Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,793 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Pretty Ticked Off

Tip us?
 
uchua
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newark
Default [Q] Pretty Ticked Off

So I've spent the past few months "tinkering" with my Galaxy S4. Unfortunately I have an MF3. Which means the phone is virtually worthless for any "tinkering" beyond the fairly simple process of rooting. Now explanation aside I have a question:

Is there any argument or means by which I could ***** out AT&T and get them to replace this pile with a one that doesn't have the bootloader locked? And, failing that, can you take one of the Google Play edition GS4's to AT&T being as they're not locked down like Alcatraz?
 
xDark-Moonx
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 20
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchua View Post
So I've spent the past few months "tinkering" with my Galaxy S4. Unfortunately I have an MF3. Which means the phone is virtually worthless for any "tinkering" beyond the fairly simple process of rooting. Now explanation aside I have a question:

Is there any argument or means by which I could ***** out AT&T and get them to replace this pile with a one that doesn't have the bootloader locked? And, failing that, can you take one of the Google Play edition GS4's to AT&T being as they're not locked down like Alcatraz?
if im not mistaken, you can root MF3 and install SafeStrap and there is a Google Edition rom that will function on it...apart from that, im not sure what else can be done as i have MK2 and have been using safestrap and BlackBox custom rom...

Cant you just insert an AT&T sim card into the google edition GS4 and it should get service..
 
Cozmo1
Old
#3  
Cozmo1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 134
Posts: 250
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas

 
DONATE TO ME
It depends on how honest you want to be. AT&T didn't make you buy the S4. If you're under the 30 day mark then you can return it for exchange. After that, asides from cheating them there's not much you can do.
Still with that being said, it's a rather good phone and you can still customize it a lot even with the bootloader being locked. Xposed Installer gives you a lot of customization options on stock or you can use safestrap if that's your thing. Don't forget that you have Odin files to restore your phone in case something messes up so the control is back in our hands for the most part. Regardless the phone is far from worthless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[ROM][2.3.6] AT&T Galaxy S II - CoZ ROM is here.
[GUIDE] Prep for App2SD and why do a "Wipe data / factory reset"
Get a Dropbox account. Click here!

Samsung Galaxy S IV (Current)
Samsung Galaxy S III (Backup)
Samsung Galaxy S II (Testing# 2)
Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013
HP Touchpad
 
uchua
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newark
The main issue I have with it is all the AT&T and Samsung garbage eats up about 60% of the RAM, S Voice is an utterly worthless piece of software, and you shouldn't be kept from doing what you want with a piece of hardware you pay an immense amount of money for. I'll definitely be buying my phones directly from Google from now on but I'm still just really annoyed at the limitations AT&T has put on this phone. From what I can tell no other carrier has made it this much of a problem to stick a custom ROM on this phone.

I realize there's still some customization you can do with the phone but from what I can tell so far if you root the phone the update service no longer functions and on top of that there's still all the garbage lumped in to the stock ROM that it apparently needs to function without experiencing strange issues.
 
markdexter
Old
#5  
markdexter's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 261
Posts: 1,092
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchua View Post
The main issue I have with it is all the AT&T and Samsung garbage eats up about 60% of the RAM, S Voice is an utterly worthless piece of software, and you shouldn't be kept from doing what you want with a piece of hardware you pay an immense amount of money for. I'll definitely be buying my phones directly from Google from now on but I'm still just really annoyed at the limitations AT&T has put on this phone. From what I can tell no other carrier has made it this much of a problem to stick a custom ROM on this phone.

I realize there's still some customization you can do with the phone but from what I can tell so far if you root the phone the update service no longer functions and on top of that there's still all the garbage lumped in to the stock ROM that it apparently needs to function without experiencing strange issues.
I'm gonna get some *hi* for saying, what I'm about to say........ However...... I had the same feelings. I have owned android phones since they where invented!!!
The past 3 months I've been using a phone called an ..........IPhone 5S!!!!!!! I must say, I've never been so comfortable owning a phone, I'm not checking it constantly worrying if I have battery drain issues, not worrying about custom kernels, not worrying about what color I should use for my battery indicator. Etc...etc.....etc...

I know it's apple. But. It is a really good solid device, everything works when it has to, the camera and sound quality is amazing. I've just felt at ease using it.

Don't get me wrong, I still use my nexus 7 allot at home, that's where I get my android fix.
But, a device I rely on for important calls, emails, and using facetime to see my children when I'm working away, for me I'm very happy.
I don't work for apple if that's what your thinking!! Also this is my personal opinion. Whether your interested or not.😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
HTC MAGIC...SAMSUNG GALAXY....GALAXY S2.......HTC INCREDIBLE.......SAMSUNG GALAXY S3.....GALAXY NOTE.......NOTE 2.........HTC ONE.......NEXUS 4...........GALAXY S4
 
jherring002
Old
#6  
jherring002's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 80
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdexter View Post
I'm gonna get some *hi* for saying, what I'm about to say........ However...... I had the same feelings. I have owned android phones since they where invented!!!
The past 3 months I've been using a phone called an ..........IPhone 5S!!!!!!! I must say, I've never been so comfortable owning a phone, I'm not checking it constantly worrying if I have battery drain issues, not worrying about custom kernels, not worrying about what color I should use for my battery indicator. Etc...etc.....etc...

I know it's apple. But. It is a really good solid device, everything works when it has to, the camera and sound quality is amazing. I've just felt at ease using it.

Don't get me wrong, I still use my nexus 7 allot at home, that's where I get my android fix.
But, a device I rely on for important calls, emails, and using facetime to see my children when I'm working away, for me I'm very happy.
I don't work for apple if that's what your thinking!! Also this is my personal opinion. Whether your interested or not.😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Apple is Okay, until you want to put personal videos on it,. Then its a pain in the neck to get Itunes to recognize them SO you can actually move them onto your device. That is why I choose Android over Apple.
 
jball
Old
#7  
jball's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 694
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amber
Most of us on XDA are flashaholics and enjoy Android as a hobby .I personally find Apple to simple but yes I'm sure great call quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Get Your Cargo to its Destination in 4×4 Military Operations Reborn

Racing games have evolved quite a bit since the days of Pole … more

Automate Your Device with Sfen

Changing the profile of yourdevice manually is now long forgotten. Since the advent of Android automation … more

Galaxy Photo Screen Lock Displays a Photo Slideshow on Your Lock Screen

Being the most often looked at part of our devices UI, the lock … more

Boost the LG G3 Speaker and Headphone Volume

It seems like OEMs are stepping up their game, with regards to thequality of their devices sound … more