FORUMS

Android M Preview Images – XDA TV

Android M preview images are available. That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he … more

I/O Summary: How Android M Handles Power And Charging

In the spirit of improving the core Android experience, Google is changing Android … more

I/O Summary: Google Photos App

At I/O 2015, Google tackled the information problem in mobile once more, this time through … more

I/O Summary: Development, Play Store, The Next Billion

VP of Engineering Jen Fitzpatrick began talking about what Google is doing to … more

Overheating issue

Thanks Meter: 3
 
By muvilici, Junior Member on 12th February 2014, 09:46 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I'm running Slimbean 4.3.1 ROM with Iodak 9.95 kernel. I have played Modern Combat 4 for like 10 minutes and the phone felt like it was about to catch fire. Any idea on how I could solve this?

Sent from my Optimus 4X
 
 
12th February 2014, 10:18 PM |#2  
JoinTheRealms's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Christchurch, NZ
Thanks Meter: 1,103
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvilici

I'm running Slimbean 4.3.1 ROM with Iodak 9.95 kernel. I have played Modern Combat 4 for like 10 minutes and the phone felt like it was about to catch fire. Any idea on how I could solve this?

Sent from my Optimus 4X

underclocking and/or and undervolting is really all you can do, the are plenty of protections in the kernel for individual components from overheating, the phone will begin to throttle (automatically underclock) around 75c generally and shut down in the mid 80c. So other than the battery drain, theres not really anything to be concerned with.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoinTheRealms For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 02:48 AM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
....I have a question.. Where is Iodak kernel 9.95? Sorry..

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2014, 06:12 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scweeny

....I have a question.. Where is Iodak kernel 9.95? Sorry..

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda app-developers app

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=50072951

Please next time search in the iodak thread

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2014, 07:37 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyvirus

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=50072951

Please next time search in the iodak thread

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda app-developers app

Sorry, I can't find it... ㅠㅠ
13th February 2014, 05:21 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scweeny

Sorry, I can't find it... ㅠㅠ

Page 207, post 6

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda app-developers app
25th February 2014, 11:48 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
How hot is the phone allowed to be? I wouldnt say that my 4XHD catches fire, but when I do something like play a game it is so hot that I cant touch the back of the phone for ~10 seconds because its too hot. Is this bad for the phone? I did no overclocking oder such things. Stock kernel and Vanir 4.3.
26th February 2014, 12:08 AM |#8  
JoinTheRealms's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Christchurch, NZ
Thanks Meter: 1,103
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climuff

How hot is the phone allowed to be? I wouldnt say that my 4XHD catches fire, but when I do something like play a game it is so hot that I cant touch the back of the phone for ~10 seconds because its too hot. Is this bad for the phone? I did no overclocking oder such things. Stock kernel and Vanir 4.3.

Well theoretically the SoC will start to deteriorate rapidly around mid 90c+ but it has built in protections, independent of kernel/ android to prevent that, still you would have to go out of your way to disable/ remove all protections in the kernel source before that become a problem.

The kernel will shutdown around mid 80s (this number is usually tweaked in custom kernels) but before that the cpu will start throttling mid 70s (and usually temps wont go past this)
26th February 2014, 12:37 AM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTheRealms

Well theoretically the SoC will start to deteriorate rapidly around mid 90c+ but it has built in protections, independent of kernel/ android to prevent that, still you would have to go out of your way to disable/ remove all protections in the kernel source before that become a problem.

The kernel will shutdown around mid 80s (this number is usually tweaked in custom kernels) but before that the cpu will start throttling mid 70s (and usually temps wont go past this)

thanks for the answer, so I dont have to worry about the temps...
26th February 2014, 12:40 AM |#10  
JoinTheRealms's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Christchurch, NZ
Thanks Meter: 1,103
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climuff

thanks for the answer, so I dont have to worry about the temps...

Well not as far as the hardware is concerned, but it gets pretty uncomfortable to hold at 70c lol
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes