Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 43,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] moto g fell in water

Tip us?

vamshi43@gmail.com
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] moto g fell in water

my moto g fell in water. it is not working. will it come under warranty . if not how much it costs for repair..........................................

da2tha3
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
I believe that all manufacturers state in their standard warranty that water damage is not covered. If you take the rear cover off and take a look towards the bottom, you'll see there's a small red mark that indicates water damage. If this is present, you're out of luck with regards to an in-warranty repair.

My suggestion would be to store the phone in a container with dried, brown rice, for two days. Perhaps place the container on top of a radiator or similar heat source, to speed up the evaporation process. You don't want to induce too much heat to further damage the device.

Also possible is a bag of silica gel crystals that you usually get in pairs of shoes - place this in an airtight container with the phone and they'll soak up some moisture.

My girlfriend recently dropped the Moto G in water and within two days it was fully repaired, now works perfectly. Don't give up on it yet!

bartmw
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Got similar problem, my daughter drop her Motorola into bath. Left to dry for more than day next to boiler. Now not turning on, when plug charger LED flash white and goes off. After few seconds again and again just flashes and no more.
Thinking that battery gone as manage to turn on phone after incident and spotted that battery was on 0%.
- Xperia SP, Samsung Galaxy S4
- SE Xperia Play 800i
- HTC PAND100

Motorola CD 160 - Ericsson A1018s - Siemens C35 - Ericsson T10 - Nokia 6310i - Nokia 3510 - SE 610 - SE W200 - SE Zylo - SE Xperia Mini - SE Xperia Play - SE Xperia SP - Smsung Galaxy S4 ...

ManBearrrPig
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmw View Post
Got similar problem, my daughter drop her Motorola into bath. Left to dry for more than day next to boiler. Now not turning on, when plug charger LED flash white and goes off. After few seconds again and again just flashes and no more.
Thinking that battery gone as manage to turn on phone after incident and spotted that battery was on 0%.
plug it into the charger and hold the power button for 2-3minutes. then leave it charging for an hour and than try to turn it on.

mr_nooby
Old
Thanks Meter 475

DONATE TO ME
Put it in a bowl of uncooked rice and cover it, leave it there for 2 days. It's serious, check YouTube if you don't believe it. It works, it dries the water out!

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_nooby For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Malayman98
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default This is the easiest way

Just get some dried rice and put your moto g/any phone dropped in water in a container and close it.Let it in there for overnight and tupp your pgone is alright

The Imp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Moto Go falls into closet.

This happened yesterday noon. It was submerged for around 6-8 secs b4 I pulled it out. It looked like it was working fine. Nevertheless I took off the cover and tried drying it with a towel before I switched it off. (Total time till here 30-40 secs). Being quite an impatient guy, I turned it on after a few mins. (Let's say under 10 mins so far). It turned on with no problem. As calls were to be made, I dialed a number. As I heard the ringing on the other side, I assumed all was fine. But tht was not yet to be. Notice me saying yet?! Yes, this one has a happy ending.

Moving on. The person on the other end of the line could not hear me other than in short bursts, like having a 1 sec break/pause in between conversations. I tried calls with the speaker phone switched on. But it kept turning off and on again between the ringing. I switched it off and took out the sim. I did not do that the first time (Very foolish of me). It was clearly damp. I went on to dry it with a towel. I turned the phone bck on. Calls were made but the same issues persisted. I tried playing some music but it would stop right after it started. This was where I started to get a bit worried. I took off the cover and vigorously swung/waved the phone about trying to force out any excess water. The effort was not futile. The song continued playing. I immediately make a call but the break was still very much there. This went on till late evening.

Before the day was over, everything was working fine. There were lags but tht was there when I bought the phone (28/05/14). I used a 4S before this, so forgive if I seem a bit harsh. Tht too was dropped in a river, drenched with curd milk and submerged in beer. It still worked fine till a guy snatched it from me.

Cheers!

PS: I did not have access to a blower/dryer or any rice but that is the way it should be done. I'm just posting here so those who don't have tht around might get a confidence boost. Hope this helps.

Darkshado
Old
Thanks Meter 435

DONATE TO ME
Adam Outler had a pretty good video about this. It basically said to remove power ASAP (i.e. open up the phone and disconnect the battery) and submerge everything in high purity ethyl or isopropyl alcohol to displace the water and dry it out much faster.
My phones: Galaxy Note II SGH-T889V (with LTE enabled / ext4 SD card support on TouchWiz ROMs), Motorola XT-1045 Moto G LTE (TWRP)
Previous phones: Nexus S GT-I9020A, Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M (Arpeggiomod ROM / Discussion, stock rooted ROM), Motorola XT-1032 Moto G.
Phones for which I play "tech support" for family and friends: Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, Galaxy Q SGH-T589R, Galaxy 551 GT-I5510M, LG C-800G Eclypse, Motorola XT-1032 Moto G