5,606,530 Members 33,473 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How I fixed my headphone jack on my phone.

Tip us?

Juice3250
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 109
Default How I fixed my headphone jack on my phone.

So, I was never a believer when I heard of people cleaning the lint out of their headphone jacks and getting them to work again.

That is, until I found a quick and easy solution to fix it. I've read of people using compressed air, paper clips and electric parts cleaners. So I had some duct tape handy and an idea popped into my head. I took a small strip of tape and twirled it into a small enough stick shape, inserted it into the jack and turned it and pulled it out. I did this several times removing a tiny amount of lint each time. The amount of lint that I pulled out was so small that I didn't think it was going to make a difference. Then I plugged in my headphones and, bam, they worked like new!

As a side note, the jack on my phone is loose and wiggly, so naturally I thought that maybe the connections inside the phone were loose and I was going to have take the phone apart to try and fix it. My headphones would connect and disconnect whenever I would wiggle or even touch my headphone jack and it gradually got worse. Then one day it stopped working altogether.

This is not some gimmick. Give it a try. And never insert anything metal or sharp into the jack. You could damage the contacts.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juice3250 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Taroven
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice3250 View Post
This is not some gimmick. Give it a try. And never insert anything metal or sharp into the jack. You could damage the contacts.
I'm a diehard lurker, but I have to bump this. Just fixed the exact same issue on a heavily abused Razr Maxx that I'd received from a friend, after months of dealing without headphones.

If you shine a light into the headphone jack and can't see the contacts at the very bottom, it's definitely lint that's keeping the jack from working. Personally, I had to use a paperclip to loosen it up a bit, but I'm pretty sure mine was a special case. Don't attempt with anything metal/sharp unless you have a light touch, and the tape on its own isn't helping.