Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 39,726 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rom fatigue

Tip us?

maxpower7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 529
Default Rom fatigue

I've been flashing roms for almost 4 years now on almost a dozen phones. My go-to rom has always been CM, and for a while I was flashing all the nightlies for this phone and setting everything up from scratch every few days.

But a few weeks ago, something dawned on me: after untold hundreds of rom flashes, I think I'm actually tired of doing this. With all the unresolved data issues on AOSP roms and various other minor problems, I suddenly couldn't bring myself to modify my phone in a way that would actually remove functionality. I've now been on stock rooted MF9 for going on a month, and other than the inevitable 4.3 update, I don't think I'll be flashing any more roms on this or any other phone.

I've been a die-hard rom flasher for almost as long as I've been using Android devices and I certainly didn't see this coming. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

stevenk007
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Yeah ive been wondering if the data (signal) issues will ever be resolved.

miketucky350
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Yep same here ive flashed thousands of times. About a year ago on my s2 I had aosp . Well we got lost the kids were screaming gps didnt work and data speeds were awful. I flashed back to stock or stock based and everything was great. At that point I realized stick with stock. I will say that the touch wiz based roms here are wonderful. I feel you on fatigue. I've been on sacs rom for a long time and don't plan on changing it.
Sgs 4 black
Stock mf9 rooted

mjs2011
Old
Thanks Meter 1,680
I'm with you. I got sick o of flashing roms all the time too. Been running stock for a about a month now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

dandan2980
Old
Thanks Meter 866
I feel the same only have flashed a couple Roms and am also just sick of always setting up new Roms. Just find one and stick with it I am on sacs. Was on Slim Bean but sacs is amazing and its TW based so don't have to worry about all the bugs that Aosp brings. But I gotta say Slim Bean was solid. Stable build 1 everything was working data ,GPS ,mms I had no problems. I remember just flashing every single ROM that was available back in my OG Evovdays.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to dandan2980 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drouse
Old
Thanks Meter 4
LoL. Feel almost the same here....

ParkerParker
Old
Thanks Meter 1,158
Well I've been on stock Deodexed for getting close to a month, before that I flashed all the roms, my wife said I had a problem lol, but for the time being I'm quite happy with my phone being fully functional and having 4g every where I go. I'm still always looking at xda for the next big thing, but as of now I'm staying slightly modded with the convenience of a working PHONE :beer:
July is a great month here in Washington state,very GrEeN
The Following User Says Thank You to ParkerParker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maxpower7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerParker View Post
Well I've been on stock Deodexed for getting close to a month, before that I flashed all the roms, my wife said I had a problem lol, but for the time being I'm quite happy with my phone being fully functional and having 4g every where I go. I'm still always looking at xda for the next big thing, but as of now I'm staying slightly modded with the convenience of a working PHONE :beer:
That's kind of how I am. I still compulsively check XDA every day even though I never flash anything anymore. It's just really nice to have a phone where everything works. MMS is a good example of something that I don't necessarily use all the time but it's nice for it to be functional when I need it. I suppose I'll probably give KitKat a spin when the roms start rolling out though

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxpower7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ranchosteve
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Same here, I know there are some awesome developers. But I really need stability. I look for the slimest close to stock ROM I can find.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

ronnienyc
Old
Thanks Meter 37
This is so funny. I must have tried 50 ROMs on my various phones in the past few years. So many have claimed “visious battery ilfe! Screaming speeds!!!! This will make you cry with tears of joy!”

And then they run about as fast as stock, often with worse battery life, and with broken functionality.

There were some exceptions, like MeanBean on the Evo LTE, and a few others which ran pretty much flawlessly, but switching back to stock always makes me think, “wow, this is not any worse than that custom ROM I just had – a little uglier, but stock runs better…”

(Of course I always appreciate the hard work, and it is fun experimenting.)