Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 51,135 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery drain with wifi ON

Tip us?

hermes669
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Battery drain with wifi ON

I have enormous battery drain when wifi is ON, also when the screen is off and the phone is in deep sleep. I lose about 6% of battery without touching the phone. Tried different combinations of roms and kernels but nothing changed, how's it possible?

peppethustra
Old
Thanks Meter 273

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes669 View Post
I have enormous battery drain when wifi is ON, also when the screen is off and the phone is in deep sleep. I lose about 6% of battery without touching the phone. Tried different combinations of roms and kernels but nothing changed, how's it possible?
You have to check for the apps which are using wifi while it's on. Some apps, like Facebook, whatsapp, hangout, and many others stay on the background searching for Internet connection.. Another problem could be related to synchronization, do you turn it off when it isn't necessary?

Sent from my LG-P880 - Beanstalk 4.4.2 - Iodak 9.95 kernel - using xda app-developers app

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1570
Also, check in wifi - advanced - wifi scanning always available. And make sure it's off (on KitKat roms)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

muvilici
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Maybe the fact that you actually played with the kernels so much, determined it to drain so fast. Go back to the stock kernel and you'll see the difference .

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk
Device: LG Optimus 4X HD
ROM: Stock JB 4.1.2
Kernel: STOCK

hermes669
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I already tried all different kernel and roms combinations (stock, iodak ect.), synchroniz is disactivated. I also tried to unistall whatsapp and all messagging app and ibernated apps using wifi with greenefy. wifi scanning is ever OFF . At this point I don't know what I do, I tried everything

balloon27
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Try an app like Networklog to pinpoint the apps using your WiFi

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

peppethustra
Old
Thanks Meter 273

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I already tried all different kernel and roms combinations (stock, iodak ect.), synchroniz is disactivated. I also tried to unistall whatsapp and all messagging app and ibernated apps using wifi with greenefy. wifi scanning is ever OFF . At this point I don't know what I do, I tried everything
Try this: uninstall trickster, or the different app you're using to set kernel values, then reboot the phone (it will boot with default kernel settings).. After that, reinstall trickster, then set your custom values..make sure you're using cubic as tcp congestion algorithm, (Westwood assures smoother data transfer, but it drains battery faster, especially while you're using mobile data, in my opinion..)

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda app-developers app

dimi89
Old
Thanks Meter 175
If you are on stock rom then DONT set "keep wifi during sleep - never,when screen is off,set it to alwayse since sometimes this command get stuck and will reproduce know wifi delay on sleep wakelock.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk
****LG 4x -Experimenting with different roms- ****

P.S.If someone help you it is polite to say "Thank you" (in this case hit "Thank you" button

itnetwork
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I do have exactly the same problem. Using CM stable 10.1.2 with default CM kernel.

Deep sleep is fine when Wifi is on (no wlan_rx_wake issues) but nevertheless it is draining like 7-8% per hour when Wifi is on...

fozland
Old
(Last edited by fozland; 15th February 2014 at 09:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Hey,
just like u i have the same troubles, the battery drain was the main reason to root and start with custom rome.
For sure some rom gave me better battery but finally i figure out that wifi has bigger battery consumption than 3G alone.
So i use wifi for big downloads or if theres no data network.
In normal use (music, internet, mail...) i never reach one day without charge d the phone.

ATM, am under the latest beanstalk ROM, wich is quite good, with wifi off last night, i've lost only 2% battery

U can also try this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...octor_en&hl=fr
It was working quit good under 4.3 rome like slimbean or vanir i haven't tried under kikat based ones

Hope it helps