflashplayer.so when Flash over-writes the tampered version.

If you are on Android 4.1 it looks like there is a separate solution for any version after 4.0.4.

I use Flashex but it seems Vgeezy has modded the Hulu Plus apk so that no root or script handling is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbanghyung View Post
This post should be stickied on the forum thread but with a different title along the lines of being able to view Hulu outside the USA.
Ashish Mundhra has a posted a complete guide to Hulu on mobile outside the US at Guiding Tech.

The Following User Says Thank You to patronanejo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]