DIY: Note3-to-Laptop Clip

Search This thread

dsp0704

Jun 6, 2012
Hi, first I want to apologize because I don't know where to post. I thought Accessories section was appropriate.
After searching all over the internet for weeks trying to find some device that attach phone to laptop I could not find anything. Actually I found two, one looked way to bulky and had mixed reviews and the other I liked (Kickstarter project: Sidecar) but these products never gets made for non-Apple products. I was not surprised there.
I could just get a kickstand case or a portable stand but I didn't want to do that since I don't always work on a desk and I also spent my case money on Spigen Slim Armor S-View. Actually, this case is a necessity. The clip was designed to work with this case but I can see how I could modify it to work with other cases.
Anyways, I decided to do-it-myself. After lot's of prototypes, sandblasting, drilling, and superglue, it actually turned out really good. It clips on and off smoothly with no effort but it stays on securely. I can even lift my laptop and travel across the room with it and it stayed on. I was impressed. It also worked as a portrait-mode kickstand in two different angles but landscape mode didn't work so well. But the fact that it doubles as kickstand was a nice little bonus. One thing I don't like was that it covered quite a big chunk of my display since the Note3 is so massive. But to me it works because my screen resolution is 3200x1800 and the convenience of this set-up is just perfect work-environment for me. Especially with Samsung's SideSync software. SideSync lets you control phone with laptop keyboard and mouse, drag and drop, and other stuff. Really cool.
I'm going to post some pictures, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,161
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,142
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 913
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 933
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 906
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 997
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 934
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 841
  • 9.png
    9.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 819
  • 10.png
    10.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 827

elhamy

Sep 10, 2007
Im sorry but what is the point from hanging you phone this way and blocking part of your laptop screen !

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk 2

bertmansk

Aug 16, 2012
Yea, it wouldn't be that bad of an idea if it didn't block half of your screen. Why not make it so it clips outside of the screen instead of in front of it?

dsp0704

Jun 6, 2012
Hmm I made a replied to thread but it gave me an error.
Anyways I just wanted to say thanks for replying. I agree the screen covering is a bummer but it actually gives me a more real estate in dual screen set up with SideSync. It boosted my work flow even if it was just to play a movie while doing repetitive work. I can play movie on the laptop as well but that drains my battery from 10 to 3 hours which is not long enough to finish work. But if only it didn't cover up the screen....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jye75

Jul 1, 2008
Waterford, MI
My question is, if you're going to take up part of your screen with the phone, while using SideSync, why not just show the phone's screen on the laptop, and then size it a bit smaller, as shown on the SideSync webpage instead of clipping it to the front of the screen? At least that way you could move the visual representation of the phone around if you wanted to.

dsp0704

Jun 6, 2012
I tried the phone screen on laptop but it is a little laggy. Not bad but I want smooth experience. Using mouse and keyboard on phone screen has zero lag.

Reactions: Jye75

babyshanks

Oct 28, 2013
Minneapolis
I applaud you for the ingenuity. I'm a big fan of DIY projects, but this is a very specific to your personal needs piece of work. Got me inspired though. Might model and print a clip that hangs it on the side of my screen. Problem is getting sidesync to work fully on thinkpad.

CZroe

Nov 13, 2011
Newnan, GA
I used dual-sided suction cups back when I was tethering my network to my iPhone.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried the phone screen on laptop but it is a little laggy. Not bad but I want smooth experience. Using mouse and keyboard on phone screen has zero lag.