Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,576 Members 37,703 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cannot get into recovery

Tip us?
 
velvel
Old
#1  
velvel's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 129
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ottawa
Default Cannot get into recovery

Hi all
I use HTC One X, but bought some time ago HTC One S, it worked fine for some time, but yesterday restarted and from that point I could not get it back neither to recovery nor ROM anymore. Phone bootloops and I can only get to fastboot.
I've unlocked the bootloader (*** UNLOCKED *** shows on top when in fastboot) and fastboot getvar all returns:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.11.50.05.28
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.16.666.9
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT24AW408183
(bootloader) imei: 352103050022322
(bootloader) product: vle
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
(bootloader) modelid: PJ4011000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3695mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-64bedd38
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

When I flash recovery (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and recovery.img is from here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2528113 under Recovery HBOOT 2.15 Users Only ClockworkMod 6.0.4.5), it does flash ok
sending 'recovery' (8106 KB)..
OKAY [ 1.079s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.856s]
finished. total time: 2.943s

but I still cannot get into recovery (phone restarts to screen with red text (for dev only...) and then restarts and bootloops.
Can anybody please help me with this?
Thanks
Device : HTC One X
ROM : [ROM][Evita][Nightlies][4.4.2](2/16)AOKP - Unofficial
Kernel: Torched
Previous devices: HTC One S, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, HTC Legend, G Tablet, HTC Magic
 
jaco_lbn
Old
#2  
jaco_lbn's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 17
Join Date: Nov 2013
I suggest reflashing kernel.

Wysłane z mojego HTC One S przy użyciu Tapatalka
Using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jaco_lbn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
velvel
Old
#3  
velvel's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 129
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco_lbn View Post
I suggest reflashing kernel.

Wysłane z mojego HTC One S przy użyciu Tapatalka
Thanks, but I even cannot get into recovery
Device : HTC One X
ROM : [ROM][Evita][Nightlies][4.4.2](2/16)AOKP - Unofficial
Kernel: Torched
Previous devices: HTC One S, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, HTC Legend, G Tablet, HTC Magic
 
velvel
Old
#4  
velvel's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 129
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvel View Post
Thanks, but I even cannot get into recovery
Hm, really strange behavior, had couple of HTC phones but never seen something like this happening.
I did run RUU (first changed cid and relocked), everything went fine (no errors), but still cannot boot. My experience so far was that if RUU runs fine, you should boot without problem. Thinking more and more that there is some hardware problem, that is causing phone to bootloop.
If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks
Device : HTC One X
ROM : [ROM][Evita][Nightlies][4.4.2](2/16)AOKP - Unofficial
Kernel: Torched
Previous devices: HTC One S, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, HTC Legend, G Tablet, HTC Magic
 
42freelancer
Old
(Last edited by 42freelancer; 17th February 2014 at 10:53 PM.) Reason: ALSOOOOO
#5  
42freelancer's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 79
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Port Saint Loser
Default Build me a scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvel View Post
Hm, really strange behavior, had couple of HTC phones but never seen something like this happening.
I did run RUU (first changed cid and relocked), everything went fine (no errors), but still cannot boot. My experience so far was that if RUU runs fine, you should boot without problem. Thinking more and more that there is some hardware problem, that is causing phone to bootloop.
If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks
According to your first post, everything seems to be okay. Your drivers are seeing the phone, and the phone is recognizing its hardware.

Which recoveries did you try to flash? (TWRP, CWM)
And which version?
Have you tried to reroot the device and flash a recovery again since running the RUU?

From my experience with running an RUU, you should be able to boot right away. What were the steps you took (in order) before you ran the RUU?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to establish a scenario.

[EDIT] Also, I see that you got the initial recovery from the CM11 ROM page. You didn't happen to flash a ROM that is meant for HBOOT 2.16 did you? I sure hope not. That could be a possibility as to why you can not boot anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to 42freelancer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
velvel
Old
#6  
velvel's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 129
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42freelancer View Post
Which recoveries did you try to flash? (TWRP, CWM)
I've tried both. fastboot flash recovery imgname would work fine, but I would again finish in bootloop after restart.
Quote:
And which version?
TWRP_2.6.1.0_ville_4.2.2 and latest CWM
Quote:
Have you tried to reroot the device and flash a recovery again since running the RUU?
You mean reunlock, not reroot, right? I've done reunlock so I could flash recovery.

Quote:
From my experience with running an RUU, you should be able to boot right away. What were the steps you took (in order) before you ran the RUU?
I would run:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader
and then start RUU.

