XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z Ultra GPE Rom/root questions

Tip us?

PR0XIDIAN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Prompt Xperia Z Ultra GPE Rom/root questions

So, my little brother opened one of the waterproof flaps on my sony Xperia Z in the pool the other day. I would have been sad, but I saw it as an excuse to buy a Z ultra GPE. Luckily, a week after I ordered the Z Ultra GPE, the original Z started working again with no problems (despite the 3 red LDI's) but thats another story... Anyways, I've ordered the GPE edition of the Z ultra, and I'm having trouble discovering rom compatibility. I've had trouble finding any info about this in the forums so I thought I'd ask. Are the steps to root the phone the same? Do any of the LTE supported roms work? Do I still need to backup the keys so I don't lose things like the bravia engine?

TLDR: Xperia Z ultra GPE rom compatibility.

EDIT: I know that most of you with a vanilla Z ultra really want the GPE rom, so I should clarify that the only reason I'm interested is in hopes of getting a kitkat cyanogen or pac-man rom running.

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5441
Congrats, and welcome! You can root it by following these steps (jump down to "rooting GPe"). I'll be honest and tell you that i'm actually not that sure about the first question. I want to say "go nuts" with the AOSP ROMs (do not flash Sony ROMs), but i'm not 100% sure. I'm around 95% sure.

I think i'll summon @hamdogg @blueether @ChillyChan and @jackie099 and see what these guys say.

I DO NOT RUN A SUPPORT LINE THROUGH PERSONAL MESSAGES,
SO PLEASE DO NOT PM ME ABOUT HELP (*COUGH* UNLESS I KNOW YOU *COUGH*).

THANK YOU, AND PLEASE HAVE A COOKIE ON YOUR WAY OUT.

PR0XIDIAN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Congrats, and welcome! You can root it by following these steps (jump down to "rooting GPe"). I'll be honest and tell you that i'm actually not that sure about the first question. I want to say "go nuts" with the AOSP ROMs (do not flash Sony ROMs), but i'm not 100% sure. I'm around 95% sure.

I think i'll summon @hamdogg @blueether @ChillyChan and @jackie099 and see what these guys say.
I assumed the sony roms wouldn't work. That alone made it a tough decision to chose the GPE because I really like some of what timescape has to offer. That being said, my biggest frustration with my Xperia Z (on T-Mobile USA) was that the bootloader was locked. As someone who has flashed custom roms/kernels on every android phone I've ever owned I really felt "stuck" on the T-Mo Z. Getting A GPE ensured I can have my fun. (Plus. You know. Kitkat.)

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5441
Here's CM11 for the GPe version at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hamdogg
Old
(Last edited by hamdogg; 11th February 2014 at 12:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 980

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Newsteam assembllllleeeeeeeee !! !!

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

I'm not 100%... but I think that a GPe will be fine to flash a Sony ROM... however I think that once you do you are stuck?!!?
Or perhaps that was because at the time there were no GPe ROM's available...

The steps to root the GPe are different. The kernel isn't the same as the Sony kernel, so to root will require a different method.
I've not investigated this so can't help.
The Following User Says Thank You to hamdogg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5441
Ham, I actually laughed out loud when I read the first part. Excellent!

Didn't someone around here say that GPe people shouldn't flash Sony ROMs or something? And CM has its own CM11 branch for the GPe, so I'm actually not sure what's true anymore

The rooting though is pretty straight forward, and the method in my guide is taken from the guy that dumped the GPe ROM when he got it, so that should work just fine.

Sent from my old Desire HD using Morse code

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 469

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ham, I actually laughed out loud when I read the first part. Excellent!

Didn't someone around here say that GPe people shouldn't flash Sony ROMs or something? And CM has its own CM11 branch for the GPe, so I'm actually not sure what's true anymore

The rooting though is pretty straight forward, and the method in my guide is taken from the guy that dumped the GPe ROM when he got it, so that should work just fine.

I'm not a rom master, but I cant see why you couldn't flash any AOSP ROM (or even Sony, but I cant see the latter booting at all without some kernel work). Surly a AOSP Rom is only is only going to flash /system and boot.img, then you would just need to reflash @DooMLoRD's kernel/recovery (or better yet swapout the boot.img in the zip)

The questions are, are the partitions the same for /system /data and boot?
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5441
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether View Post

Hahah, you see? There are too many unanswered questions, so I'm not putting my stamp on anything in this thread

But I agree, all AOSP ROMs around here should work just fine, but why does CM have its own Togari GPe version of CM11? What's the difference between the XZU and GPe? I know there are some differences in the bootloader and stuff like that but...

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 469

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hahah, you see? There are too many unanswered questions, so I'm not putting my stamp on anything in this thread

But I agree, all AOSP ROMs around here should work just fine, but why does CM have its own Togari GPe version of CM11? What's the difference between the XZU and GPe? I know there are some differences in the bootloader and stuff like that but...

maybe just because of the differing kernel and some of the low level partitions?

another question, could we use adb to dd the raw disk image to a normal ZU. yes I know that this is a failsafe way to brick the phone is you get it even slightly wrong...
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

PR0XIDIAN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether View Post
I'm not a rom master, but I cant see why you couldn't flash any AOSP ROM (or even Sony, but I cant see the latter booting at all without some kernel work). Surly a AOSP Rom is only is only going to flash /system and boot.img, then you would just need to reflash @DooMLoRD's kernel/recovery (or better yet swapout the boot.img in the zip)

Ok, so I'm am totally willing to help with development on my phone in any way I can. I LOVE the XDA community. If anyone wants to test roms, needs a system dump, anything at all I can help. Hell, I'd even let someone remote into my desktop to poke around in the phone over ADB. Anything that can help the community with this simply awesome phone.