Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,016 Members 50,442 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CMD wont Change to \Android

Tip us?
 
bb2si
Old
#1  
bb2si's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 117
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Default CMD wont Change to \Android

I just purchased the Sprint variant of the HTC One Max and decided to unlock the bootloader to root it. I followed the instructions up to the point where I have to have to run the fastboot command in CMD. The example shows the CMD changing its directory to \Android. When I try to do this, I'm given the error: "The system cannot find the path specified." I tried just doing fastboot command, but came back with "fastboot is not recognized..."

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Android SDK, Java Runtime, and HTC Sync are all installed and updated.

Thanks in advance!
 
dottat
Old
#2  
dottat's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 751
Posts: 1,921
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: york, pa

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2si View Post
I just purchased the Sprint variant of the HTC One Max and decided to unlock the bootloader to root it. I followed the instructions up to the point where I have to have to run the fastboot command in CMD. The example shows the CMD changing its directory to \Android. When I try to do this, I'm given the error: "The system cannot find the path specified." I tried just doing fastboot command, but came back with "fastboot is not recognized..."

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Android SDK, Java Runtime, and HTC Sync are all installed and updated.

Thanks in advance!
You need to run cmd prompt as admin and CD to wherever the platform tools folder is installed (part of the sdk)...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
bb2si
Old
#3  
bb2si's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 117
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
You need to run cmd prompt as admin and CD to wherever the platform tools folder is installed (part of the sdk)...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the quick reply.

This worked, but when I attempt to run the command for the fastboot I get an error saying "The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer."

Was this something that was supposed to be installed from one of the Android SDK installs?
 
dottat
Old
#4  
dottat's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 751
Posts: 1,921
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: york, pa

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2si View Post
Thank you for the quick reply.

This worked, but when I attempt to run the command for the fastboot I get an error saying "The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer."

Was this something that was supposed to be installed from one of the Android SDK installs?
Sounds like part of it didn't install correctly. Rinse and repeat. Maybe something got hosed in your earlier attempts.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
 
bb2si
Old
#5  
bb2si's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 117
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
Sounds like part of it didn't install correctly. Rinse and repeat. Maybe something got hosed in your earlier attempts.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
I happened to have found the file in a different folder. Should I just drag and drop it into the adt folder?
 
dottat
Old
#6  
dottat's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 751
Posts: 1,921
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: york, pa

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2si View Post
I happened to have found the file in a different folder. Should I just drag and drop it into the adt folder?
Which folder and what else was in it ?

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
 
bb2si
Old
#7  
bb2si's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 117
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
Which folder and what else was in it ?

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
It was in the sdk\platform-tools folder.

Does the command line have to be directed to the folder containing the fastboot application file? Inside said platform-tools folder is the fastboot file as well as the ApbWinApi.dll file.
 
bb2si
Old
#8  
bb2si's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 117
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
OH! I think I got it! I'll report back with final details...

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
 
dottat
Old
(Last edited by dottat; 17th February 2014 at 04:10 AM.)
#9  
dottat's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 751
Posts: 1,921
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: york, pa

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2si View Post
OH! I think I got it! I'll report back with final details...

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
Lol....didn't I say platform tools the first time ? Good luck man...

Btw if you get it working you just learned one of the most important prerequisites for android modding.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to dottat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bb2si
Old
#10  
bb2si's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 117
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
Lol....didn't I say platform tools the first time ? Good luck man...

Btw if you get it working you just learned one of the most important prerequisites for android modding.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
Yep! Unlocked the bootloader successfully! Now, I'm trying to Root and the instructions I'm following are good, but I'm stuck again - It says to run CMD and use the command "adb devices." It comes back with nothing found, yet, according to the instructions my phone's serial number should be listed. I placed the Superuser.zip file in the phone's storage (per requisite) and tried to run the command with the phone on normally and again in the bootloader.

No luck... Suggestions?


Edit: USB Debugging wasn't on... Trying again...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Port Sony Xperia Themes to CyanogenMod 11 with Ease

In addition the obvious proficiency with graphics, creating agood Android theme … more

Cell Phone SIM Unlock Bill Just Steps Away from President’s Desk

For all those who believe that Cinderella stories don’t actually … more

Get Your Cargo to its Destination in 4×4 Military Operations Reborn

Racing games have evolved quite a bit since the days of Pole … more