Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Question [Q] Flash ROM using Odin vs. Recovery (convert zip to rar?)

OP j111

18th February 2014, 01:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

50 posts
I'm flashing my first ROM today, and have settled on Wicked.

I found that flashing TWRP using Odin was super painless and smooth, and I've seen other ROMs that can be installed using Odin (and I don't have much storage space left)

The download for Wicked is a zip file, though (am I correct that Odin requires tar files only?)

Can I unzip the Wicked download, then put it into a tar file using Windows (WinRAR) (or I can also use Linux) for installation via Odin?

If it's possible to do this, is there any special way that these archives are built? Anything to pay attention to?
18th February 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #2  
Flag Sugar Land TX
Thanks Meter: 1,716

6,694 posts
More
Just download the zip, flash in recovery. Can't get any easier than that. Plus Wicked has an aroma installer so you need to go recovery route. If you're worry about space, delete zip after you're done.

☞ Sent from here ☜
18th February 2014, 02:20 AM   |  #3  
Flag Marysville WA
Thanks Meter: 464

813 posts
Donate to Me
More
I agree use recovery. If you don't have space in your phone's sdcard just transfer your files to your PC then flash the ROM in recovery and then transfer your files back to your phone.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
18th February 2014, 04:47 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

50 posts
Thanks for the replies. That seems sensible, use the format that's given, especially for my first time.

That said, I *am* interested about the possibilities of converting from zip to tar and installing with Odin for future reference. I am comfortable with developer tools, just new to the Android environment. Should I ask this question in the developer sub-forum instead?
18th February 2014, 08:42 AM   |  #5  
Flag Marysville WA
Thanks Meter: 464

813 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j111

Thanks for the replies. That seems sensible, use the format that's given, especially for my first time.

That said, I *am* interested about the possibilities of converting from zip to tar and installing with Odin for future reference. I am comfortable with developer tools, just new to the Android environment. Should I ask this question in the developer sub-forum instead?

Actually it wouldn't be just converting from zip to tar. Tar files include the bootloader, modem and radio. Zip Roms do not include any of these items, just the kernel. It's by far much easier to flash via recovery. TWRP is a great recovery I've tried them all and it's compatible with most roms out there.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

Here you go http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246 this will probably be the way for you to learn all about tar files.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrzhadow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
odin
Previous Thread Next Thread