Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,222 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Reception problems

Tip us?

Syst3mSh0ck
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Reception problems

I am on my third replacement because of reception/connectivity issues, the signal appears to be strong but placing your hand around the back of the phone at the bottom causes the signal to degrade significantly also network data is very touch and go. I can be in the middle of town with a perfect HSPA signal and get very mediocre results sometimes it just doesn't work at all. I have tried three replacement SIMs, changing the GSM voice codecs, flashing different baseband radio firmwares all with no positive results. I also tried my partners SIM which is on a different network and had the same problem. I'm just starting to think that the antenna design is not very good and has low-gain characteristics, although that wouldn't explain why the connection is still unstable despite the baseband reporting a strong signal.

Another problems is absolutely terrible call quality, there is lots of white noise in the background, speech is distorted sometimes, pops, clicks, and just general instability. I've read so many different threads on many forums with people describing the same issues, and they too went through many replacement handsets and different SIM cards.

Please someone tell me there is a fix for this or it is at least a known issue otherwise I'm going to return this POS and get the Galaxy S4 instead. My previous phone SGS3 was great with reception! Bah! I'll cast it to Davey Jone's locker... release the kraken!!

Mikkey81
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syst3mSh0ck View Post
I am on my third replacement because of reception/connectivity issues, the signal appears to be strong but placing your hand around the back of the phone at the bottom causes the signal to degrade significantly also network data is very touch and go. I can be in the middle of town with a perfect HSPA signal and get very mediocre results sometimes it just doesn't work at all. I have tried three replacement SIMs, changing the GSM voice codecs, flashing different baseband radio firmwares all with no positive results. I also tried my partners SIM which is on a different network and had the same problem. I'm just starting to think that the antenna design is not very good and has low-gain characteristics, although that wouldn't explain why the connection is still unstable despite the baseband reporting a strong signal.

Another problems is absolutely terrible call quality, there is lots of white noise in the background, speech is distorted sometimes, pops, clicks, and just general instability. I've read so many different threads on many forums with people describing the same issues, and they too went through many replacement handsets and different SIM cards.

Please someone tell me there is a fix for this or it is at least a known issue otherwise I'm going to return this POS and get the Galaxy S4 instead. My previous phone SGS3 was great with reception! Bah! I'll cast it to Davey Jone's locker... release the kraken!!
You can try setting your phone to LTE only.
Type in dialer:

3845#*802#,then the secret menu will come up...Then:

1. Go to LTE-Only
2. Modem Settings
3. RAT Selection
4. Select GSM / WCDMA / LTE auto or what ever selection you want

Job done...

P.S If you have another D80x just enter your model number instead " X " in dialer etc: 3845#*802 or 803 or xxxxxx (not my work BTW)

Or seriously consider changing phones.
I've had fantastic reception on my vs980 but maybe your area vs. Carrier vs signal just isn't going to cut it.

Sorry man, love this phone way more than the s4... The s4 sure is pretty though.