5,604,122 Members 48,987 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Proximity Sensor ADC Value - Please Weight In

Tip us?

bnevets27
Old
(Last edited by bnevets27; 14th November 2013 at 12:21 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default Proximity Sensor ADC Value - Please Weight In

My current Note has the proximity senor issue where it thinks my face is to the phone all the time and therefore gestures don't work and the screen goes black instantly when making a call. This has been outlined in a few threads. Here are two good ones:

This post has actual values for ADC:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post3234634

Another with the same problem:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2520118

I looked at a new note today that Bell is going to let me exchange my current note for. Its value with nothing close to it is about 30.

I would like to know what other peoples ADC values are. Simply enter *#0*# into your dialer, then choose sensors and you will see the ADC value with the proximity sensor. Could you please report that value with nothing close to the screen.

I'm trying to determine what the normal ADC value should be on a new working phone so I can figure out if the new phone (that has an ADC value of 30) is ok or not.

Thanks and hopefully this will help out other people.

Barbuxx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mine seems to stay at 33-35 until about 20cm away from the screen then starts increasing.

tWoBrO
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I don't have any problem what so ever with the screen turning off/on when calling. Not even once failed.

My values for ADC are 0, constantly 0, if nothing in front of the device. If i approximate my hand it starts increasing, and then the screen turns green and the phone vibrates when the proximity sensor goes from 0 to 1. If i put my finger on top of the sensor it stays at ADC 1003.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

N9005 with MJ7 firmware.

antt00
Old
Thanks Meter 341
Mine is always below 10 if nothing is in front. Fluctuate between 5 and 9.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Asus P525 (WM5 - WM6) ---> HP Ipaq 612c (WM6.5) ---> HTC HD2 (WM6.5.x - Android) ---> Samsung Galaxy S2 ---> Samsung Note 2 --> Samsung Note 3

ALEXNDR ROM (XXUENC2) // Clean Custom Kernel // Naxos Theme // TSF Shell Launcher

williamyi
Old
Thanks Meter 241
My ADC values fluctuate between 30 - 34. @antt00, how come yours so low?

kiru
Old
Thanks Meter 16
My first note idiled at around 29-30. My second replacement note idles between 0-1. I had proximity problems with my S4 so I check it religiously. While values around 30 would be okay for now, but you may run into problems later. The problems come when you have some dust that gets stuck inside on the sensor and causes a higher adc value. This is what causes the sensor to not work correctly. I have to take apart my S4 every 3 month or so just the clean it and then the number will drop back down to 6. Also keep in mind, the reading goes up a bit in direct sunlight. IMO I would get one that idles around 0, this will give you more headroom for dust.
The Following User Says Thank You to kiru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bnevets27
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't get a chance to read all the posts before I went and got an exchange. For some reason their system let me exchange it even though I past 15 days so I kind of jumped on the chance. The new note at home reads around 20. Not as low as some but better then what I returned. I'll have to see how long it lasts and I'll keep and eye on it. It definitely sounds like its a combination of possibly bad/poor sensors. Dust build up inside which is a design flaw. And maybe poor calibration from samsung as it look like from a post I've see that you can re-calibrate the sensor, though I not sure if that may have some negative effects.

I didn't try and push them to let me cherry pick a phone, they were nice enough to let me check the ADC value and firmware version before the exchange. Hopefully this one works out or I'll have to try and get a better one. I'll see in time as my previous one definitely had the dust issue. It was pretty obvious because I could lower the ADC value if I blew compressed air in the ear piece.

PlutoDelic
Old
Thanks Meter 40
i did notice the proximity sensor screwing around on phone calls, it would delay getting the screen back after distancing from it...

the procedure you gave me shows ADC values contentiously flipping from 9 to/through 13 (sometimes chronologically)

putting your hand over seems to green-out the window showing that proximity is working, nice, however, im having shadow greens, meaning, just leaving it on the table, once a minute it goes green, yet nothing moves over it...strange.

ps, no plastic cover used, dont see a reason to use protection with this quality

antt00
Old
Thanks Meter 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamyi View Post
My ADC values fluctuate between 30 - 34. @antt00, how come yours so low?
I have no idea.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1384420933370.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2391323  
Asus P525 (WM5 - WM6) ---> HP Ipaq 612c (WM6.5) ---> HTC HD2 (WM6.5.x - Android) ---> Samsung Galaxy S2 ---> Samsung Note 2 --> Samsung Note 3

ALEXNDR ROM (XXUENC2) // Clean Custom Kernel // Naxos Theme // TSF Shell Launcher

williamyi
Old
Thanks Meter 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by antt00 View Post
I have no idea.

Have you applied the glass m sp gotten from Alex?