Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Do you use Box sync and Dropbox?

OP Simba501

8th May 2013, 06:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,140

3,179 posts
I have a Box account. I'm trying to find the value in it, as I currently use Dropbox. Does anyone here use Box in conjunction with Dropbox?

The Box sync application for PC seems to work well, but I don't see any utility that Dropbox doesn't handle. The file size limit (Box) is pretty debilitating.

How do you handle your file syncing?
Last edited by Simba501; 8th May 2013 at 08:58 PM.
8th May 2013, 09:28 PM   |  #2  
Flag Washington
Thanks Meter: 1

25 posts
More
I actually use 3 different syncing services: Google Drive, Dropbox and SkyDrive, each with its own specialty.

I use Dropbox for all of my pictures (they recently made a nice improvement on their site which lets you organize with a nice GUI your albums and photos).

I use Google Drive to sync my class notes because it integrates quite usefully with Evernote (using IFTTT). I also manage my personal stuff with Google Drive where I have a 2-step authentication to protect these files.

SkyDrive is mainly used for Excel, Word and PowerPoint files across my work and home computers.
8th May 2013, 09:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,140

3,179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgal

I actually use 3 different syncing services: Google Drive, Dropbox and SkyDrive, each with its own specialty.

I use Dropbox for all of my pictures (they recently made a nice improvement on their site which lets you organize with a nice GUI your albums and photos).

I use Google Drive to sync my class notes because it integrates quite usefully with Evernote (using IFTTT). I also manage my personal stuff with Google Drive where I have a 2-step authentication to protect these files.

SkyDrive is mainly used for Excel, Word and PowerPoint files across my work and home computers.

Ah, nice. I forgot to mention that I also use Google Drive. I'm a bit disorganized in what I use each of my syncing services for. I recently signed up for Skydrive too lol; haven't used it yet though.

Thanks for sharing.
8th May 2013, 11:13 PM   |  #4  
Flag Asheville, NC
Thanks Meter: 35

336 posts
More
I use Box for all my personal stuff. I also use Dropbox, but that is for business/work stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to captaincanada84 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2013, 05:54 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,426

2,080 posts
More
I like box better (now) because they gave me 50GB free for life, whereas drop box only gave me 26GB for 2 years.. Though drop box has a better ui and site

Sent from my Nexus 4
9th May 2013, 05:57 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 41

190 posts
More
I use Dropbox for pictures and managing my nooks ebook collection (via dropsync on the device).

Box is used exclusively for android phone stuff like backing up apk's, wallpapers, ring tones, and syncing titanium backup. Basically it's useful for instances where you have lots of small files that add up real fast (which is no problem thanks to the 50 gb of storage).

I also use Google drive because I don't do much word processing anymore and don't even have an office suite installed on my computer. It's basically used for the occasional letter or for updating my resume.

Used to use sugarsync while I was in school so I always had access to school stuff (spread all over my hdd) but haven't even logged in in months.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Duckman5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2013, 04:25 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 114

454 posts
I use both, i like dropbox better but i have more free space through box.
13th May 2013, 04:36 AM   |  #8  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 4

52 posts
Donate to Me
More
How'd you guys get the 50gb on Box? From the app page all I see is 5gb they're offering :/

& to answer your question OP, I'm using Dropbox + Google Drive. Dropbox has a superb UI and is just much easier to use.
13th May 2013, 03:53 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 41

190 posts
More
They ran a couple of specials a while ago for iPhone and Android owners that offered 50 Gb if you installed their mobile app. Suffice it to say that the offer was too good for most of us to resist even with their file size limits.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
14th May 2013, 05:26 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 404

1,734 posts
More
Was able to get 25gb for box for running windows 8 on a dell computer. Good enough, same as dropbox. I also use google drive for school and Ubuntu one to transfer files through multiple computers/devices.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread