Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,170 Members 43,438 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Manual updateing...

Tip us?

Faznx92
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214
Default [Q] Manual updateing...

I'm on 13.3.1.0. But if I want to update to 13.3.2.2, do I need to update in order up to 13.3.2.2 or just update with the 13.3.2.2 bin?
I not a 100% sure but I want a correct answer.

ferrouskid
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faznx92 View Post
I'm on 13.3.1.0. But if I want to update to 13.3.2.2, do I need to update in order up to 13.3.2.2 or just update with the 13.3.2.2 bin?
If you put the 13.3.2.2 .bin file in the /storage partition of the kindle you can then swipe down to settings -> device -> software updates and it will be there. Then click update. If you switch on the internet and it will automatically do things for you, and rebooting and all that. I think that should answer your question.

Faznx92
Old
(Last edited by Faznx92; 23rd May 2014 at 08:54 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrouskid View Post
If you put the 13.3.2.2 .bin file in the /storage partition of the kindle you can then swipe down to settings -> device -> software updates and it will be there. Then click update. If you switch on the internet and it will automatically do things for you, and rebooting and all that. I think that should answer your question.
I know about manual updating and over the air updating (which I'll never use). I'm looking for a sure answer, is each update bin the full system update or is it upgraded in update steps (ex. On 13.3.1.0 --> 13.3.2.0 --> to upgrade to 13.3.3.0)? I think the bin file holds the full updated system but I'm not quite sure.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” ― Dr. Seuss

ferrouskid
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
I know about manual updating and over the air updating (which I'll never use). I'm looking for a sure answer, is each update bin the full system update or is it upgraded in update steps (ex. On 13.3.1.0 --> 13.3.2.0 --> to upgrade to 13.3.3.0)? I think the bin file holds the full updated system but I'm not quite sure.
I have opened one up before with 7zip archive manager, seemed to have absolutely everything, including all the preloaded apps (Silk, Camera & etc.). Based on that I made a little hunch, that the build.prop is the key to the update.I got it modified and put together back into a .bin, the kindle DID recognise it as an update but it failed to validate. Now I think that is because I didn't get it signed, and after some reasearch I found the Dalvik VM signature and and try to sign the "update" with that. If that fails, then I would like to use binwalk -a linux tool that allows people to analyse .bin files. With that I want to get the file signature from the new update- sign the 13.3.1 with that sginature and "update". I will attempt live booting ubuntu or something- and then use binwalk, but I'll try and see how it goes. Im telling you about this because I think that if I were to make a new thread Amazon would patch that sort of stuff.
I hope this might work- cuz if it does no waiting for ninety days, right?
If it works.
Which it might.

tl3
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Just update to 13.3.2.2. The only differences between 13.3.2.1 and 13.3.2.2 are mainly with WhisperLink and WhisperPlay to support the release of Amazon's fireTV:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=12

FYI.