[Q] Lumia 920 (Black) Tethering Issue, NOT THE NORMAL ISSUE!!!

18th February 2014, 03:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
Hey everyone... I just spent a good bit of time surfing/searching the forums for a problem similar to mine, but found none. ATT tech help hasnt been much help as of yet, but Im going to try to call one more time today.

My phone is a Lumia 920 with the latest updates. I have NOT installed the APN settings app or anything like that. I have a 10GB shared data plan with my wife.

Here is the issue...if I have recently power cycled my phone, I can go to internet sharing, turn it on, connect whatever I want to my phone, and it works perfect. I can then finish, turn off internet sharing (or let it time out), and later turn it back on again...MAYBE.

Sometimes it will let me connect 2 or 3 more times, then I get the standard error message "Connection Not Shared. To enable tethering on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611.". If I power cycle the phone though, I am able to tether again just fine for a few sessions.

Anyone else having this intermittent issue? I dont want to have to keep power cycling my phone. Thats a PITA and in my opinion unnecessary. Im tethering to a Nexus 7 when I do it...and between this issue and NFC being lame, Im about to switch to a Galaxy phone haha. And I LOVE my WP8, so that hurts for me to say!

Any ideas?

Justin
16th March 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #2  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 9

129 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser

Hey everyone... I just spent a good bit of time surfing/searching the forums for a problem similar to mine, but found none. ATT tech help hasnt been much help as of yet, but Im going to try to call one more time today.

My phone is a Lumia 920 with the latest updates. I have NOT installed the APN settings app or anything like that. I have a 10GB shared data plan with my wife.

Here is the issue...if I have recently power cycled my phone, I can go to internet sharing, turn it on, connect whatever I want to my phone, and it works perfect. I can then finish, turn off internet sharing (or let it time out), and later turn it back on again...MAYBE.

Sometimes it will let me connect 2 or 3 more times, then I get the standard error message "Connection Not Shared. To enable tethering on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611.". If I power cycle the phone though, I am able to tether again just fine for a few sessions.

Anyone else having this intermittent issue? I dont want to have to keep power cycling my phone. Thats a PITA and in my opinion unnecessary. Im tethering to a Nexus 7 when I do it...and between this issue and NFC being lame, Im about to switch to a Galaxy phone haha. And I LOVE my WP8, so that hurts for me to say!

Any ideas?

Justin

So I recently gave up my unlimited data plan and went to the same 10 gig plan, I never really use more than that anyways and it's absurdly cheaper. That said, I too get the same error. Before I thought it was because I was on an unlimited data plan, After spending an hour in chat with a tech support rep, he's telling me it's that my OS Version 8.0.10521.155 is wrong, and he wanted to know where I got it from. I told him I ota'ed it, which wasn't a complete lie, but it is an ATT phone that I loaded a Rogers ROM onto and then the ATT Developer ROM which then OTA'ed to GDR3 .

I had to run and didn't get to finish the chat, but I mostly wanted to check and see if you too had loaded the Developer ROM onto your 920, or if you managed to fix your issue.

I have a feeling that they won't send me a replacement because I voided whatever implied warranty with switching the firmware. But I'll fight that fight tomorrow.
21st March 2014, 12:22 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etaduck

So I recently gave up my unlimited data plan and went to the same 10 gig plan, I never really use more than that anyways and it's absurdly cheaper. That said, I too get the same error. Before I thought it was because I was on an unlimited data plan, After spending an hour in chat with a tech support rep, he's telling me it's that my OS Version 8.0.10521.155 is wrong, and he wanted to know where I got it from. I told him I ota'ed it, which wasn't a complete lie, but it is an ATT phone that I loaded a Rogers ROM onto and then the ATT Developer ROM which then OTA'ed to GDR3 .

I had to run and didn't get to finish the chat, but I mostly wanted to check and see if you too had loaded the Developer ROM onto your 920, or if you managed to fix your issue.

I have a feeling that they won't send me a replacement because I voided whatever implied warranty with switching the firmware. But I'll fight that fight tomorrow.

I only did the official updates on the phone. Actually...I wasnt really keeping up with the updates because it drove me crazy in the past haha. When I had my Focus with WP7 on it, it was like an obsession. So now its more of a nice surprise when I see the update alert haha.

But in any case....Ive talked to ATT twice now, and they want me to factory reset. They're theory is that something got messed up during an update. A blip in the data transfer, minute loss of WiFi interrupting things, etc. The problem with this is, I DO NOT feel like resetting the phone. I have over 10gb of stuff Ide need to move off. I dont watn all that backed up to the cloud... I have my settings, homescreen, apps...its all how I want it and I hate putting things back. But, I will probably do it. Because the alternative is getting a different phone and I cant do that until December.

This is getting really old. Im at the point where when Im packing up to head home from work, I turn my phone off, then turn it on as Im walking down the steps. I wait until I can turn it on before I start my car, so my tablet connects quicker. If I wait too long between turning the phone on, and trying to activate internet sharing, or if I activate it, and it times out...no guarantee it will turn back on again. Thats another thing, Ide like to be able to tell it NOT to turn off. If Im running into the store real fast or something, I want to leave it hot. My tablet goes to sleep on loss of power, so I cant even leave it in the car because its disconnected anyway.

Annoying...

Justin
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread