Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 48,154 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[idea] load custom ramdisk from SD card

Tip us?

KeiranFTW
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2724

DONATE TO ME
Default [idea] load custom ramdisk from SD card

Okay, so the way we are having a recovery on the locked boot loader at the moment is loading recovery.tar on /system/bin/ and the only problem with this is it could be accidently overwritten when a ROM is installed.
I think I have a better method, but it requires you have an SD card.
Instead of extracting the contents of the RAMdisk from an archive, have them loaded from a partition on the SD card? and then when a custom ROM is developed have its ramdisk in the update package and have it written to the external SD card, then when the system is loaded then mount that partition at / .. This is just an idea though.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
Sony Xperia SP - C5303 O2

illumination app for Xperia SP
The Following User Says Thank You to KeiranFTW For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sharonliu
Old
Thanks Meter 40
maybe munjeni can help you
here is his work for Xperia Boot Menu v1.0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...-v1-0-t2418241

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiranFTW View Post
Okay, so the way we are having a recovery on the locked boot loader at the moment is loading recovery.tar on /system/bin/ and the only problem with this is it could be accidently overwritten when a ROM is installed.
I think I have a better method, but it requires you have an SD card.
Instead of extracting the contents of the RAMdisk from an archive, have them loaded from a partition on the SD card? and then when a custom ROM is developed have its ramdisk in the update package and have it written to the external SD card, then when the system is loaded then mount that partition at / .. This is just an idea though.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sharonliu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]