Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,840 Members 40,527 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" (SCH-i705) Questions

Tip us?

dynamicengineer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Verizon Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" (SCH-i705) Questions

I've done quite a bit of researching but cannot find an answer I'm confident in, so...

Has anyone had success getting telephony to work on these devices? I recently updated to 4.1.2 with the OTA update from this forum. However, before I did that, I was on 4.0.4 (factory), then on the DoubleShot kernel and rom. I rooted, unlocked the boot loader, modified framework-res.apk to enable phone (one of the bools files has a line something like "phone_enabled...>false<...". After doing this, recompiling, and reflashing the rom, I was able to place outgoing "true voice calls" -- no Google Voice, no Groove IP, but a REAL voice call (with 1G or whatever the base mode for voice/SMS is). These calls originated from the VZW number associated with the sim card in the Tab. I was NOT able to receive incoming calls or send/receive SMS text. I tried everything I could think of to get these to work -- no go.

---Fast forward, aver several days of flawless outgoing phone calls---

Flashed the OTA 4.1.2 (and TrustZone and the modem) and everything worked initially. Tried to edit the framework-res.apk again, exactly as before. re-applied the update with CWM (and TZ/modem to be safe) with edited framework-res. CWM said successful, but the device would hang on the boot screen.

Any ideas how to enable phone, or why my previous method didnt work with 4.1.2?
The Following User Says Thank You to dynamicengineer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dynamicengineer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Also, if anyone knows how to get rid of the ongoing WiFi notification (even when connected, wifi off, etc), that would be AWESOME! I know some people long-press the notification -> app info -> kill app, and that works until wifi status changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to dynamicengineer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrHyde03
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,110

DONATE TO ME
I've actually been trying to figure out the telephony thing myself but could not find it. Glad you did! I'll see if I what I can do also. I'd love to enable telephony on this tab and include it in doubleshotrom. Let me know if you figure it out.

For wifi - view this thread regarding the S3 [HACK] Remove WiFi reminder
It used to work on this tab on 4.0.4, don't know if it changed in 4.1.2
In the spirit of open source, feel free to use/reuse anything I post unless otherwise noted in the thread OP. Just be sure to give proper credits and a link to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone
Insanity: buying phones with locked bootloaders over and over again and expecting different results.
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5
SlymHyde -= Fast & Stable =-

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
GUIDE - Root
My github

dynamicengineer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I'm glad you saw this thread MrHyde. I've been following along silently in the development forum (almost to 10 posts haha)

Do you have any ideas what the difference might be between 4.0.4 and 4.1.2 that would cause such a different result (failure to boot after flashing)?

I'm going to try going to the DoubleShot JB kernel (hopefully tonight) and see if it helps. Does the new DoubleShot for JB swap the storage mount points? If it does, how can I disable it? Switching back and forth between installs that don't BOTH do this is becoming a problem for me.

MrHyde03
Old
(Last edited by MrHyde03; 4th April 2013 at 04:37 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,110

DONATE TO ME
For the failure to boot, you need to install the TZ (trust zone). It's listed under the Requirements heading in the DoubleshotROM thread, or you can grab it from the OTA thread.

Yes the new dsr does swap the sdcards. To stop it, three ways:
1. After flashing, use adb (from CWM) or the built in file manager (TWRP) to delete /system/etc/init.d/ExtSd2InternalSd
2. Open up the ROM zip and go to /system/etc/init.d/ExtSd2InternalSd and delete it, then flash
3. Flash it normally, then use a file manager to delete /system/etc/init.d/ExtSd2InternalSd, then reboot.

Edit: just read it again and completely missed the point lol. I dont know why it would fail, but im gonna take a look. Cant imagine its much
In the spirit of open source, feel free to use/reuse anything I post unless otherwise noted in the thread OP. Just be sure to give proper credits and a link to the OP.

Quote:
Insanity: buying phones with locked bootloaders over and over again and expecting different results.

GUIDE - Root
My github

MrHyde03
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,110

DONATE TO ME
Could you tell me exactly which file contained this phone bool? I can't seem to find it..

Quote:

GUIDE - Root
My github

dynamicengineer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Decompile framework-res.apk

Look in /res/values/bools.xml

Toward the bottom, a like says something like "phone_enabled=false"

Remember, doing this, I was only able to make outgoing calls--no incoming, no sms.

MrHyde03
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,110

DONATE TO ME
You mean "config_voice_capable"?
I get a bootloop.. I think the framework-res.apk isn't recompiling properly. logcat just shows a bunch of errors

Quote:

GUIDE - Root
My github

dynamicengineer
Old
(Last edited by dynamicengineer; 6th April 2013 at 09:02 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Yeah that's it. What are you using to repack?

Can you post your error log?

dynamicengineer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Now that i have time to look into it more, i think it may have something to do with the non-hlos modem we've flashed for the OTA JB.

do you think this is feasible?