5,595,196 Members 46,680 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How can I disable updates for specific apps in the market?

Tip us?

implodeme
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] How can I disable updates for specific apps in the market?

It used to be the market would separate apps that were approved for auto update from those that had disabled auto update set. One could then simply hit the Update All (for the group) button and it would update ONLY the apps that were auto update enabled. Over the past few months Play Store has changed their behavior in that it no longer separates the apps and will only enable auto updates for everything or nothing.

How can I hide or otherwise prevent these few apps that I do not want to update from being in the play store update list? As it is now, I have to selectively update each individual app from the list, skipping the few apps I do not want updated.

Thanks,

Currently on a Samsung GS3, rooted, stock.

ParishM
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by implodeme View Post
It used to be the market would separate apps that were approved for auto update from those that had disabled auto update set. One could then simply hit the Update All (for the group) button and it would update ONLY the apps that were auto update enabled. Over the past few months Play Store has changed their behavior in that it no longer separates the apps and will only enable auto updates for everything or nothing.

How can I hide or otherwise prevent these few apps that I do not want to update from being in the play store update list? As it is now, I have to selectively update each individual app from the list, skipping the few apps I do not want updated.

Thanks,

Currently on a Samsung GS3, rooted, stock.

did you ever find a solution to this ?
“The Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything is...42!”

implodeme
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Actually yes,... I think. I'd suggest making backups of your apps (TitaniumBU or other).

Open Play Store
Menu: Settings
Enable Auto Updates (Mine is set to when on WIFI only)
Go back to main Play store page.

Menu: My Apps
Under Installed, locate any app that you wish to change and select it, this opens the App Details page.
Menu: Auto-update untick the checkbox.

Still trying to confirm this condition: Seems that if you manually update an app that is not set to auto-update, it will possibly reset the auto-update flag to 'Enabled'
The Following User Says Thank You to implodeme For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Greg T Pal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by implodeme View Post
Actually yes,... I think. I'd suggest making backups of your apps (TitaniumBU or other).

Open Play Store
Menu: Settings
Enable Auto Updates (Mine is set to when on WIFI only)
Go back to main Play store page.

Menu: My Apps
Under Installed, locate any app that you wish to change and select it, this opens the App Details page.
Menu: Auto-update untick the checkbox.

Still trying to confirm this condition: Seems that if you manually update an app that is not set to auto-update, it will possibly reset the auto-update flag to 'Enabled'
Hi!

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I am kind of fighting with a similar issue, my problem is,
the apps I don't want to auto update are google apps(Keep/Youtube/Gtalk), which are replaced
by black counterparts from Team Blackout(with exception of Gtalk, I just don't like Hangouts)
and of course there is no "disable auto update" option with google system apps.

As of this date, I can see no valid option for selectively update the installed app catalogue, this
might be a decision from Google's part to push out the obsolete apps by force, which is understandable,
but I think there should be an option to have this feature.

Now at this point I am updating the apps manually app by app, and of course
with about 200 plus apps installed a complete PITA.

Thanks for any answers at this point, and this is my first post here btw, please be kind.
Tags
apps, play store, updates