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions, trying to establish a scenario.
You are welcome and thanks for the help.
Quote:
[EDIT] Also, I see that you got the initial recovery from the CM11 ROM page. You didn't happen to flash a ROM that is meant for HBOOT 2.16 did you? I sure hope not. That could be a possibility as to why you can not boot anything.
No, 2.15 all the time...
Device : HTC One X
ROM : [ROM][Evita][Nightlies][4.4.2](2/16)AOKP - Unofficial
Kernel: Torched
Previous devices: HTC One S, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, HTC Legend, G Tablet, HTC Magic
 
42freelancer
Old
(Last edited by 42freelancer; 18th February 2014 at 03:39 AM.) Reason: lol
#7  
42freelancer's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 79
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Port Saint Loser
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvel View Post
I've tried both. fastboot flash recovery imgname would work fine, but I would again finish in bootloop after restart.

TWRP_2.6.1.0_ville_4.2.2 and latest CWM

You mean reunlock, not reroot, right? I've done reunlock so I could flash recovery.


I would run:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader
and then start RUU.


You are welcome and thanks for the help.

No, 2.15 all the time...
Try getting into bootloader and pushing the kernel this way: fastboot flash boot boot.img
you don't have to be in recovery for this. The phone is s-on right?

[edit] actually your security says it's off.
"When morning comes, we all wake up to the sun.
When mourning comes, we all wake up to the Son."
 
velvel
Old
#8  
velvel's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 129
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42freelancer View Post
Try getting into bootloader and pushing the kernel this way: fastboot flash boot boot.img
you don't have to be in recovery for this.
No, it didn't work, this is something more serious
I've basically tried all I could think of, from doing RUUs (3 of them), flashing boot and recovery images, going 2.15, 2.16, locking/unlocking (obviously) and finally going S-On (ok, might be stupid, but I run out of ideas).
Bottom line is that all of the flashing worked for me, I get no error, but even simple fastboot boot recovery.img brings back the bootloop.
For example:
>fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-ville-selinux.img
sending 'recovery' (8668 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.108s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 2.059s]
finished. total time: 3.173s
>fastboot reboot

and if I hold Vol- and select recovery in bootloader I am back to bootloop.
Same thing if I try:
>fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-ville-selinux.img

I just do not understand why I am not getting any error message when flushing and is it possible that there is something wrong with the hardware that causes this behavior...
Device : HTC One X
ROM : [ROM][Evita][Nightlies][4.4.2](2/16)AOKP - Unofficial
Kernel: Torched
Previous devices: HTC One S, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, HTC Legend, G Tablet, HTC Magic
 
42freelancer
Old
#9  
42freelancer's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 79
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Port Saint Loser
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvel View Post
No, it didn't work, this is something more serious
I've basically tried all I could think of, from doing RUUs (3 of them), flashing boot and recovery images, going 2.15, 2.16, locking/unlocking (obviously) and finally going S-On (ok, might be stupid, but I run out of ideas).
Bottom line is that all of the flashing worked for me, I get no error, but even simple fastboot boot recovery.img brings back the bootloop.
For example:
>fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-ville-selinux.img
sending 'recovery' (8668 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.108s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 2.059s]
finished. total time: 3.173s
>fastboot reboot

and if I hold Vol- and select recovery in bootloader I am back to bootloop.
Same thing if I try:
>fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-ville-selinux.img

I just do not understand why I am not getting any error message when flushing and is it possible that there is something wrong with the hardware that causes this behavior...
Sounds like you have a soft brick on your hands.

Can you boot the device at all, stock or custom ROM?
Maybe reverting to COMPLETE STOCK and starting over fresh will help?
What was the last thing you did right before you got stuck?
"When morning comes, we all wake up to the sun.
When mourning comes, we all wake up to the Son."
 
velvel
Old
#10  
velvel's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 129
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42freelancer View Post
Sounds like you have a soft brick on your hands.

Can you boot the device at all, stock or custom ROM?
Maybe reverting to COMPLETE STOCK and starting over fresh will help?
What was the last thing you did right before you got stuck?
No, I cannot boot, after RUU that runs fine, phone still bootloops and only thing I can do is go into bootloader.
When you say COMPLETE STOCK, you mean RUU, right?
I was talking on the phone and phone restarted. After that I was able to boot after many tries, after restart, could not boot and than tried RUU etc...
Device : HTC One X
ROM : [ROM][Evita][Nightlies][4.4.2](2/16)AOKP - Unofficial
Kernel: Torched
Previous devices: HTC One S, LG Optimus 2X, Motorola Atrix, HTC Legend, G Tablet, HTC Magic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes