[Q] Is the Note 8 worth the money now?

OP ArobeeTV

17th February 2014, 08:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Dawson Creek
Thanks Meter: 9

34 posts
Donate to Me
So, basically, I'm in the process of quitting smoking. As a "congratulations" type gift, my parents are purchasing me a tablet. I'm stuck choosing between the Nexus 7 (2013) and the Galaxy Note 8.0 right now. I already know the Nexus is worth the money, but I like the features and such on the Note.

If you saw my other thread asking about ROMs for a Note, that was part of trying to make my decision. Now that I've seen that I can keep the functionality, gain some more, and improve performance, I have to decide if it's going to be it or the Nexus.

At $330, is the Galaxy Note 8.0 worth the money at this point in its life cycle? Please try to avoid just straight yes or no answers, I would love you to elaborate. I know it also depends what I'm using it for, so just assume that I like to draw, am not fantastic at it but it's a fun hobby, and I would make use of the office suite included.
17th February 2014, 12:05 PM   |  #2  
Flag Richmond, VA
Thanks Meter: 353

1,058 posts
More
I had the Note 8.0 and the Nexus 7 2013. The Note 8.0 has much ore functionality and a MicroSD slot. The Nexus has the better screen. They are similar speed wise. Best Buy has the Note 8.0 for $299 right now. I assume because the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 launched last week. I like Multiwindow of the Note also.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrage23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Dawson Creek

34 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23

I had the Note 8.0 and the Nexus 7 2013. The Note 8.0 has much ore functionality and a MicroSD slot. The Nexus has the better screen. They are similar speed wise. Best Buy has the Note 8.0 for $299 right now. I assume because the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 launched last week. I like Multiwindow of the Note also.

Thanks very much for your input. At Best Buy here, the Note 8.0 is $330, but I'm Canadian so that's just the crappy exchange rate.

I've done extensive reading on both of these tablets, and that's something that really stood out, just how much more functionality the Note has over the Nexus. The SD card slot is a huge thing, too. Being able to spend $40 and slap a 64gb class 10 MicroSD card in it would be nice. Speed wise, I heard TouchWiz can be laggy, get hung up here and there, but that custom ROMs fix that with improved performance, removing some bloatware, etc.

As it stands, I'm still slightly on the fence between the two, but I'm leaning toward the Note. I figure I don't need to make this thread in the Nexus forums, because I already know the Nexus is worth the money (minus that there's no SD card slot) and it's got its own advantages. I'm glad the Note 8.0 community is willing to give me some insight
18th February 2014, 03:49 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 11

77 posts
Amazon has refurbished models for $250US.

IMHO, the only reason to chose a Note 8.0 over a Nexus 7 is the stylus/handwriting recognition. it's what makes the Note truly unique the 7-8" tablet range. If pen computing is 'nice, but not essential', then go with the Nexus 7. It's cheaper, a better screen, just as powerful, and slightly better battery life. The speakers suck compared to the Note, but then most people use headphones or powered speakers than listen to the tablet 'naked'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spookymonster For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2014, 04:16 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Dawson Creek

34 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookymonster

Amazon has refurbished models for $250US.

IMHO, the only reason to chose a Note 8.0 over a Nexus 7 is the stylus/handwriting recognition. it's what makes the Note truly unique the 7-8" tablet range. If pen computing is 'nice, but not essential', then go with the Nexus 7. It's cheaper, a better screen, just as powerful, and slightly better battery life. The speakers suck compared to the Note, but then most people use headphones or powered speakers than listen to the tablet 'naked'.

Thanks muchly for your input! From what I've heard, the speakers on the Note 8.0 are pretty crap, very tinny. That's not much of a concern though because, as you said, headphones or external speakers are what I'd be using when I'm using it for movies or music.

For me, the advantages from the stylus are that I can use it to draw, to learn to draw because kindergarten kids probably do better work lol, and various small functions like improved web browsing and such. I've also got a thing for teaching myself random things because... well... I'm a nerd lol, so the S pen will be good for general stylus uses in that regard as well, like highlighting, etc.

Now, one thing I've noticed is people talk so much about how the Nexus 7 has a much better display and that text is hard to read on the Note 8.0. However... if you look at reviews from before the Nexus 7 or iPad Mini Retina came out, you see everybody saying how nice the display looks and how easy it is to read all sizes of text. To me, that says that focusing on the resolution and the PPI is more a marketing scheme than anything. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 and iPad Mini Retina DO have sharper screens, the numbers don't lie, but the people talking about those numbers tend to exaggerate just how much a difference it is.
20th February 2014, 02:01 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
I have the note and my wife has the nexus. I much prefer my note over hers. The extra inch of screen males a huge difference. I also use the pen a lot at work highlighting material, writing logs but mostly writing on pictures.

The resolution on the nexus is better but the functionality of the pen makes this the tablet to have IMHO.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ronjr123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 76

381 posts
Well I paid half price before Christmas for a new boxed 5110 and in January half price for a new boxed SGH-i467. Could not touch those deals with any other product that is like the Note 8.0. Though there is not many like it to choose from.
The Following User Says Thank You to gooberdude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Dawson Creek

34 posts
Donate to Me
Well, it's decided! You've all helped me solidify my thoughts about the Note 8.0, I'm not just crazy and making myself think it's good. That's what I'm getting then! I'll just have to figure out how to get updates manually, since in Canada we don't seem to get them very fast. From what I've heard, we don't even have 4.2.2 available for OTA updates here.
20th February 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,348

7,710 posts
If I were buying a tablet now, I'd highly consider the Tab Pro 8.4, which was just released in the US yesterday for $399.

It looks to be everything the Note 8 is, except with a much nicer screen and an updated processor; but no pen. Although personally, I found I don't even use the pen on the N8.

The N8 is a great tablet, and I use it every day, sometimes for hours. But its getting close to last gen specs, having been released April 2013. And I typically don't recommend buying last gen technology.
20th February 2014, 07:23 PM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag Dawson Creek

34 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

If I were buying a tablet now, I'd highly consider the Tab Pro 8.4, which was just released in the US yesterday for $399.

It looks to be everything the Note 8 is, except with a much nicer screen and an updated processor; but no pen. Although personally, I found I don't even use the pen on the N8.

The N8 is a great tablet, and I use it every day, sometimes for hours. But its getting close to last gen specs, having been released April 2013. And I typically don't recommend buying last gen technology.

I would certainly consider the Tab Pro 8.4, but my problem is price. I'm stuck with a firm $350 price limit (tax not included), and it's unfortunate because an extra $50 would open up my options immensely, but beggars can't be choosers right?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread