Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,394 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do I update rooted butterfly S to Android 4.3

Tip us?
 
mngeow
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Smile How do I update rooted butterfly S to Android 4.3

Hello ,

I currently have a rooted HTC Butterfly S with Android 4.2 and the Maximus HD custom ROM installed. I want to update my phone to Android 4.3 to install some of the newer custom roms. I have no idea how to go about doing this and I don't wanna brick my phone .

I found a link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2422783 ) to download the stock ROM with 4.3 Android , will flashing it automatically update it?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
 
daorderdillon
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 606
Posts: 2,995
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: nassau

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngeow View Post
Hello ,

I currently have a rooted HTC Butterfly S with Android 4.2 and the Maximus HD custom ROM installed. I want to update my phone to Android 4.3 to install some of the newer custom roms. I have no idea how to go about doing this and I don't wanna brick my phone .

I found a link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2422783 ) to download the stock ROM with 4.3 Android , will flashing it automatically update it?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
I dentify your phone first
Are u s off?
Are u rooted?
Are u super cid?
What is your cid?

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
CURRENTLY USING

HTC ONE M8



PAST DEVICES

HTC BUTTERFLY S 901S

HTC BUTTERFLY X920D

HTC AMAZE

HTC WILDFIRE S
 
mngeow
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2014
I'm not S-off and do not have supercid , but my phone is rooted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daorderdillon View Post
I dentify your phone first
Are u s off?
Are u rooted?
Are u super cid?
What is your cid?

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
daorderdillon
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 606
Posts: 2,995
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: nassau

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngeow View Post
I'm not S-off and do not have supercid , but my phone is rooted.
Well u should start

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
CURRENTLY USING

HTC ONE M8



PAST DEVICES

HTC BUTTERFLY S 901S

HTC BUTTERFLY X920D

HTC AMAZE

HTC WILDFIRE S
 
koniiiik
Old
#5  
koniiiik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 120
Posts: 248
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bratislava

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngeow View Post
Hello ,

I currently have a rooted HTC Butterfly S with Android 4.2 and the Maximus HD custom ROM installed. I want to update my phone to Android 4.3 to install some of the newer custom roms. I have no idea how to go about doing this and I don't wanna brick my phone .

I found a link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2422783 ) to download the stock ROM with 4.3 Android , will flashing it automatically update it?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
The stock 4.3 ROM won't update your firmware (hboot, radio and all the other stuff). You can update that manually even without S-OFF, I've written the instructions multiple times in this forum.
If you install the 4.3 stock ROM and then some other 4.3 ROM, you will accomplish exactly the same thing as if you simply installed the other 4.3 ROM straight away. In other words, installing the 4.3 stock ROM doesn't make any difference at all if you intend to install something else anyway.
Now using:
HTC Butterfly S stock ROM for now

Retired:
HTC Desire RSK Satellite 8.0
MWg Atom Life CE OS 5.2.19971 Build 19971.1.2.6 PV T2M
 
mngeow
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Feb 2014
ahh I get it. I can't seem to be able to find those instructions that you've posted , tried checking your profile but couldn't find anything.

would also like to clarify , I want to install this custom rom on my butterfly s ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2557441) however I saw that it says Android 4.3 ,will I be able to install it on my phone which is running on android 4.2.2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by koniiiik View Post
The stock 4.3 ROM won't update your firmware (hboot, radio and all the other stuff). You can update that manually even without S-OFF, I've written the instructions multiple times in this forum.http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php? you install the 4.3 stock ROM and then some other 4.3 ROM, you will accomplish exactly the same thing as if you simply installed the other 4.3 ROM straight away. In other words, installing the 4.3 stock ROM doesn't make any difference at all if you intend to install something else anyway.
 
koniiiik
Old
#7  
koniiiik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 120
Posts: 248
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bratislava

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngeow View Post
ahh I get it. I can't seem to be able to find those instructions that you've posted , tried checking your profile but couldn't find anything.
For example, see the following post, items 5, 6 and 7 are relevant to you: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...59&postcount=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngeow View Post
would also like to clarify , I want to install this custom rom on my butterfly s ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2557441) however I saw that it says Android 4.3 ,will I be able to install it on my phone which is running on android 4.2.2?
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, but just to be on the safe side, always take a nandroid backup before installing anything. If it does not run, try to install the latest firmware as explained in the post linked above and try again.
Now using:
HTC Butterfly S stock ROM for now

Retired:
HTC Desire RSK Satellite 8.0
MWg Atom Life CE OS 5.2.19971 Build 19971.1.2.6 PV T2M

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes