5,604,122 Members 49,350 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tmobile Galaxy S 2 not going beyon Boot screen

Tip us?

nikson1906
Old
(Last edited by nikson1906; 4th March 2014 at 10:48 PM.) Reason: added additional info about firmware
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Tmobile Galaxy S 2 not going beyon Boot screen

One fine day all of a sudden my SGH T989 ( Tmobile version of Galaxy S2) turned off and when I tried to turn it on it went in to the boot load loop and was not going beyond the Boot loaded screen which shows blue progress bar. Then I tried emergency firmware recovery option of the KIES but the progress bar on the recover dialog was getting stuck at 0 % for long time without any movement. Tried it multiple times by disabling the anti virus on my laptop , connected to different USB ports but same result. I couldn't get into the recover mode on my phone by pressing the Volume down+Power + Home button. The download mode option was also not working with by pressing both Volume Up+Down and Power button. But I could get in the Download mode by Pressing both volume up+down and then connecting the USB cable.
After KIES now the progress bar on boot load screen reaches almost 100% but after few seconds the screen turns completely black ( appears that the device is turned off) and it no longer goes in to the boot load loop.

After that I tried recovery thru ODIN by using the t898 Stock ROM, but it also doesn't work. It shows ABOOT on the first box on the screen and in the log it shows Nand Write Start !! and doesn't do anything beyond that point. I tried ODIN version 3.09, 3.07, 3.04 and 1.83 but same result every time.

Note: My phone is having Android version 4.1.2/ Software T989UVMC6 (Tmobile official Jelly Beans version) and is still factory locked.

Then I tried the CMW recovery file for T989 using ODIN 1.83 but no luck it get stuck at aboot.md and nothing happens.

I have latest version of KIES on my laptop.
While going thru some other post I read something about repartition but I couldn't find the proper instructions and PIT files for my phone.
Would appreciate guidance/advise to fix this issue.
My phone is out of warranty from both the carrier and Samsung. Samsung is asking to pay $70 for fixing the phone.
But I want to give it a try before sending it to samsung.

Fasted12
Old
Thanks Meter 17
try this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1414341
make sure you end all kies processes- use ics in thread and go from there...hope this helps

nikson1906
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasted12 View Post
try this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1414341
make sure you end all kies processes- use ics in thread and go from there...hope this helps
All download links provided on the thread given by you are broken. I could find ODIN 1.85 from some other sites but am having hard time finding the stock rom 4.0.3 that is mentioned in the thread. All hotfile.com links are not working.

Please let me know if there is a legitimate link available for download. Can I use the Jelly Beans recovery file?
I tried it with ODIN 3.09, 3.07 and 1.83 but it didn't work.

Fasted12
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikson1906 View Post
All download links provided on the thread given by you are broken. I could find ODIN 1.85 from some other sites but am having hard time finding the stock rom 4.0.3 that is mentioned in the thread. All hotfile.com links are not working.

Please let me know if there is a legitimate link available for download. Can I use the Jelly Beans recovery file?
I tried it with ODIN 3.09, 3.07 and 1.83 but it didn't work.
you can use the 4.1.2 tar file, needs to be odin 1.85 for this. forgot about hotfile,
try this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2226886&page=9 (look on last page)
these are everywhere on xda, you have to look through the comments since hotfile went down

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1374868
this link is working-- ive had better luck flashing to ics when soft bricked. mine accepts radio better and then i flash custom rom after root,

nikson1906
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
you can use the 4.1.2 tar file, needs to be odin 1.85 for this. forgot about hotfile,
try this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2226886&page=9 (look on last page)
these are everywhere on xda, you have to look through the comments since hotfile went down

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1374868
this link is working-- ive had better luck flashing to ics when soft bricked. mine accepts radio better and then i flash custom rom after root,
I tried 4.1.2 tar file ( downloaded from Samsung-Update.com) yesterday with ODIN 1.85 but still same result. It get stuck at Nand Write Start !!

I'll try with ICS rom from the links provided by you but I doubt it will work. Do I need to repartition using PIT file. I read in few other threads that guys had same problem and after using the PIT they could fix their phone. I searched for PIT file for Tmobile Galaxy S 2 (T989) but couldn't find. I see that there a PIT file available with ODIN 1.85 which I downloaded, but am not sure if that is the correct one for my phone.

Fasted12
Old
Thanks Meter 17
You can try, be careful, a lot of hard bricks come from trying to repartition. What windows do you use, and end Kies process if running.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

nikson1906
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
You can try, be careful, a lot of hard bricks come from trying to repartition. What windows do you use, and end Kies process if running.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
I am using Windows 7. I checked in task manager and made sure no process that starts with the name KIES or has samsung in description is not running. Is there any specific service/process that I need to kill before starting the ODIN?

Any other thoughts, like if I need to disable the anti virus completely which might be restricting ODIN and KIES to write to the COM port?
I downloaded a utility for monitoring the serial port while ODIN was running but once I get the NAND Write Start !! I don't see any activity on the port.

I tried the PIT file that came along with ODIN 1.85 and T989 stock Rom together ( I kept the Re-Partition checked.), but again it got stuck at...

<ID:0/05> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/05> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

Still same issue, no change in the Device status..

Fasted12
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
I am using Windows 7. I checked in task manager and made sure no process that starts with the name KIES or has samsung in description is not running. Is there any specific service/process that I need to kill before starting the ODIN?

Any other thoughts, like if I need to disable the anti virus completely which might be restricting ODIN and KIES to write to the COM port?
I downloaded a utility for monitoring the serial port while ODIN was running but once I get the NAND Write Start !! I don't see any activity on the port.

I tried the PIT file that came along with ODIN 1.85 and T989 stock Rom together ( I kept the Re-Partition checked.), but again it got stuck at...

<ID:0/05> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/05> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

Still same issue, no change in the Device status..
only thing i ever check is auto reboot, only value i use is PDA-thats where the .tar file goes. uncheck re-partition.

nikson1906
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
only thing i ever check is auto reboot, only value i use is PDA-thats where the .tar file goes. uncheck re-partition.
Re-partition I checked only when I used the PIT file.

any other thoughts like, if I need to flash ?

Fasted12
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Re-partition I checked only when I used the PIT file.

any other thoughts like, if I need to flash ?
pit files are related to the size of repartition, thats not what you need. if your phone will still go to download mode but will not boot, you should follow the guide i posted in the first reply , especially step 2, i have recovered many with that guide. sometimes i had to use gingerbread rom first to get files that were missing to upgrade.