[Q] Sprint S4 - cannot connect to internet via gsm chip

OP i_vance

9th September 2013, 04:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi All,

I have a Sprint S4 (SPH-L720) which i got from the states. I plan to use this in Canada...was able to root/unlock the phone via SIM Unlock Method posted (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...light=sph-l720).

My issue is that i am unable to browse internet or use any apps needing internet on the GSM/UTMS network mode. I have a Rogers LTE chip that i am using and am able to use the phone (voice calling) with no issues. I can use internet on wifi but am unable to when trying internet via the phone chip...i do have a 6GB plan with Rogers and can browse internet when used on another phone.

I had to downgrade the Baseband to MDL/MDC to sim unlock the phone and have later installed MF9.
The software version and baseband now on the phone is: L720VPUAMF9. Earlier had an issue that the wifi was not working, option was disabled...(was getting a message - that an app is trying to connect...) this got fixed after i flashed the kernel version.

Can anyone advice how i can use data from the GSM network and not wifi.. has anyone faced the same issue.
9th September 2013, 08:29 AM   |  #2  
Flag Springfield Gardens
Thanks Meter: 166

674 posts
Add your APN for your gsm sim under APN settings.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
9th September 2013, 09:05 AM   |  #3  
Flag Southern California
Thanks Meter: 2,675

8,314 posts
More
Yup, its all in the APNs.

10th September 2013, 05:33 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel4653

Yup, its all in the APNs.

Thanks guys...i was able to get the APN settings and now my phone works on data from the lte chip inserted.

Now my issue is that my phone does not show LTE....i have another S4 with Rogers and i verified running speed test on a friend's phone to compare...my specs on the sprint phone are almost 40% lower than his phone on the same network..ran from the same location (apt). I tried various combinations i.e. (LTE, LTE/CDMA, GSM) but i can only get 3g or H+.

Any suggestions that i can try...Thanks!
10th September 2013, 07:40 AM   |  #5  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 90

487 posts
More
This phone doesn't have the proper bands to work on Rogers LTE.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th February 2014, 08:42 AM   |  #6  

1 posts
urgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_vance

Hi All,

I have a Sprint S4 (SPH-L720) which i got from the states. I plan to use this in Canada...was able to root/unlock the phone via SIM Unlock Method posted (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...light=sph-l720).

My issue is that i am unable to browse internet or use any apps needing internet on the GSM/UTMS network mode. I have a Rogers LTE chip that i am using and am able to use the phone (voice calling) with no issues. I can use internet on wifi but am unable to when trying internet via the phone chip...i do have a 6GB plan with Rogers and can browse internet when used on another phone.

I had to downgrade the Baseband to MDL/MDC to sim unlock the phone and have later installed MF9.
The software version and baseband now on the phone is: L720VPUAMF9. Earlier had an issue that the wifi was not working, option was disabled...(was getting a message - that an app is trying to connect...) this got fixed after i flashed the kernel version.

Can anyone advice how i can use data from the GSM network and not wifi.. has anyone faced the same issue.

thnkes
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread