Create Open Galaxy Gear Manager

Search This thread

the|gamer

Sep 27, 2009
Rhineland-Palatinate
Ist there some Team/Developer working on an OpenSource alternative to the official Samsung Galaxy Gear Manager? I am the programmer behind OpenFetch (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sindaccos.openfetch) which was just a test to get the HTC Fetch working with any BLE/Android 4.3 enabled Smartphone.

This gave me so much experience with BLE profiles, characteristics and co. so I am searching for some more devs helping me coding an OpenGearManager.

So who is with me?

Regards,
Gamer

st-tps

Aug 4, 2010
Sweden
www.lundsoftwares.se
Nope, no work on a OpenSource replacement is going on atm, not in the public anyway.

I´we done some custom Gear apps for the null_ rom but if I´m capable of helping out with this, I don´t know.
I´m sure @fOmey (author of null_) can help out with lot´s of info for the project.

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
I love the idea !

Pushing notifications to the gear using a open program would be awesome for end users.

Have you checked out M2D ? It would be a great start if you could get the source.

Last edited:

gidi

May 29, 2006
How about an iPhone (Cydia) app that would push notifications to the Gear?

djskipellis

Jan 16, 2014
This is the best idea yet. Because of the fact that I'm an idiot I would love to be able to push apps and make other changes via the gear manager. I would think this would open the door for other idiots like myself to get this watch. I am running null 16 but had someone else load it for me. would love to go 22 but don't know how plus I heard you lose settings in touchwiz...a reinvented gear manager would fix this right?

skitapa

Apr 19, 2011
I would like to help, but do not have the time right now. Could it be possible to reverse engineer the proprietary protocols so we can use the apps created for the gear with the open version of gear manager?

smokestack76

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 18, 2008
Clinton Indiana
I have been looking into this. But there is alot thats way over my head. But i would say its not possible. Not for now anyhow. But anything is possible i guess.

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
I have been looking into this. But there is alot thats way over my head. But i would say its not possible. Not for now anyhow. But anything is possible i guess.

I wouldn't go as far as saying its impossible...

If you have experience in bluetooth communication between devices & JSON requests it may not be as hard as you may think.

It would be a bit of a difficult project tho !

Lets forget about JSON requests for a minute and listen to my theory:

Half of it is done with M2D manager by pacosal, the bluetooth connectivity part anyway... if someone was to code a notification listener for the host phone, we could push the M2D intents to the gear.. simple enough right ?

We then code a listener for the gear to listen for M2D intents, when one of the "notification intents" is received we fire the following intent to show a custom notification.

For a example put this command in adb shell:

Code:
am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -n com.samsung.notifications/com.samsung.notifications.NotificationAlertActivity -e title Test

This would give basic notification functionality, its not that difficult to code and it would work across all android devices.

If I was confident enough to code in JAVA, I would take on the project myself although with a lack of time to learn and other ongoing projects it makes it hard... in saying that tho I am more than happy to help anyone who is game to make a start !

One of the gear users created a third party app to send notifications to the gear: ATN

If only he released the source, it would be excellent to get an idea how things work.

Last edited:

JakeyPie

Apr 4, 2012
Melbourne
I'm all up for that iPhone cydia app! I really want a gear but don't like samsung phones. I'd pay for the app too, if you list it for a price, I'd pay up to $15-$20 for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: thedinks

Moose0704

May 6, 2012
Princeton TX
Google Pixel Fold
It would be great to have this working, i am currently using ATN Manager and was a pain to get working as you have to find and use a specific version of the app to get the functionality, i posted about it here as well as getting the WatchStyler working on a non-Samsung device (Nexus 5) here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50550974&postcount=129

However you only get a message that you got a notification for some and not a full message to read, while that works while your phone may be on silent it would be great to have the full functionality like with a Samsung device.

Very excited about this! Hope someone can get it going! I'd be more than happy to test as I am sure is with other! ;)

Gohanks

Feb 25, 2014
First of all - Hi everyone! I'm a frequent reader, first time poster.

Now to the point. As soon as I'm done with my masters defense (around next two weeks), I'm starting a project that might help with this idea.

I'm basically going to implement an android service that will provide an abstract interface for communication between any android phone with bluetooth capability (if possible, still some research ahead of me) and Galaxy Gear. I haven't decided yet if interaction will be done by intents or if it would be in form of a library or even raw classes. Still if the project will succeed I'm going to try to build the same abstract interface for Windows Phone devices (no intents here, so propabbly as a library). If it proves possible then same thing will be done with iOS, by a friend of mine.

Assuming this would work, someone would have to reverse engineer the Gear Manager, so if there is anyone that is able to do that I will be happy to cooperate in any way I can.

I'm not promissing anything for now, but let's see how will things go.

Moose0704

May 6, 2012
Princeton TX
Google Pixel Fold

Now to the point. As soon as I'm done with my masters defense (around next two weeks), I'm starting a project that might help with this idea.

I'm basically going to implement an android service that will provide an abstract interface for communication between any android phone with bluetooth capability (if possible, still some research ahead of me) and Galaxy Gear. I haven't decided yet if interaction will be done by intents or if it would be in form of a library or even raw classes. Still if the project will succeed I'm going to try to build the same abstract interface for Windows Phone devices (no intents here, so propabbly as a library). If it proves possible then same thing will be done with iOS, by a friend of mine.

Assuming this would work, someone would have to reverse engineer the Gear Manager, so if there is anyone that is able to do that I will be happy to cooperate in any way I can.

Awesome, looking forward to where this goes! ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ist there some Team/Developer working on an OpenSource alternative to the official Samsung Galaxy Gear Manager? I am the programmer behind OpenFetch (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sindaccos.openfetch) which was just a test to get the HTC Fetch working with any BLE/Android 4.3 enabled Smartphone.

This gave me so much experience with BLE profiles, characteristics and co. so I am searching for some more devs helping me coding an OpenGearManager.

So who is with me?

Regards,
    Gamer

I'm all up for that iPhone cydia app! I really want a gear but don't like samsung phones. I'd pay for the app too, if you list it for a price, I'd pay up to $15-$20 for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk