No registration required

One X Gets Hot without use and battery life tanks

OP EliWay

19th June 2012, 03:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 67

616 posts
I've been noticing less than stellar battery life ever since I got my One X.

Lately I have noticed that sometimes my One X will get slightly hot under use(around the camera area), and then after I'm done using it, it still hot and my battery drains like crazy.

I turn the screen off, kill all apps, wait 5, 10, 30 minutes, even one hour I have waited, and the phone is still warm!

I don't use any apps that run in the background or have services that use a lot of battery. I've checked logcat, betterbatterystats, Cpu Spy and can't find anything wrong. I've tried different roms and the same thing happens.

The fix is simple. I just power it off and on and the problem goes away for a few hours, but then comes back! When I power it off, the area gets ice cold in less than 3 minutes , which tells me something is going on.

I can't figure out a pattern to trigger it but it seems to happen most when my phone switches to WiFi from LTE or vice versa.

Has anyone noticed this? It's been incredibly frustrating.
-----------------------------------------------------
After months and months the problem has been found and resolved. It was due to an LTE bug that would happen in certain areas(such as subway stations) if you lost all signal and then regained. The phone would get warm and battery would drop significantly, as much as 2% per minute. The drain would not stop until a full restart.

After trying many many roms, and after about a month testing it, this one has the problem fixed. I haven't tested other ROMS and quite frankly it works so well that I didn't bother testing for other ROMs.
Last edited by EliWay; 19th October 2012 at 03:47 PM.
19th June 2012, 05:15 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

49 posts
I have this problem too. I put mine to sleep, after waking up from an hour nap the darn thing is hot! And of course the battery drained like crazy. Although it's too early to come to a conclusion, but so far it hasn't happened ever since I turned off autosync and wifi every time I take a nap..
19th June 2012, 06:17 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 200

1,630 posts
Run betterbatterystats and carat, they can all identify various issues.
19th June 2012, 03:31 PM   |  #4  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 13

167 posts
More
My phone does not deep sleep at all. Wtf?
19th June 2012, 03:41 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 58

700 posts
I'm having the same problem, carat and bbs aren't helping

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
19th June 2012, 04:03 PM   |  #6  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 5,045

1,986 posts
Donate to Me
More
See if there are rouge apps running in the background that are keeping the phone from deep sleeping.
19th June 2012, 04:18 PM   |  #7  
Flag New Holland, Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 104

497 posts
More
Go to Settings -> Wifi -> Advanced -> Best Wi-Fi Performance and make sure it's unchecked. It's been known to prevent deep sleep. I'm not sure it would cause such a huge drop in life or the heat, but every little bit helps.
19th June 2012, 04:21 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Boston, MA

616 posts
Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm an advanced user, I've tried everything, carat, BetterBatteryStats, aLogcat, System Panel, Cpu spy, you name it. The phone is actually deep sleeping.

Also, I've noticed that the radio area gets hot more than the cpu area, so it might be a radio issue? I'm running baseband 0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08U .
19th June 2012, 04:27 PM   |  #9  
Flag New Holland, Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 104

497 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuzinn

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm an advanced user, I've tried everything, carat, BetterBatteryStats, aLogcat, System Panel, Cpu spy, you name it. The phone is actually deep sleeping.

Also, I've noticed that the radio area gets hot more than the cpu area, so it might be a radio issue? I'm running baseband 0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08U .

I'm on 0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08L (same as you, except for the L). I noticed that you mentioned that it may be when you're switching between WiFi and LTE, maybe it's continuing to hold on to that LTE connection? Also, where is the radio area in relation to the CPU? I know the CPU is right underneath the camera.
19th June 2012, 04:56 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Boston, MA

616 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stnguyen09

I'm on 0.17.32.09.12_10.86.32.08L (same as you, except for the L). I noticed that you mentioned that it may be when you're switching between WiFi and LTE, maybe it's continuing to hold on to that LTE connection? Also, where is the radio area in relation to the CPU? I know the CPU is right underneath the camera.

What is the difference between the L and the U? I've never flashed any radios so I guess I'm using the stock one from the 1.85 update.

I actually just assumed it's the radio because I was testing a cpu stress app to see if it would get "locked" in a high frequency thus causing the drain, but the area that got hot was to left of the camera area, and usually when the problem happens I can sense the warmth more to the right, around the LED flash.

I just charged my phone to 100% and it got warm, I unplugged it and waited a few minutes and the phone was still hot. I turned the phone off and in a matter of minutes (Like 4) , the phone was ice cold again. The plot thickens...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread